[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine - France, or England? Or both...

Which Civ will Eleanor lead?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I assume Eleanor would be speaking Medieval French, then? Unless they make her speak both Medieval French and Middle English?
Medieval Occitan is also not out of the question. Or if they wanted to go completely off the wall and ahistorical, Medieval Basque. :p

Why do we even have that Emoji? It seems unnecessarily provocative. Especially since it seems you're agreeing with me.

It's too lighten the mood when one does say something provocative, it's my tongue is in my cheek and I'm letting you know that! Banter my dear pgm123, banter :high5:

Not directly related to Eleanor, but I was hoping for more non-White female leaders. It looks like this expansion will have none (unless you count Dido). :(
Will Amanitore be the token black African leader in Civ6? And I'm still waiting for a Mayan queen....

And knowing them, they will make Dido white. Just as they whitefy many non-European leaders. (Pedro II, Tomyris, etc.)

And knowing them, they will make Dido white. Just as they whitefy many non-European leaders. (Pedro II, Tomyris, etc.)

???

You mean this Pedro?

Spoiler :

Yeah, since when have the decedents of the Portuguese & Spanish not been "white"!? lol
Who knows what the Scythians looked like (someone here does no doubt); but Europeans are significantly descended from the horse tribes who moved West off the Asian Steppes.

Medieval Occitan is also not out of the question. Or if they wanted to go completely off the wall and ahistorical, Medieval Basque. :p
They made Rameses an Arabic speaker in Civ V so I guess anything's possible...

I'm surprised Poiters isn't on the French list though. It was an important regional city for hundreds of years.

The city lists are, quizzically, tied to the leader's time period, rather than the overall civ. Most cities on the French list were big during the renaissance (or had an important château such as Amboise), hence the omissions of the Medieval settlements of Orléans and Poitiers.

The city list for Eleanor will therefore be a disaster no matter how you slice it, unless she gets her own list for France and England, which *should* happen, but which I doubt shall happen.

I hope you are joking. Pedro certainly and Dido most likely were very European looking. Dido was Phoenician so I dont know why she should look different from what she looked like in Civ V.

Actually some leaders look less European than what they actually were. Tamar and Pedro being good examples. Tamar seems to have had much lighter skin than what she has in Civ VI, Pedro II on the other hand had light brown hair. On the other hand Pedro II in Civ VI doesnt look anything like real Pedro II anyway.

Amanitore isn't Ethiopian. :rolleyes:
According to the Greeks she was as Aethiopia was what they called the region of Nubia. :p
I'd vote for Idia of Benin, but not sure we're going to get another, and if we do get another Africa Civ it would hopefully be actual Ethiopia.

I hope you are joking. Pedro certainly and Dido most likely were very European looking. Dido was Phoenician so I dont know why she should look different from what she looked like in Civ V.

Actually some leaders look less European than what they actually were. Tamar and Pedro being good examples. Tamar seems to have had much lighter skin than what she has in Civ VI, Pedro II on the other hand had light brown hair. On the other hand Pedro II in Civ VI doesnt look anything like real Pedro II anyway.

Tamar looks more Armenian than Georgian. I kind of get what they were going for, but I don't think they hit the right note. Dido should look Lebanese, so maybe similar in skin tone to how they depict Tamar.

According to the Greeks she was as Aethiopia was what they called the region of Nubia. :p
I'd vote for Idia of Benin, but not sure we're going to get another, and if we do get another Africa Civ it would hopefully be actual Ethiopia.

I knew that already. :p

Pedro II was blonde. :p We don't know what Tomyris looked like (if she even existed), but as depicted in game she looks Eastern Iranian. On the whole in Civ6 they've had a habit of darkening leaders (Harald, Pedro, Philip, Cleopatra, Tamar), not lightening them...Also people from the Levant tend to be quite fair; Dido's clothes in Civ5 were strange but otherwise her appearance was fine.

Who knows what the Scythians looked like (someone here does no doubt)
The Ossetians are probably their descendents, so that's a good place to start. If you look at the Iranian peoples of Central Asia and the Caucasus, that's probably more or less what the Scythians looked like. And that's more or less what Tomyris looks like in-game.

Pedro II was blonde. :p We don't know what Tomyris looked like (if she even existed), but as depicted in game she looks Eastern Iranian. On the whole in Civ6 they've had a habit of darkening leaders (Harald, Pedro, Philip, Cleopatra, Tamar), not lightening them...Also people from the Levant tend to be quite fair; Dido's clothes in Civ5 were strange but otherwise her appearance was fine.

The Ossetians are probably their descendents, so that's a good place to start. If you look at the Iranian peoples of Central Asia and the Caucasus, that's probably more or less what the Scythians looked like. And that's more or less what Tomyris looks like in-game.

A good guide for determining what the Scythians possibly looked like, is to look at the Magyars (Hungarians) and Finno-Urgic Peoples (Finns, Estonians, Livonians), as both of those groups originated in the Ural Mountains and moved Westward over time. Therefore, the Scythians could possibly have been similar in appearance to the Uralic peoples, as they would have lived in the general area. The various Turkic tribes could be another reference point as well, since they also originated in Western Asia.

