El-J 02 ~ Rise of the Iron Curtain

El Justo

Deity

i present here today the forthcoming Cold War Deluxe Fifties succession game. it encompasses the years 1950-1960 and is as close to a simulation of real history for this time period that we could manage :)

i'm taking players, too :) so far, there's two signups - myself and Klyden. i'd imagine that we'd have room for anywhere from 2-5 or more players depending upon interest level etc.

the files aren't ready for DL yet - however, they will be shortly (within a few days from the date of this post).

Roster
El Justo
Klyden
Kraznaya
ThERat
soul warrior
Tasslehoff
Tad Empire 0 o

reserve: cubsfan6506

Our civ
to be determined/discussed

Details
~ this is not like most SGs in that it's a scenario/mod - probably moreso a mod than a scenario due to its global specs and the emphasis on building and expanding but no settlers.

~ turn sets will be 5 but some wriggle room to go lower or higher will be there depending upon the flow of the game and the managment needed. it'll likey mean roughly 1 turn set per week.

~ all cities are pre-placed as of January 1950. each turn is equal to 2 weeks of real time.

~ total number of civs: 31

~ there's two locked alliances (reds vs blues) and a non-alligned set.

~ multiple victory conditions (VPs, conquest, domination, space race)

~ medium to high level micromanagement depending upon which civ we choose

~ map size: 180x180; turn times are swift, generally under 3 mins or so at worst

~ combined warfare tactics is predominant, especially for the high end civs

~ strong emphasis on economy and science

~ for more in depth scenario info: The Cold War Deluxe - Fifties

Civ choice

now, this is where i'm up for anything. by this i mean that i've played just about all of the positions (give or take). so whichever one that might be most desired by the roster would be fine with me.

keep in mind that the sexier the civ, the more intensive the MM'ing. of course, it's completely bearable. but my point is that bigger isn't always better. that being said :) here is a brief run down on the different tiers of civs, their difficulties, plus, minuses, etc:

the US and USSR obviously are right at the top. lots of cities, lots of population, lots of gold, science is great, kick-ass unit builds, and lots of way-kewl imp's and wonders. this adds up to a good deal of MM'ing.

UK, France, and to a lesser degree, China-N Korea ar ethe next tier of civs. UK has some bangin' hardware but are stretched a little thin and the gold intake isn't what we'd want it to be. France is in a similar pickle but their hardware and units builds aren't as sexy as the Tommies. China must essentially build themselves from scratch after the end of the Civil War in '49.

Canada, Australia, Italy, Arab League, Isreal, Spain, Portugal, Sweden-Finland, Holland-Belgium, India, Brazil, Argentina-Chile-Bolivia, RoK-PI-RoC, Iran-Pakistan, S Africa are all imo middle tiered civs. they all either have decent pop centers, good hardware, or a combo of both.

there's the crappy civs, too, like Afghanistan, North Africa, SE Asia, Indonesia and a few others. i wouldn't recommend any of these civs though (some central and s american ones here, too).

nonetheless, i open it for discussion :) i mean, the civ we might want to run with. you can find all kinds of useful and extra info on the scenario in that link in post #1.

Rules & Regs

- 31 total civs

- 264 total turns in the scenario; base unit of time equals two (2) weeks, 1950-1960

- it's a no-raze game. see info on the no raze patch for more details.

- no settlers, culture flips, changing govt types (they're locked), barbarians, or air and sea trade

- Conquest, Domination, Victory Point, and Space Race victory condition in effect

- 28,000 total VPs needed for Victory Point win

- 66% population and terrain needed for Domination victory

- Reverse Capture the Flag is in effect; the "raw materials" unit is the Flag Unit

- any friendly unit with an A/D value can "capture" the raw materials units

- five (5) pts awarded each turn for occupying a victory point location

- one (1) pt for each safe return and redemption of "raw material" units

- Retain Culture on Capture

- Movement Rate Along Roads: 6

- Food Consumption/Citizen: 1

- Preserve Random Seed is in effect

- City Sizes: town 1-24, city 25-49, metro 50+

- AI Default Difficulty Level: Deity

- Minimum/Maximum Research Times: 3-10 turns

- Chance to Intercept Enemy Air Missions: 80%

- Cities Needed to Support an Army: 3

- Battle Created Unit: Great Leader

- handful of great wonders available to all civs that grant +2 free techs

- three (3) total eras; seventy-six (76) total techs

I want in. :D

Civ choices that I find interesting:

China NK, Israel, RoK-PI-RoC, France, Arab League.

Wow that was a lot, Each position sounds fun to play though.

nice :) i'll count you both in. keep in mind that we won't start for at least a week or so.

the AI difficulty level is Deity.

our difficulty will likely be Deity or Sid. now, don't be alarmed...these levels don't necessarily translate to those for regualr epic games. i mean, in terms of free units, etc. i would encourage all to check the CivP for the exact specs once the files are ready.

anyhow, the point is that on such high difficulty levels, we won't face the in-game difficulties like those in epic games. it's mainly the AI's aggression rates and build rates that are mostly affected.

i'll get more into it when i have some time later today :)

I have never done a succession game, so i think i'll just follow this one through.

