1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Kill their governor if their loyalty is up, forment unrest if the loyalty is already going down.

Also, is anyone else using Amani with the Emissary promotion? I find it mildly helpful.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    SammyKhalifa likes this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Amani was the tip of my spear for loyalty conquering my continent. I didn't even bother using her in a city-state that game.

3. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

You kill the governors in back cities. Stops the mission being interrupted.

And yeah, I had Amani on the frontline, along with Victor (and all the rest).

4. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Prince

I can't say I am impressed with Eleanor. Georgia built down into my territory and I surrounded the Southernmost of those two cities with three of mine. I built 3 cultural centers. I had 12 great works in them and I had the governor that drops foreign influence within range. Her cities came close to dropping, but she put governors in them and they went quickly back to full loyalty. Do I need to wait until rock bands and spies for her to be decent?

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Without going in an pillaging here lands, yes.

6. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

How did you not have spies?

7. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis King

I finished my Engleanor game on Emperor. Interestingly, it was the first time I got top score (Augustus Caesar) in Civ VI. She certainly does snowball and I loved watching my pink blob encompass the continent. Still, my Kristina game was much better for culture per capita.

RNDY works better than Grand Tour IMO. Grand Tour essentially let's you build more slots... But only in your core cities. Half priced harbors made it easy for the gold to roll in, plus the additional loyalty on other continents was nice. RNDY allowed me to grow my cities quicker, get trade routes up and running so I could use Reyna to buy theatre squares in my frontier cities, and then instantly buy amphitheatre/art museums/broadcast centers there.

I didn't found a religion, just absorbed other holy sites. That could've sped things up. I did get Divine Spark (+1 GPP) which helped quite a bit. In the end I was using Hallyu indie rock bands to flip. Most rock bands died after the initial use, so I wasn't able to truly dominate with them.

Ended up with a cultural victory, but my Sweden cultural victory finished nearly 50 turns sooner. There was also a ton of micro: constantly having to move great works, moving Reyna, buying buildings, constant spying, just a lot of little clicks. Yet...

Very fun, and I'll definitely go at it again, but Eleanor is not the best, whether you go France or England. Certainly not weak, too many people disregard the power of the flower crown, but a moderately powerful leader that will give you an exciting game either way.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Josephias likes this.
  8. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Prince

It was fairly early in the game still. With that said I had just built one, but the first one always goes to protect my gold.

9. Arilian

Arilian King

You can focus on reaching a golden age, and you can run bread and circuses for more pressure.
    3 city can give -15 loyalty already just from the basic GW's

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Georgia is a hard target for flipping due to its propensity to maintain a perpetual Golden Age. I wouldn't judge Eleanor too harshly for not performing well in this instance.

Josephias, SammyKhalifa and Sagax like this.
  11. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Prince

Good point.

I tried another game with her, well two since I restarted once I saw Russia was in the game. Funny thing happened though. I won against 5 Ai opponents in a marathon game in the year 60 BC. I became Suzerain of Kandy in the Ancient era and had 4 relics + the religious perc that triples Relic output. That combined with Frealenor's bonus to tourism and they all caved early. The game should have let me have Earth Goddess! :p

12. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Chieftain

Totally off-topic for this thread, but I played Victoria for the first time recently, and the first time I watched the Redcoats execute perfect linear drill and bayonet the last dude in the opposing unit, I was enamored (and slightly disturbed)

13. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

I had a lot of fun in my recent non-war Freleanor-Flip game. However, I forgot to turn off Culture Victory, so won that accidentally after only consuming 2 opponents (Inca and Sweden) and parts of 2 more (Australia and Egypt). I never got a chance for the bonus Achievement because Engleanor spawned on the exact opposite side of Pangaea map from me. I'll have to save that one for when I turn the tables and eventually play as Engleanor vs. an AI Freleanor.

And yes, I found it very useful to use all of the tools in my Loyalty tool shed. Bread & Circus, both Spy missions, buying Theater Districts/Buildings in flipped cities, high Housing and chopping to boost population, Amani's -2 promotion, etc. I enjoyed getting a chance to really dig into the entire Loyalty sub-system.

14. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I love how popular Eleanor is--quite honestly I didn't expect that. But her mechanism is fun and unique, so I guess it makes sense.

Do you guys use combat as Eleanor to help pile on the loyalty pressure? Or do you try to do an entirely peaceful approach? Some games my peaceful approach just whiffs and I win based on culture without taking more than one city via the Court of Love ability.

Also, shameless plug for my post about Eleanor's historicity (as she is represented in Civ VI): https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-game-vs-history.634246/page-4#post-15406501 Basically, long story short, the court of love was not as concrete as it is represented to be in the Civilopedia. I think diplomatic or gold-based bonuses would have been more fitting for her from a historical perspective, but she was cultured (although arguably not that much more than people of similar status in that era).

15. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

i still havent waged the first offensive war as ellie

16. RickSL

RickSL Chieftain

That’s true. When I played Eleanor I tended to focus on the bordering cigs with Dark Ages as part of my strategy.

17. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Chieftain

At this point, I had already handily won a CV (stumbled upon an early relic and picked reliquaries for founding belief), but Chandragupta got a normal age when I got a golden one and these pictures are 30ish turns apart. I placed some artwork and works of writing in Amboise's and Lyon's Theater Squares, converting those Indian cities to Catholicism (including holy city Agra), and the Golden Age did the rest. Ended up getting his capital just southeast of this area, too. No war, no pillaging. Pretty sweet ability in my opinion.

Attached Files:

18. Pepperlet

Pepperlet Chieftain

Apologies if someone already asked this, but does anyone know where the 9 tile rule with the GW’s extends from ie. is it 9 tiles from the location of the theatre square/wonder or from the city centre?

19. Timodelphia

Timodelphia Chieftain

9 Tiles from City Center

20. Pepperlet

Pepperlet Chieftain

Thank you. Likewise, does “Bread and Circuses” extend from the city center or the entertainment complex?