1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine - France, or England? Or both...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nzcamel, Dec 18, 2018.

?

Which Civ will Eleanor lead?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2019.
  1. England

4.3%
  2. France

10.1%
  3. Both

85.5%
  1. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

What Civ do people think Eleanor will lead? And what will her ULA be in relation to that? It seems a safe discussion to have as the leak has held up thus far.

I'm really hoping she will be able to lead both Civilizations as that would be a very novel addition.
    As to her ULA, I'm wondering if something relating to this may be incorporated:

'While in the eastern Mediterranean, Eleanor learned about maritime conventions developing there, which were the beginnings of what would become admiralty law. She introduced those conventions in her own lands on the island of Oleron in 1160 (with the "Rolls of Oléron") and later in England as well. She was also instrumental in developing trade agreements with Constantinople and ports of trade in the Holy Lands.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Aquitaine#Crusade

Haig likes this.
  2. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

If anyone can be both it would be her, and I am really interested to see what her bonuses are and if they synergize well with each Civ

Jkchart and blackcatatonic like this.
  3. nzcamel

The snippet I included from Wikipedia would fit better with Civ 6 England than Civ 6 France; yet it was something Eleanor implemented in both realms. Maybe her sea trade routes could reap extra visibility to work in with France's theme of espionage.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  4. Naktis

Naktis Chieftain

I hope NONE and that from all leaks , her's was incorrect.

5. rattatatouille

rattatatouille Chieftain

As a modder I'm saying both, because multi-civ leaders open up a ton of possibilities. :p

6. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Chieftain

Victoria LUA is linked to having a large empire, synergizing well with UI and UU, but not really synergetic with the English CUA in the sense that it could be profitable for every empire.
    CdM LUA is about espionage, and nothing strictly speaking about culture, so CdA UA is not synergetic with the French CUA (except for stealing great works). But, once again, it's not really synergetic.

Both England and France have CUA that can be adapted with pretty any other leader. So it's really easy to think about a leader that can have synergy with both or, at least, working with both.

Lore aside, imagine if Qin Shi Huangdi was, for example, leader for England and France: its LUA will synergize with England CUA (boost to production already matched with the good productivity of chinese builders) and France CUA (boost to wonders and cultures).

Eleanor could be both France and England and have an ability compelling and synergizing with both. I could not think of one right now because I see Eleanor more of a culture leader (so synergizing with France) rather than England or a production leader, but I'm not in a Firaxis think-tank.

7. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Both. The prospect of a leader for two Civs is really interesting. Also, as much as I think she's great, she would be a terrible choice for just one of France or England when both have much better choices available.

Karmah, Jkchart, AmazonQueen and 3 others like this.
  8. nzcamel

I sympathise, yet that horse has bolted methinks.

9. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Charlemagne inc!

10. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

If we have to have her the only interesting thing about her, in my opinion is she will be able to lead two Civs.
    It will take me a while to get used to the possibility that we might have a French speaking England leader, though could she be bilingual?

11. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

My question: if she does lead both, what would her capital be? Paris and London just don’t seem to fit, since she spent so little time in either, but it would also be odd if she reigned from Aquitaine, since technically Aquitaine did not have suzereignty over “England” or “France” (her husbands were the true sovereigns and neither were from Aquitaine). I’m truly intrigued by how they will handle this.

12. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Doesn't the leaked background suggest poitiers?

nzcamel and CPWimmer like this.
  13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

During that time English monarchs were from French aristocratic houses, spoke French, and had holdings on both sides of the channel. In fact, the so-called Angevin Empire, which Eleanor and Henry united, was the largest territorial expanse of England until the colonial era.

Poiters for France and Chinon for England would be my guess. The Plantagenet monarchs barely spent any time in England itself and Henry and Eleanor were based out of Chinon, France.

bbbt, nzcamel, blackcatatonic and 2 others like this.
  14. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

I think she will lead both, leaders leading multiple civs may be a way to add more alternative leaders to a limited number of slots.

Kublai Khan can lead both China and Mongolia in a third expansion :shifty:

Cooleatack, Harlequeen, bbbt and 5 others like this.
  15. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

I'm still partial for her to be an alternate for France instead of both, for reasons that I have outlined somewhere in this forum but can't seem to find nor recall right now.

shaglio likes this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Right but I was wondering if she spoke any English as well?

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Probably not. It wasn't until after her youngest son John Lackland (of Robin Hood and Magna Carta infamy) disastrously lost most of the holdings in France that the monarchy finally began to culturally assimilate with their English subjects.

Before that it was a point of pride that the aristocracy didn't speak the peasant tongue.

18. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

My prediction is that players will now choose their civ first and then choose their leader separately.

In the normal game mode, every civ will have a list of approved leaders you can choose with them, and Eleanor will be on the list for both France and England.

However, just for fun, we will also see the return of Elective Leaders Mode from Civ 4, which will allow players to pair any civ with any leader for all kinds of wacky combinations.

Elhoim likes this.
  19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

So who wants to put Eleanor in the game twice for AI players, one as French, and one as English? And see which one comes out ahead.

nzcamel likes this.
  20. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

Count me as another hoping for both more for modding/future leader implications than anything else.

I did a breakdown on leader requests from reddit way before vanilla launched and I remember Charlemagne being nominated as a leader of both France and Germany, and Qubilai Khan would actually make perfect sense as a Chinese / Mongol leader. There are many other examples from history too.

nzcamel and Jkchart like this.