1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Feb 5, 2019.

1. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Warlord

But culture does nothing for her. Her ability is expansionist, not culture based even if the ability stems from a culture item. You can probably get just as much mileage out her ability with a single GWAM. I mean if you are pressuring with her ability you don't need to "swim" in culture. You get one warehouse up and try and win one store it in your cap, then when you want to pressure you build/buy a TS and related buildings (which is probably easier with England due to bonuses to trade routes), drop in your great works, and flip a city. I think it will be much more rare where you need/are able to do the same with 3 or 4 cities.

So while culture is starting point I don't see her needing to be all that culture focused to still utilize her abilities, it is certainly a route you can take but without any other culture bonuses I don't see how Elanore is any more of a culture civ than any other generalist civ.

leandrombraz likes this.
  2. Onin

Onin Chieftain

I think one of my biggest issues with her ability is that you really have to invest heavily into it for it to bring you a benefit but if it is balanced at all then it may not actually provide you a consistent advantage based on how much you focused on it.

The only potential counter to this is if it makes it very difficult for the AI to settle near you so they don't which gives you more space to settle yourself. More land is always good.

An interesting mechanic for sure that will be ultra satisfying if it works.

3. Synth

Synth Chieftain

I'm not really interested in Eleanor, but I'm really glad she exists. Now that we have a leader that leads two civs, we might, in the future, get Kublai Khan of Mongolia and China.

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

I think you need to be very aggressive in your culture game with Eleanor because you want to get GW in her border cities as quickly as possible. If you can, you have a much better chance of flipping a city. Obviously if you wait too long when the AI is fully entrenched with a lot of high pop core cities, I doubt you will flip the cities. Eleanor's ability is probably very dependent on geography too. You will have a much better chance at flipping that city that is already a bit cut off from the core cities (maybe thanks to a war where another AI captured a well positioned city-state?) than you will flipping a border city that is adjacent to the capital and other core cities.

Onin and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  5. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Warlord

I am hoping that the French version sprinkles in the occasional English word and vice versa for the English version.

CivLuvah likes this.
  6. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

Combining gold from harbors & additional iron, England might be able to maintain & upgrade the largest army. Of course Scythia can build much faster than them, but you also have to maintain all these units.

I don't think it is useful for large scale flipping. However, it might be useful for repeated flipping & plundering or liberating.

7. Onin

Onin Chieftain

Agreed. I would also imagine that she would be a good vulture if another civ is conquering a neighbor she would be in a position to make it very hard on them to keep their newly conquered cities and they would potentially flip back to Eleanor.

8. Hawke9

Hawke9 Chieftain

Any news on the leader agenda?

NegativeZero likes this.
  9. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Yes. I also thought of the strategy where Eleanor could wage war against a civ by focusing on splitting it into 2 and then building museums in those conquered cities to syphon off a couple more cities. And, the fact that cities will flip directly to her without becoming free cities first will be very strong.

10. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

As someone who lives flipping cities I love this ability and can't wait to play her!

I'm still hoping base France gets a buff. We'll see.

And also yes, Kublai Khan leading of Mongolia and China when?!!?

Synth, Josephias, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Not yet. I have a Twitter notification set for Ed. So when he tweets it, I will post it.

Hawke9 likes this.
  12. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Anticlimactic. Predictably so, but still.

I'm guessing that the idea was to add another female leader to the stable, but ironically both of the leaders she replaces are already female.

13. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Oh man, I have a new civ GF. Bye Cleo.

Leathaface and CivLuvah like this.
  14. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

The more I think about this ability, the more it seems completely negligible at just -1.

I'm not sure why Firaxis is so meager with the loyalty bonuses when they are quite happy to give massive military bonuses etc to civs.

Do they not realize loyalty does very little in most games? Or is it that loyalty abilities can be OP in AI vs AI?

Ondolindë likes this.
  15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Yeah this seems almost useless to me. The only bonus she gets is the insta flip, civ4 style. I think you are going to have to run bread and circuses to make this work offensively. Otherwise you'll be lucky if it happens once a game.

16. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Cleo is the hot girl in college you have sex with, Eleanor is the cute girl you bring home to the parents and marry.

King William I likes this.
  17. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Hopefully, Firaxis buffs this a bit. But the problem with loyalty flipping is you need to be very careful not to make it too strong because flipping cities with loyalty is already inherently very powerful because you are getting a city without needing to conquer it with military units.

CivLuvah likes this.
  18. conorbebe

conorbebe Chieftain

Eleanor’s design seems pretty cool and I’m all for leaders being of multiple civilisations, but I can’t be that enthusiastic knowing this is essentially Firaxis’ way of giving both England and France new leaders with minimum effort. It’s now all but guaranteed we won’t be seeing Napoleon, Charles de Gaulle, Churchill, Elizabeth, or any other iconic leader from these nations. That hurts as I think Civ VI’s art style would have really shined with these characters.

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Then she divorced you, takes half your stuff, and marries a guy you hated back in college.

20. Casworon

Casworon Chieftain

I don't know why people are saying this is weak. Loyalty flipping is already a very powerful ability i feel. Very difficult to play against properly.

I think this is an incredibly powerful ability which also requires to play actively for it to work, so great design!

BarbarianHunter and Phoenix1595 like this.