eldar08: Gridlocked!

eldar

ChiefTank
An Emperor-level with a few restrictions. Interested? Read on....

C3C 1.22
Civ: America
Level: Emperor
World: Continents, 70% Water, Standard size, everything else random
Victory condition: Domination

Restrictions:
1. We are Americans, and everything must be built on a grid. Strict CxxC city placement. As we expand, we will "convert" the AIs' haphazard and disorganised "empires" to our rigid standard.
1a. If we can't place a city on the grid, we leave a hole.
1b. We may move our initial settler. Once our capital is in place, that sets it up for good.
1c. And yes, this includes anything we build overseas. Get your rulers out!

2. No culture may ever be built. The only exception is the Palace, which we have no choice over.
2a. That means we can't keep, if captured, the Temple of Artemis (if it's still working) or The Internet.

General rules:
1. If it's allowed in GOTM, it's allowed here.
2. I'm not a great whipper. I prefer a relaxed atmosphere... still it'd be nice if the next player were to acknowledge within 24-48 hours that they've got the save, and that they play it within 7 days of posting.
3. Have fun!

Roster:
eldar
Tad_Empire_O_o
CommandoBob
Othniel
?
?

Here's where we start:

And the save is attached below.

Attachments

• eldar08_T000_4000BC.SAV
    43.5 KB · Views: 237
  • eldar08_4000BC.jpg
    eldar08_4000BC.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,162
2. No culture may ever be built. The only exception is the Palace, which we have no choice over.

lurker's comment: No culture means no self-built wonders, small wonders included...which would mean no Forbidden Palace either. :eek:

This game sounds quite interesting, but I've decided in my heart that playing SGs usually won't work for me. I am terrible at paring down my turnlogs to managable detail levels, so the process gets very tedious to me. Civ starts to feel more like work and less like a game. I hope that doesn't discourage other players from joining this though! :p

Anyhow, best of luck on this game, eldar!

No self-built wonders is hardly a handicap. But consider no FP, no Libraries/Unis, and a rigid settling structure that will certainly make for some weird city locations... yeah this could play a notch higher than Emp! Or it might be stupidly easy.

lurker's comment: Long time no see, eldar! :)

How do you plan on making the dotmap? :lol: :p Will you settle better locations first and/or skip locations, or strictly spiral around?

My plate is absurdly full, otherwise I'd have really liked to play. Have fun!

Can I jion this game? :) this Variant sounds fun... & challenging as well :D

1. We are Americans, and everything must be built on a grid. Strict CxxC city placement. As we expand, we will "convert" the AIs' haphazard and disorganised "empires" to our rigid standard.

lurker's comment: It's not as though people don't raze a lot on high levels anyway. But as for the placement, that's going to be tough, especially if there's a lot of mountains...

1b. We may move our initial settler. Once our capital is in place, that sets it up for good.

You should probably move it across the river. From the looks of things, there's coast that will be 3 tiles away from your capital if you do so.

No Small wonders is going to be quite the challenge, and no non-captured Great wonders a smaller challenge but still a challenge. But no Temples, Cathedrals, Libraries, Unis, or RL's- that's going to be a big one. Keeping citizens happy will be quite the challenge without temples and cathedrals, and the lack of science buildings will stagnate your scientific progress.

BTW, just to say, this variant would have been a LOT easier if you had a civ with the Militaristic Trait and a decent UU, since you're going to have to go for Conquest Victory, as SS and Culture are impossible, and Diplo and Domination, while not impossible, would be pretty difficult. And even the military victories are harder without the army-benifiting wonders.

I'll be watching eagerly though.

Well I don't think we'll be getting a Golden Age! Not sure why we'd need Temples/Caths for happiness - lux slider/war happiness ought to take care of it. If we have no Libs/Unis, we start playing no-research. And think of all those shields going into units and cash going into rushing/upgrades instead.... I actually expect this to play a lot more AW-like, with these restrictions. Not that I'd be crazy enough to bundle AW on top of everything else!

As for my choice of Civ - I kind of picked the Civ to suit the flavour, obviously :) Though I suppose the Aztecs were also kind of regular in how they built stuff, and would've made an excellent choice.

I'm just looking forward to seeing what the mini-map looks like!

This looks interesting, but I am heavily SG-ed at the moment. If things ease up, I might just join. Depends on whether theres a Rat 28, a Hawk 03, etc.

Sign me up for this one, if you will please. I wish I had thought of it! And a relaxed atmosphere certainly fits my play style.

Which way our grid going? 2N, 2E, 2W and 2S or 2NE, 2SE, 2SW and 2NW?

lurker's comment: Both ways are the same Way, CBob. ;)

lurker's comment: Actually no, you'd get twice as much cities from a 2NE kind of grid as from a 2N. I assume eldar wants a 2NE grid, with everything you can fit in.

Basically I want:
CxxCxxC
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
CxxCxxC

That's 2 in every direction....

lurker's comment:
I'm just looking forward to seeing what the mini-map looks like!

Maybe a bit like this. :D

Good luck with the game.

edit for another lurker's comment:

will you continue the grid overseas, or start a new grid on the other continent?

@Beorn-eL-Feared : 01010100 01101111 01110101 01100011 01101000 01100101 00100001

lurker's comment: eldar's right, 2 squares between the cities in every direction.

lurker's comment: Signing in as an official lurker... I am looking forward to this one. it is a tempting concept to try.

Well we have enough lurkers to start the game! :lol: Nobody tempted to de-lurk and join in? I still need one more to really get cracking....

Top Bottom