1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

El-J 03 ~ Going Rogue, AoI Style

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by El Justo, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

Sucks to be the Brits. Losing 103 ships will hurt.

2. IvanDolvich2

IvanDolvich2 Order of Lenin

Not really, they are just getting what they deserve from the righteous forces of the Blessed Empire of the Sun.

"White Man's Burden" no more, we soldiers of the Divine Emperor with teach the peoples of the world how to live in harmony with the benevolent Japanese Hegemony.

3. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

Two attached pics:

The first is Zanzibar on the eve before its capture by Japanese forces.

The second is in Europe. The Emperor likes roads it appears, so workers are busy constructing many of them to improve communications, access and wealth for the Empire. Note the small world map in the lower left hand corner and how "green" African has become.

Attached Files:

4. IvanDolvich2

Bombardment: How far are you bombarding during your city assaults? Down to 1 HP for all defenders, down to red on all defenders? Down to Yellow for all defenders? Just curious.

That picture of the workers is hilarious.:lol: Not necessarily how I'd use them but funny none the less.

5. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

I don't know that we have any set thing we are doing as a team in terms of bombardments. Personally, I have been taking colonial defenders down to 2 hp. I still occasionally lose a unit, but it doesn't happen very often and lets me get to more cities that way I think. For tougher defenders (regulars and MG units), I either attack with corps or try to shell them down. It just sort of depends on the situation.

Where we have been attacking for the most part (Africa) it has been all colonials. I have run into some regulars, especially US regulars, but they are not upgraded yet (still 10-10 infantry).

For workers, while many people will stack them up to get faster builds out of doing things like roads, there is a huge price to pay in terms of efficiency when you are discussing 1 movement point workers. If it takes 6 turns to build a road and I have 6 workers, I can either stack them all together and have 3 completed road tiles (waste a turn every other turn moving) or 6 completed road tiles in the same amount of time. The big reason I am doing road building is to make it easier to deal with infiltrators along the front if the need arises and also to get more cash/science although our economy is disgusting as it is. In many spots, this will make it easier to come in with a team of miners to help up production (like we really need that as well, but.. ). I am all about cranking railroads out in a turn or mines in a turn as long as I can move a stack of engineers there and they can build in the same turn.

6. IvanDolvich2

Sounds good about the use of the workers. Also the bombardment scenario makes sense too.

Thanks

7. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

I was also varied in my attacks. It wasn't necessary knocking down colonials or cavs to redline. What was important was movement points. Gebs, cavs and Corps were very useful to use against cities with good cultural borders. In some cases, our borders went right up to their cities and I used howitzers and more regulars and vets. Elites I used for leader fishing which typically meant they were going up against some of the weakest units.

On worker turns, I was stacking but it was because I needed to create a one turn rail link to Scandanavia. I tend to make sure the workers I use can finish the job without any waste.

My city mm'ing this late in the game has been pretty sparse other than converting CE's to taxmen. Honestly, we could have abandoned our science buildings a long time ago and run purely on scientists for 4 turn research.

8. IvanDolvich2

Yeah, I was thinking about bringing on the Scientist Research regime.

Anyway, the point is to have fun, so its looking good.:p:goodjob:

9. Whomp

It's a mighty large empire so mm'ing at this point won't change the end game. Don't spend too much time on that since the turns will be long without it.

10. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

Wk 13, 1910

British fleet spotted south of Australia. Well, this is not good. No real ships in the area and defenses are thin. Rushing some stuff to deal with it.

Sink a US Dreadnaught in Los Angeles and also trash 2 airships in San Francisco. (I have been shelling US coastal cities, checking for ships).

Africa:

Zanzibar falls and all those nice Brit ships go away. We even get a Corps out of it. :D
    Bissau falls
    Conarky falls after a tough fight as Brit regulars are spotted there. Lost 2 infantry.
    Freetown falls
    Abidjan falls
    Dakar falls
    Villa Cisneros falls. 4 Brit Airships go up in flames.
    Ghardaia falls. Couple more Brit Airships go up in flames.

