[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine - France, or England? Or both...

Which Civ will Eleanor lead?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pedro II was blonde. :p We don't know what Tomyris looked like (if she even existed), but as depicted in game she looks Eastern Iranian. On the whole in Civ6 they've had a habit of darkening leaders (Harald, Pedro, Philip, Cleopatra, Tamar), not lightening them...Also people from the Levant tend to be quite fair; Dido's clothes in Civ5 were strange but otherwise her appearance was fine.

The Ossetians are probably their descendents, so that's a good place to start. If you look at the Iranian peoples of Central Asia and the Caucasus, that's probably more or less what the Scythians looked like. And that's more or less what Tomyris looks like in-game.

To add to this on Tomyris, the Massagetae were from modern-day Turkmenistan. The Ossetians are the closest linguistically to the Scythians because they speak an Eastern Iranian language (like Avesta), but there's no reason to assume they're closer genetically than Eastern Iranians. There's a lot of genetic mixture and Ossetians are no exception. So Tomyris is probably fine.

Lebanon (an ancient name) has people who range from pretty fair or fairly dark. Civ V Dido is fine, but so would someone who looks more like how Tamar is depicted. Tamar is very dark for a Georgian. There are some depictions where she looks like that, but they're the minority. Cleopatra looks Greek. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say Pedro II was blond (not blonde), but they should have looked at more than one picture.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say Pedro II was blond (not blonde), but they should have looked at more than one picture.

That's something else about the Brazilian civ design that makes me wonder if the dev team had a hate on for it for some reason? Most of the leaders are rendered in a fairly attractive manner. The inspiration photo for Pedro suggests he was a reasonably good looking man. It's disappointing that Civ 6's Pedro exaggerates his less pleasant features.

The Ossetians are the closest linguistically to the Scythians because they speak an Eastern Iranian language (like Avesta)
To expand on this, Ossetian is not the only modern Eastern Iranian language (Pashto, I believe, is the largest), but there is good reason to believe that Ossetian is directly descended from Scythian. (And rather off topic, but Avestan is easily my favorite ancient Indo-European language.)

Cleopatra looks Greek.
I agree. In fact, I think she bears a passing resemblance to Marina Sirtis. But she's definitely much darker than most typical portrayals of Cleopatra--I think the devs wanted her to be able to pass as Egyptian for those who don't know better.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say Pedro II was blond (not blonde)
He was blond when he was younger.

That's something else about the Brazilian civ design that makes me wonder if the dev team had a hate on for it for some reason? Most of the leaders are rendered in a fairly attractive manner. The inspiration photo for Pedro suggests he was a reasonably good looking man. It's disappointing that Civ 6's Pedro exaggerates his less pleasant features.
Dom Satan has no pleasant features because he's Satan. :mischief:

Lebanon (an ancient name) has people who range from pretty fair or fairly dark. Civ V Dido is fine

Civ5 Dido looks like my cousin :lol:

I hope they darken Elissa in Civ6 a bit though.

Last edited:
Civ5 Dido looks like my cousin :lol:

I hope they darken Elissa in Civ6 a bit though.
I kinda hope she looks like Ofra Haza, because Ofra Haza was gorgeous. :love:

So was I, but my hair is now like Cyrus (without the great beard). But I agree that the model just looks off. They lightened the hair a bit, but it needs more work.
I was born blond and blue-eyed. By the time I was two my eyes were black and my hair was light brown. My eyes then proceeded to grow lighter and my hair darker so that as an adult my hair is very dark brown and my eyes are very light brown. :crazyeye:

I'm East Asian, so I can't relate to your hair and eye color changes.....:p

I was born blond and blue-eyed. By the time I was two my eyes were black and my hair was light brown. My eyes then proceeded to grow lighter and my hair darker so that as an adult my hair is very dark brown and my eyes are very light brown. :crazyeye:

Hair always darkens as you age until you go gray. Most of the time it is subtle, but sometimes you get wild results at puberty. My brother went from platinum blond straight hair to curly brown hair in a few months at age 12.

I was only blond as a toddler. It's quite dark now.

Hair always darkens as you age until you go gray. Most of the time it is subtle, but sometimes you get wild results at puberty. My brother went from platinum blond straight hair to curly brown hair in a few months at age 12.
Yep. If you look at pictures of me when I was little, the change from blue eyes to black (jet black) around two years of age is the most abrupt. From there the darkening of my hair and lightening of my eyes are more gradual, albeit both pick up pace a bit at puberty and both have continued into my 20s (almost 30 now)...

Yep. If you look at pictures of me when I was little, the change from blue eyes to black (jet black) around two years of age is the most abrupt. From there the darkening of my hair and lightening of my eyes are more gradual, albeit both pick up pace a bit at puberty and both have continued into my 20s (almost 30 now)...

I've passed the apex of the darkening and moved well down the other side of that change curve. My hair now is even lighter than when I was two. :lol:

I've passed the apex of the darkening and moved well down the other side of that change curve. My hair now is even lighter than when I was two. :lol:
I'm still a year short of thirty, so I'm trying not to think about that yet. :p

I kinda like that. Brazil was really only included in VI vanilla -as far as I was concerned- due to the Olympics in 2016. Then they have gone on to add unspectacular modern nation after unspectacular modern nation, so I guess there's a good chance the Brazilian's would have been added eventually even without that. Meh. A pox on all their houses :mischief:

Top Bottom