I would like to see you guys pick a difficult civ :p

Verrrry tempted, but I am totally booked up. I'll be watching this one. Looks like a far better scenario than Firaxis ever came up with. Looks fun, I may have to download the scenario myself and play it on my own.

this scenario looks pretty cool....I'll give it a try (means sign up)

very nice ThERat :thumbsup: you're in.

my preferences to play would probably be UK, France, or Arab League maybe.

here's some more info:

there are a few key aspects to this mod that differ some from conventional mods and epic games. the first is the concept of "raw materials". now, for those familar with our Age of Imperialism scenario (AoI), you;ll know exactly what this is...in that they're units that are autorpoduced by certain city improvements and must be "captured" by a friendly ground unit w/ an A/D value (ie no arty) and then sent to a VP locale. once there, one (1) VP is wared along w/ 50 gold.

occupying a VP = 5 VPs per turn.

thus the two forms of accumulating VPs are the main ways to "win" the scenario.

think of the Middle Ages civ3conquests scenario where you have to "capture" the relic and return it back to Europe...it is the same concept.

these "raw materials" units are spawned by city imp's that are within the radius of certain resources. for example, Petroleum is within the city radii of both Dallas and Houston in the US. accordingly, these cities can build the Oil Fields improvement which spawns the "raw materials" every 10 turns. this applies to all strategic resources outside of the country ones. there are lots of them all over the map and their spawn rates vary due to their availability, preciousness, etc. so Uranium Mines spawn more often than, say, Bauxite Mines.

air and sea trade are disabled for this scenario. this is mainly done to reduce the turn times and to also "isolate" certain resources (eg the country ones).

in conjunction w/ the "raw materials", managing our economy, no matter who we play with, will be paramount. of course, the high end civs like the US and USSR have lots of room for growth and relatively high unit caps (free units as per govt type). however, there comes the time, playing as any civ, when we will have to decide where to stack up. this is b/c once we get close to the free unit cap for our govt type, the unit maintanance costs start kicking in...and let me tell ya - it can get ugly and fast, especially if there aren't sufficient reserves and we're in the midst of a war (war wearinees get be wicked for non-commie civs). so geenrating gold through the raw materials, road and highway construction, and tax dudes in the city screen.

population growth rates for TCW Fifties is much higher that standard civ3 rules. this allows for more chances for us to use the citizens once they grow large enough.

military strategy is most definitely used despite all of the other game elements. there are a few areas, i think, that merit discussion.

if we play as a blue civ and want to operate any form of a blue water navy, we'll absolutely have to make sure we have proper convoy duties. this means that we'll have to conduct routine screening and anti-submarine warfare (ASW) on the high seas. this is what the destroyers (DDs) and frigates (FGs) are in there for...to "detect invisible" subs that Ivan cranks out like there's no tomorrow (autoproduced in a few locations). protecting the carrier battle groups (CBGs) is another top priority for the blue civs, especially since the carrier units can't be replaced so quickly (unbuildable, autopro'd instead but not often). playing as Ivan means that sinking the CBGs is perhaps the top naval priority.

i normally like to build up a front line force of fighters and fighter bombers and use them in a first wave role (best D values). once i send these in and the coast is clear (ie no enemey interceptors), i send in the med and heavy bombers. of course, often times we won't have the luxury of stacking up on air units like that...and that's mainly due to which civ we take and economics.

regular Infantry units cost nothing against our unit cap (via gove type) nor do they cost against unit maintanance. iow, they're "free" with regard to our economy. all other units require maintanance. so when in doubt (ie on the verge of financial collapse, it can happen! trust me!), build regular infantry :)

lurker's comment: Lurker #00811208945230760009 reporting for duty. :salute:

i normally like to build up a front line force of fighters and fighter bombers and use them in a first wave role (best D values). once i send these in and the coast is clear (ie no enemey interceptors), i send in the med and heavy bombers.

Minor question here. Wouldn't those fighters (and bombers by extension) still be vulnerable to AA fire? I'm not an expert on modern combat so I'll take your word for the best strats, but what I found worked best in my AL game was to use artillery (which is much cheaper than bombers) as my bombardment too and use fighters purely for defense. But maybe NATO builds are better?

great to have you on board soul warrior :D long time, too, as they say :) and good to have you lurking choxhorn :thumbsup:

Kraznaya,
AA fire and SAMs do absolutely pose a threat. however, there won't be much we can do about it, i mean, in terms of actually combatting it. however, the flesh out method is very effective imo, especially for this scenario. as for the bombers v arty - yes, to a certain degree, the arty pieces can sometimes be more effective. however, the range of the aircraft and often times the bombardment rating and RoF (attack aircraft and med/heavy bombers in particular) for them are normally our best bet. this is mostly b/c we can conduct long range bombing missions and we won't have to be right up in the grill of our enemy.

I'll want to try this... but I havent played a Deity Game ever... so I might not be as good... but I want to try :) but were can you downlaod the Sanario

Top Bottom