1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Elderly Man's Neck Broken During Confrontation With Cop

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JollyRoger, Sep 20, 2010.

1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

http://www.wftv.com/news/25075466/detail.html

So, who do you side with? Drunken 84 year-old veteran or 26 year old whippersnapper with a badge?

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

regardless of what the 84 year old did the 26 year old over reacted

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Oh yeah, a drunk out of his mind 84 year old grandpa's gonna take out a sober, fully alert 26 year old cop.

This new generation of American cops, they are weaklings!

4. Earthling

Earthling Deity

Interesting this happened in Florida since a history of several similar cases/assault laws and so on will probably make it so the cop does not get prosecuted or reprimanded (outside of just public opinion)

5. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Drunk people do stupid things. I'd want to hear just how the officer took down the 84-year-old before making any judgments.

I will say the fact that the police department wants charges pressed against the guy with the broken neck seems... rather odd.

6. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

An 84 year old tells a cop he will knock him out, so the cop breaks the old man's neck. Doesn't seem fair to me...

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Why didn't he just Taze him?

8. Immortal Ace

Immortal Ace Prince

Corrupt thug with a badge as always.

9. Ondskan

Ondskan Emperor

84 year old driving drunk. Needs to have his ass put in jail for a few days and license taken away, obviously. But generally cops today have little sense of dignity and honour.
    I've seen them punch kids and I've seen them break arms of young girls because they didn't like their attitude.

They are supposed to be trained, sober and the "better one" of the two. The one who does not overreact. The one who is calm at any situation. That, in many places (though definetly not all) is not the case anymore.

And I wonder why...doesn't the cop understand what will happen to an old fragile man if he abuses his strength? Doesn't he have a grandparent he cares about? Meh...

10. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

11. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Deity

The more I read about U.S police, the more disappointed I am with them. Police shouldn't act like this, it is rubbish!

12. Fetus4188

Fetus4188 Deity

Strange how the police you see in the news are always doing something newsworthy.

13. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

The old guy deserved it. People these days have no respect for authority.

14. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

The cop deserved to get punched in the face. Police these days have no sense of honor.

15. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

By daring to go against authority the man has dishonored himself. As an elder of the community he should not set a bad example for the young people by disrespecting authority. He should uphold morals, uphold the law, not assault the keepers of public order. Shows just how corrupt and chaotic Western society has become. Asia must not follow their examples.

16. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

sounds like these Florida cops are just as bad as Las Vegas cops.

Actually Las Vegas cops shoot first, and ask question later. We had a guy killed recently over a bag of pot. completely ridiculous.

It's time to hold law enforcement accountable. This internal review stuff has to go.

18. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

This seems to be their PR strategy: It's not our fault, we're just incompetent, weak, physically inept and frail!

19. Lord Baal

Lord Baal Deity

This is the part that really interested me. Sounds like they're approaching this investigation with a completely open mind, doesn't it?

This.

Why do you think they need tazers? Back in the day, non-lethal force involved beating black men half to death with batons. But now, the modern, weaker American cop can only seriously injure their average foe from a distance.

"So give us some more money!"

On a serious note, no matter what the 84 year old did the cop overreacted. That's if the 84 year old even went as far as the cops say; the eyewitness reports - admittedly only two of them - seem to dispute the cop's claims.

20. Martacus

Martacus World's Greatest Warrior

I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with the cop on this one, mainly because I'm also older than him and like my neck in its current unbroken condition.