1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine - France, or England? Or both...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nzcamel, Dec 18, 2018.

?

Which Civ will Eleanor lead?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2019.
  1. England

4.3%
  2. France

10.1%
  3. Both

85.5%
  1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

A rock crystal vase? There's one in the Louvre that belonged to her and she gifted it to an abbey or something. It's the only object with provenance to Eleanor.

nzcamel likes this.
  2. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

And her LUA? The speculation on that has been...muted.
    I wonder if it will differ at all depending on which Civ you have her leading.

3. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Chieftain

I think William the Conqueror would like to debate that.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Zaarin likes this.
  4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

The latest copy of the Code of Chivalry and an ode composed by one of her trobadors. :p

5. nzcamel

Well he never lead France; though as a few have pointed out, for a long time the crown of France wasn't that much more powerful than other Frankish areas of what is now France.

blackcatatonic and Zaarin like this.
  6. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Chieftain

By literally that exact same standard, Eleanor didn’t lead France either. Or England. William has a better claim by any standards set, even if we argue that he doesn’t meet the standards.

7. slyone14

slyone14 Chieftain

Anyone think they will reveal her this week?

8. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

I think she will be the leader of Babylon.

conorbebe and Karmah like this.
  9. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Chieftain

No, Portugal. Or maybe the Mayas.

Pietato likes this.
  10. Caesar Augustus 27 BC

Caesar Augustus 27 BC Chieftain

Likely England and France. The leak has been correct so far, unless the next announcement deviates from the leak it's safe to say it's correct.

11. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

That's all good and well, gents, but Macedon wasn't spun off because of some attachment to historical accuracy. Sparta and Athens had their differences, to be sure, but they work under one mechanical roof. Ed or someone else said in one of the livestreams that it was spun off because Firaxis essentially rejected their own system of design for attaching leaders to a civ by saying that Greece was deemed to not be "total-warry" enough for Alexander. Which is odd, since Greece's UA is about as open-ended as they come, and there's already precedence for tacking on uniques to a leader (e.g. Teddy and Bluetooth both merit an extra UU).

Zaarin likes this.
  12. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Yes but if you have William, you might as well go for Henry II, Edward III or Henry V instead.

What makes Eleanor unique is her being Queen of both countries on separate occasions, as part of separate administrations. The others were ruler of one and then decided they wanted to rule the other as well.

Zaarin likes this.
  13. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

To be fair, France contested their claim. Violently. :p

It's a little more nuanced than that. They had legitimate claims to the French throne as heirs-presumptive--they just wanted to press their claims a little closer than they were legally qualified to do. So the Hundred Years' War was in effect a very prolonged and bloody war of succession rather than a proper invasion. The English probably shouldn't have pressed their luck, though, since they ended up losing virtually all of their Continental holdings except Calais...They still called themselves "kings of France" until George III dropped that formality, though...Maybe the "king of Prussia" persuaded him. :mischief:

nzcamel likes this.
  14. blackcatatonic

I did my doctorate on the Hundred Years' War :lol: I was just trying to come up with a punchy one-line summary.

(To be specific, my doctorate was on a manuscript commissioned by a certain John Talbot that he presented to Margaret of Anjou when she married Henry VI, at a time when he was losing and probably wanted to call the whole thing quits. It was stuffed full of French literature and opens with a genealogical table demonstrating Henry VI's rightful claim to the throne of France. It's pretty cool!)

But yes, my point was merely that William wasn't King of France and then King of England. What makes Eleanor special is she was Queen of one and then of the other. She wasn't a ruler, true, and I've argued elsewhere that I don't think she's a terrific choice but if you are looking for someone who could be a leader for two countries at different points in their life, she fits the bill in a way William, or any of the English Kings of France do not.

Eagle Pursuit, Zaarin and nzcamel like this.
  15. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Awesome! I'll leave the rest of the explaining to you then. :p

Yeah, she's a bit of an odd choice, even considering how...unique some of Firaxis' choices have been this iteration.

blackcatatonic and nzcamel like this.
  16. blackcatatonic

Sorry Zaarin :lol: I don't pretend to know much about most of the stuff that gets discussed here. Late medieval Anglo-French history is pretty much my one niche :p

Eleanor would be a weird choice as an alt leader for France or for England but as a leader for both I can definitely see why they chose her. If that part of the leak is wrong, and she is only the leader of one or the other, frankly she doesn't make much sense. Especially when both Civs in question already have a female leader (and, in the case of France, a controversial one at that). But hey, at least they didn't pick Joan of Arc again...

Ferocitus, Zaarin and nzcamel like this.
  17. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

They could always have gone with Empress Matilda for England/Germany. Still a somewhat odd choice, but having one leader for two civs is inherently a little odd. (Not historically, but with Civilization's concept of civilizations and leaders, I mean.) And she could have brought some faith/culture bonuses to Germany to make it a little more well-rounded as a civ...

blackcatatonic likes this.
  18. blackcatatonic

Yes, and Matilda is such an underappreciated figure in English history! I'm not familiar with her role as Empress but if Eleanor qualifies it's hard to argue that Matilda doesn't.

Harlequeen and Zaarin like this.
  19. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I'm not too familiar with her German history, either, but she did act as regent for a while on her husband's behalf, I believe.

20. nzcamel

Which one? Lol - so many Matilda's! :mischief: Like all the Robert "the Bruces" back to William the conqueror...