1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Feb 5, 2019.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

I like it!

Well, with as many civ's as the game currrently has, I see the game being perfectly well-served by adding variety to its existing large stable of mainstays. An alt leader for France and Englad is more appealing to me than rolling out Guam or Tobogo.

2. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

So does Georgia in 90% of my games for some reason, yet she has no science bonuses and is widely mocked as trash tier by players.

General bonuses are actually better for the AI, as no matter what it does as it fumbles around, it will still benefit.

footslogger likes this.
  3. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

Because there hasn't been a Civ with a Science focus in GS now. Half the Civs are focused towards Culture but none towards Science, that is imbalanced.

Arent11 likes this.
  4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I don't think it's "really well", but there is synergy there.

Jkchart likes this.
  5. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

This was defiantly designed with the British Museum in mind... God darn it! I think I would of been happy to keep British Museum now if I knew this would of been coming!

EDIT: There is no synergy with England here. Makes me think that she was designed long before they decided to change England's ability.

6. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

Another well animated leader. Love the finger waggle of disapproval at the end.

7. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Well if it helps Phoenicia was clearly tuned around potential science snowballing through quick Cothon spam and its interaction with easy classical/medieval Free Inquiry golden ages. I don't think even Korea can beat Phoenicia's early game science potential, without making a lot of sacrifices in other areas.

Leathaface likes this.
  8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

At least her Broadcast Centers will be extra strong with England's WotW.

Alexadamz likes this.
  9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

correct me if I am wrong here but the works of art do not add loyalty to your cities... they just subtract it from others.
    I imagine this mechanic is not part of population pressure but on top of it.
    I wonder if the minuses from different cities are stacked, you could accidentally convert a CS in your borders.

There is an odd comment at 1:25 -
    "converting cities from around the globe will add even more resources and power to your workshop of the world"
    Does this mean the workshop gain +1 power or similar for each city off continent?

Loss of the redcoat for this is hard to consider

Theater with Amphi/Museum + Hermitage is -9. Golden bread and circuses will be nasty... but not to the Ottomans or Phonecia.

acluewithout likes this.
  10. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Chieftain

I will rename my capital to Poitiers every game I play with her.

Her models are awesome! Way better than the leaks made us think.

Her ability is better for France, overall, but can be played really differently with England. I like that, though I feel underwhelmed we don't get any troubadours UU early rock bands...

I guess I will change my vote for first Civ to play on GS.

Our_DeCay likes this.
  11. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

She definitely synergises more with France than England but I like the idea of using GWs to shore up loyalty on foreign continents as England.

This was the leader/Civ reveal I was most looking forward to and it definitely hasn't disappointed. Would I have liked a Trobador UU/early Rock Band replacement, sure, but I didn't really expect that as alt leaders tend to just get a new LUA without bells and whistles.

DefiantMars and bbbt like this.
  12. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, to me the design process screams:
    (Design team 1)
    Okay, we want a civ to be able to be used with multiple leaders. Who can we pick? Hmm, Eleanor could work. And hey, let's give her a great works bonus for loyalty, that fits perfectly with both England and France!
    (Design team 2)
    Okay, we're doing a rework of resources. Let's give Britain a much more industrial feel, and shift the cultural aspects to Sweden. That works.
    (Design team 1)
    Hey team 2, did you guys touch England's bonuses? We were building Eleanor to work with them.
    (Design team 2)
    Uhh...
    (Design team 1)
    Oh well. Too late now to change it.

13. Onin

Onin Chieftain

I agree. I think science boosted civs are generally too strong and hard to balance. Culture boosted civs on the other hand still seem to work.

NegativeZero and Jewman like this.
  14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I agree that this expansion is a little cultural/diplomatic heavy. Obviously this leader wouldn't be well suited for science. I would have liked to see an American alt leader focusing on science actually. Like JFK. He's probably still too recent though, and his estate may not agree with his likeness.

Jewman and Leathaface like this.
  15. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

No, I think it's more in the sense that you'll control larger quantities of Uranium, Oil and Coal, which you need to power buildings.

Also I don't think Eleanor is necessarily a Culture leader in every situation. I consider her a Domination leader foremost, because reducing loyalty pressure is immensely important for a warmonger. (and you'll be able to get the Great Works from others instead of having to compete with Civs such as Greece, Kongo, Russia or Sweden)

edit: AND she gets ANY disloyal cities within 9 tiles of her own, regardless of which other AI influences that disloyal city. Yikes.

16. brandonnj84

brandonnj84 Chieftain

We may want to hold off before judging what her Capital(s) is. The map they used in the FL was Europe, and they may have wanted Paris and London for clarity and contrast.

Navelgazer and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  17. Grumpbeard

Grumpbeard Chieftain

Too bad they didn't make her British UA include disabling the industrial power of England and re-enabling the British museum.

18. Jewman

Jewman Chieftain

Extremely expensive but if the pay off is huge fully developed cities from your neighbors that you can then snowball into other chunks of their empire, it just might be worth it.

19. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

How would extra strategic resources improve a Broadcast Center?

20. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Chieftain

Most of the cities i flip are those i dont want. Like AI forward cities with only a few tiles.
    But if you could flip 2 cities in a game with this mechanic you do want. This ability might really be worth it.
    Just push the loyalty a bit where it could flip. Bit situational but potentional very strong.
    You wont like having a dark age next to Eleanor.