The British are down to 3 cities left in Africa. The French have 2. I should be able to capture them next turn hopefully. I will need to build some rail lines to push the advance to the north as communications are not that hot.

Turn is still in progress and I may wack the Boers this turn to get them out of the way.

We stand at 60% population and 58% world area at the moment, so we are getting there.

11. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Guys, let's agree to take London before we win Domination, even if it means to artificially slow the conquest! Kly, I am absolutely stunned with the speed of your progress!

12. IvanDolvich2

London:
    My Vote is for taking London. :goodjob: I like the style aspect of it and it matches the defiant tone of the game when it was first discussed as a goal for the Team. A domination win is very possible and does not in my opinion present a significant challenge, its just a matter of how soon.

In order to Take London I propose:
    - moving forces from Africa to Europe once the Conquest is complete
    - Taking out France and Brest and the Lowlands for close continental ports
    - Allying and ROP with Germany will help here.
    - Destroy Spain and Portugal on the Iberian Peninsula
    - Conquest of Italy is an option
    - Build steam transports starting now in Scandinavia as we already have port cities there.
    - work all available Naval Forces through the Med
    - Build assault destroyers in Africa and the Med using short rush capabilities of cities with production of 50 spt or more.

- Even out the lines in Central America taking all territory up to the Mexican Range.
    - Work a slow conquest of South America, maybe only on city per turn, with a minimal flow of reinforcements to that theater

13. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

While some good goals to have, it unfortunately does not match what is going on in the game currently.

In South America, we have very defensible lines right now as it is. To go further would require a lot of reenforcements. There is no real amount of artillery to speak of and while the fleet has handed out a pounding to the US, we have taken some losses as well and will continue to take some losses, although we are on the verge of having control of the area. I do have troops en-route to the theater, along with some workers, but it will be a couple of turns before they get there and no artillery has really been sent. IMO, it would be far easier to link up with forces from Africa and making a push on the west coast of South America if that is what we want to do. My plans for the area are to capture the islands in the area (we have all but Cuba and Kingston and Kingston may fall this turn). After that, Central America and Belize City should be reduced next before going on any major adventure in South America. There are also some naval units incoming as well for reenforcements and I have started building some more capital ships in the industrial areas of the Pacific.

Germany has control of Brest, so Brest as a base is out unless we want a major fight with Germany. They may well have Amsterdam before we are ready to strike. The Royal navy is around and we do not have control of the seas at all around the British Isles. (I have been speed building battleships in the Scandinavian ports and there will soon be a nice little fleet available, but still nothing on the scale of what will be needed to invade the British homeland). Last I checked, every single square of England had multiple units on it. I would estimate there are easy 400 ground units in England itself. (I will try to post some intel on this a bit later perhaps).

I do agree with the invasion of Europe from Africa. Something else to consider is do we want to try to link it all up? A campaign against the Balcans (no real amount of troops for offensive action and no artillery either really), Italy, Spain, and France could get overland communications going to allow a rail line from the Iberia area all the way to the Pacific is some bragging rights imo. There are also some Brit cities in the area (they hold Palermo and Gibraltar needs to go as well) and some Brit islands in the Atlantic near Africa that should be taken out to secure communications.

14. Whomp

When we planted on Africa we lost our objective of going after London. To me it was either domination or London but never both. If we continued to move through the Mediterranean and Panama Canal and not stop it could have been different.

If others want to take London after a domination victory I would say go ahead without me.

15. IvanDolvich2

So It looks like current votes are:

Taking London:

Tigranes: Yes
    IvanDolvich2: Yes
    Klyden: No (I think)
    Whomp: definitely No
    Cubsfan:
    Eazy:
    Adler:

Others can weigh in on the discussion too, but I don't want to have Whomp drop out if London is the decision.

I really think it is more for style points, and maybe playing on to take it after victory is the way to go.

16. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

In the very end I would say no. At first we should take out Africa and then proceed to South America and finish our domination victory. If then it is still not reached, we can think about invading Britain. But that will be a long and tough fight, even though we have now Scnadinavian ports building ships. And such an attack can only happen if we have secured our lines in Europe, too, meaning conquering the continent. As only then any invasion of Britain is doable, we will have reached domination victory. For me, the game will then be over.

BTW: I have my 8 2nd exam class works in the second and third week of June and won't be able to play in that time.

Adler

17. IvanDolvich2

current votes are:

Taking London:

Tigranes: Either/or
    IvanDolvich2: Yes
    Klyden: No (I think)
    Whomp: definitely No
    Cubsfan:
    Eazy:
    Adler: No

Right Now there are more No's than yes's and the team looks too divided to really make the London Operation viable. Realpolitik is the watch word.

I think we can close this one. No London as a main objective.

Primary Strategic Objective:
    Win by Domination.

18. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Well... To me this never was either -or. I just meant to win in style byo Domination a little later... We just 6% away from Victory and except for Russia the white men did not feel yet what is it like when East colonize West, not the other way around. I thought that we want real challenge to prove our worth against superior enemy, not colonials in Africa. It was given that human's will eventually beat Civ3 AI, the question was what's the most fun and glorious way to win... I really care about team consensus versus winning in style, so let's just get those 6% and set the bar in how fast we won with Empire like Japan :)

19. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

Week 13, 1910

Boers are done. Declared war, shelled, capture, out of game.

Killed Brit infiltrators except for 1 cav in the middle of the desert. Also wiped out a stack of Brits by Algiers. Kingston falls to the Japanese in the Carribean.

I am going to pass the save one turn earlier than I had originally planned. I have had some stuff come up and while I could get to it this weekend, figured I would give someone else the pleasure and keep it moving.

Some coordination:

There is a transport full of troops between NZ and Australia. It can reach either place in one move. This is in response to the Brit fleet in the area.

I was lining up a force to land in Cuba, but it might take an extra turn to allow the troops to heal up before you go. Santiago has a fair number of troops in it. I would wipe out Cuba, then land next to Beleze City and have a go at that. The Central American capital is very heavily defended with MG's, so a very tough nut to crack at the moment. You have a lot of artillery standing by in Manaus, but that can probably stay until you are ready to resume the offensive in South America.

Some troops and artillery are in Dar-es-Salaam, ready for the invasion of Madagascar. The Brits have around 10 troops per city, so a bit tougher nut to crack. You could have the fleet assist, but I think you are better off moving most of it around the horn of Africa as quickly as possible and up the Atlantic side to get some heavier naval units on that side of Africa.

Some reenforcements and a pile of transports are west of Cairo headed for Malta. After you take out Tunis, you can load up and cruise over to Palermo to get rid of the Brits there. The place has about 10 MG units, so good luck with that. :lol: More transports are headed up the Red Sea to help out and I think you can probably thin down the number of transports that have been operating in the Red Sea.

There are two stacks of engineers to build rails in Africa and another half stack becoming free. There are some other that will be built this turn and a stack of 8 finishing a mine in China. I would move them to Africa this next turn and put them to work getting a rail line up towards the north so you can shove most of the army up that way when you get time. There are two other half stacks that should be available the following turn and you can combine them to help build rail lines up that way.

Many of the coastal cities capture are working on harbors/international exchanges. I would complete them since they increase food in the water.

Shanghai has been the recreation place for tired troops from Africa. It is probably the closest barracks available for most things. Should have a pile of healthy troops there next turn and more the following turn.

Ivan, if you have any questions, please ask away and good luck!

Shame, I could have polished off the rest of mainland Africa during my 5 turns, but getting it down to 5 cities left between the Brits and French (2 for the Germans and Ottomans as well) is probably good enough. :king:

Attached Files:

20. IvanDolvich2

He He, I appreciate that you left me some fun in Africa.:D
    I got it.

I'll look it over and post a general stategy post and work on the turnset tomorrow.

What is the agreed length of time to have a turnset before handing it off?