Ancestry can be very confusing and complex. My direct ancestry line goes back to the mid 1400's in Normandy / Perche (based on surviving historical records), yet my paternal Haplogroup (R-L2) is more commonly found in the Alps / Northern Italy than in Normandy. I have also found that not everyone inherits the same Haplogroup, even if they are all direct descendants of the same person.

A good guide for determining what the Scythians possibly looked like, is to look at the Magyars (Hungarians) and Finno-Urgic Peoples (Finns, Estonians, Livonians), as both of those groups originated in the Ural Mountains and moved Westward over time. Therefore, the Scythians could possibly have been similar in appearance to the Uralic peoples, as they would have lived in the general area. The various Turkic tribes could be another reference point as well, since they also originated in Western Asia.
Why would Uralic peoples be a good estimate for what a group of Iranians looked like? :undecide: It's true that people of the Eurasian Steppe tended to form multiethnic confederations, but various groups of Eastern Iranians (including the Scythians) were the dominant peoples of the Western Steppe and Central Asia until the Turks moved in from the north later on (and some of them are still there, like the Tajiks, Pashtuns, Baloch, etc.).

yet my paternal Haplogroup (R-L2) is more commonly found in the Alps / Northern Italy than in Normandy. I have also found that not everyone inherits the same Haplogroup, even if they are all direct descendants of the same person.

Yes as the paternal hablogroup is determined by the Y chromosome which is directly passed to male children. A man who passes his Y chromosome to his son won't pass it to his daughter and the daughter's children thereafter will take the Y chromosomes of another man.

This means that we can never truly know who our ancestors are without some level of statistic-based deductions which are unfortunately pretty skewed.

I wanted to take a DNA test but most companies only have a few dozen samples from the Middle East which makes any results from them virtually worthless :crazyeye:

Although my brother took the paternal dna test and we're from the J-2 hablogroup which should be consistent with the Levantine peoples throughout history.

Sorry I'm rambling :lol:

Yes as the paternal hablogroup is determined by the Y chromosome which is directly passed to male children. A man who passes his Y chromosome to his son won't pass it to his daughter and the daughter's children thereafter will take the Y chromosomes of another man.

This means that we can never truly know who our ancestors are without some level of statistic-based deductions which are unfortunately pretty skewed.

I wanted to take a DNA test but most companies only have a few dozen samples from the Middle East which makes any results from them virtually worthless :crazyeye:

Although my brother took the paternal dna test and we're from the J-2 hablogroup which should be consistent with the Levantine peoples throughout history.

Sorry I'm rambling :lol:

I took the test mostly to see if there might be any surprise findings, but there were not. Given that Normandy was colonized by the Vikings, I was expecting to get a Haplogroup more in line with the Scandinavians, but I guess I ended up with R-L2, which likely originates in the Alps / Northern Italy. I don't know how folks with R-L2 ended up in Normandy, but I guess that's what happened.

One thing I did find though, is that's is possible for folks to inherit different Haplogroups, even if they are direct male line descendants of the same ancestor. I found that R-L2 is actually a sub group of R-U152, so in some cases, folks who should have the same haplogroup as me, instead have R-U152, while I got the R-L2 sub group, likely as a result of genetic mutation or some other anomaly.

My Y-chromosome haplogroup is Scandinavian, but my paternal line came from England. So I assume that my ancestors were either Viking colonists or Norman occupiers. Given that we seem to have lived in Lincolnshire prior to making our way to the Massachusetts Bay Colony, I'm favoring the former over the latter.

My Y-chromosome haplogroup is Scandinavian, but my paternal line came from England. So I assume that my ancestors were either Viking colonists or Norman occupiers. Given that we seem to have lived in Lincolnshire prior to making our way to the Massachusetts Bay Colony, I'm favoring the former over the latter.

Its not uncommon to have some DNA that makes no sense. My DNA results claim I am 3.4% British & Irish, yet I don't know of any ancestors from the British Isles or Ireland. The test further claimed it was recent ancestry in the last 200 years, despite the fact my ancestors left France for Canada nearly 400 years ago (370 or so to be exact). One possibility, is that I have related DNA, and the test makes the assumption it is because I am British / Irish, when I am not.

The likely explanation, is that France was populated by the Gauls, who were absorbed by the Franks, resulting in some residual Celtic DNA in France, hence the test thinking I am part Irish. Next, the British Isles were invaded by the same Vikings who colonized Normandy, so there would be some shared DNA there. You could also throw in the Bretons who migrated from England to France. Finally, I have some ancestors from the Lower Saxony region of Germany, and many Saxons migrated to England in ancient times, so some possible DNA similarities there. Thus you end up with me having some ancestry groups in common with the British Isles, despite not having any ancestors from the British Isles, causing the test to give me a false identification.

Top Bottom