Electric vehicles

Do electric cars need to have 10 hours of charging just for 1 hour of driving?
No. Mains chargers are slow, they can take that long to do a full charge but you will get a lot more than an hours driving (unless you are doing laps in a sports car or something).

Do electric cars need to have 10 hours of charging just for 1 hour of driving?
Only if you're using a 110v wall outlet (the kind you plug your laptop or computer into). That's why they have dedicated charging ports.

Cursory search reveals for Chevy Bolt for full charge times. Full charge gets over 200 miles
Charger levelTime to charge
Level 1 (120 volts)4 miles of range per hour
Level 2 (220/240 volts)9 ½ hours
DC Fast charging1 hour 20 minutes
https://www.energysage.com/electric-vehicles/charging-your-ev/charging-chevy-bolt/
How can it take 50 hours to do 200 miles at 120 V but only 9.5 at 220/240? It is only half the power at the same amps, and one would presume the same cables could take more amps?

Only 200 miles at most?
2023 Chevy Bolt does 259 miles,
Longest ranges are
1. Lucid Air: 516 miles
2. Tesla Model S: 405 miles
3. Hyundai Ioniq 6: 361 miles
4. Tesla Model 3: 358 miles
5. Tesla Model X: 348 miles
6. Mercedes-EQ EQS450 Sedan: 340 miles
7. Tesla Model Y: 330 miles
8. Rivian R1T: 328 miles
9. BMW iX: 324 miles
10. Rivian R1S: 321 miles
11. Ford F-150 Lightning: 320 miles
12. BMW i7: 318 miles
13. Cadillac Lyriq: 312 miles
14. Ford Mustang Mach-E: 312 miles
15. Kia EV6: 310 miles
16. Mercedes-EQ EQS450 SUV: 305 miles
17. Nissan Ariya: 304 miles
18. BMW i4 Gran Coupe: 301 miles
https://www.cars.com/articles/electric-vehicles-with-the-longest-range-422227/

as the technology continues to mature, the ranges will only increase. Especially since carmakers care in competition to make the longest range possible.

All those ranges are still too low to make any of them usable as an ordinary car.
That's why hybrids are still the best of both worlds. Basically a gas generator charging batteries that power electric motors.

All those ranges are still too low to make any of them usable as an ordinary car.
How frequently do you do more than 500 miles in a day? I have done, but rarely enough I could hire a car if I needed to do it again.

Though I do support the swappable battery solution, if not the cars.

How frequently do you do more than 500 miles in a day? I have done, but rarely enough I could hire a car if I needed to do it again.

Though I do support the swappable battery solution, if not the cars.
I don't drive, but from someone who does drive all the time then that's still not enough because of the charging times needed just to reach that (along with the rarity of charging points) when in an ordinary car it just takes minutes if that to reach full. They also say that electric cars are just a dead technology anyway and should be given up and are far more harmful than ordinary cars.

Nonsense. It depends upon one's driving habits. If you drive 300 miles a day you could have issues, but most people don't. If you drive 100 miles a week, EVs are perfect. In the western US folks tend to drive a lot because the distances between places is high. In England not so much. It is 100 crow miles from Bath to London. That is well within range of a round trip in a day.

Nonsense. It depends upon one's driving habits. If you drive 300 miles a day you could have issues, but most people don't. If you drive 100 miles a week, EVs are perfect. In the western US folks tend to drive a lot because the distances between places is high. In England not so much. It is 100 crow miles from Bath to London. That is well within range of a round trip in a day.
There is only one single charging point in all of London and none in Bath.

I don't drive, but from someone who does drive all the time then that's still not enough because of the charging times needed just to reach that (along with the rarity of charging points) when in an ordinary car it just takes minutes if that to reach full. They also say that electric cars are just a dead technology anyway and should be given up and are far more harmful than ordinary cars.
We'll have to see if EVs are an interim step to Hydrogen, but for now they are a solution very suitable for most people. If you think gasoline powered cars are the future, I have a Betamax to sell you! ;)

Every automotive dealership that sells EVs has charging stations. And I do not believe that London has only one.

All of those ranges are comparable to gasoline engines. Older trucks owned by people in my family have had ranges of well under 200 mi per tank, and no-one complained about that. The range on my car (hybrid camry) is about 500 miles per tank of gas. I fill up once or twice a month, except on trips that happen about twice a year.

So long as the charging time is less than the time between arriving home and leaving the the morning (or arriving at work and leaving later), what difference does charging time make?

There are so many charging stations in London that you can't see anything else:

I have to admit that if I was still driving for 8 hours a day it would still be quite a brave decision to get an electric. These modern small diesel cars are so spectacularly fuel efficient and cheap that any other option would be a hard sell.
You can see just how wrong these people are for london and bath.

Top Bottom