Elemental - War of Magic

The game's been on my radar for ages now it seems. When I compare Elemental's video's and YouTube videos of MoM, they seem related but in the way second cousins are. That's ok with me, I was probably 10 or 11 when MoM came out (at least that's how old I was when I first played it) and I hardly remember it. So little expectations to be disappointed.

Anyways, when Elemental comes out, I'll bite...

p.s. I like the Tolkien style maps. Stardock's not a big budget kind of company though, but it does HAVE a budget, so that's something too.

The game's been on my radar for ages now it seems. When I compare Elemental's video's and YouTube videos of MoM, they seem related but in the way second cousins are. That's ok with me, I was probably 10 or 11 when MoM came out (at least that's how old I was when I first played it) and I hardly remember it. So little expectations to be disappointed.

Anyways, when Elemental comes out, I'll bite...

p.s. I like the Tolkien style maps. Stardock's not a big budget kind of company though, but it does HAVE a budget, so that's something too.
Small-budget or indie tends to push out better games than big-budget, big-publisher developers. I think the smaller budgets means that they can take bigger risks and have to be more creative to push out successfull games.

Compared to bigger, more mainstream developers, who 'stick to the plan', have huge budgets, throw in a whole bunch of lens flare, and is almost guarenteed to make a profit.

Stardock did a very good job with GalCiv so I expect them to do the same with Elemental. A $49.99 price tag is a little expensive for me but I might change my mind as I learn more. Of course, FfH and the modmods are hard to beat not only because of the price but, more importantly, because of the awesome gaming experience.

Mental note to self: Make another donation to UNICEF. ;)

Small-budget or indie tends to push out better games than big-budget, big-publisher developers. I think the smaller budgets means that they can take bigger risks and have to be more creative to push out successfull games.

Compared to bigger, more mainstream developers, who 'stick to the plan', have huge budgets, throw in a whole bunch of lens flare, and is almost guarenteed to make a profit.

:confused:

I wasn't arguing against Stardock, indie developers, big or small budgets, but only noting that it (Stardock) wasn't a big budget-type company as had been described by someone else's previous post. That's all: it's not a company dependent on blockbusters. I'm well aware of Stardock's and Brad Wardell's games, have been for years now.

First or second quarter next year. :)

The first beta stage, and this is a real beta not the advertising nonsense they're doing in most publishing houses these days, should start in June of this year. Stardock betas are open to pre-orders and have a substantial effect on the end result. They'll be taking player input at every level, beta 0 in June isn't even going to go past the cloth map scale just to get input on the baseline mechanics without all the frills added in.

erm. Had to point this out, but by limiting the beta to pre-orders, it IS a marketing/advertising scheme.

On the other hand I really enjoyed Sins of a solar empire, and am looking forward to this.

On the other hand I really enjoyed Sins of a solar empire, and am looking forward to this.

As have I. Stardock has put out some solid stuff in the past and I can't wait to see what they've got next.

Master of Magic was awesome ...
I read that Stardock considered doing a remake but instead decided to do something of their own.

I hope they don't produce something too far away from the original ... like their Galactic Civilizations, which bored me to death despite my reveration of the inspiring Master of Orion 2 (don't ask about MoO3).

I think they even mentioned somewhere FFH2 as one of the references. Not directly IIRC but something along the lines "and certain mods have proven how interesting this approach can blahblahblah". So, there you have it.

http://www.draginol.com/images2009/ElementalCivilization4_E9BC/CivToEle_HugeMapComparison.png

Just imagine the size of the maps on a 64-bit machine.

I look forward to their tools for modding. I really want to make a game based around more of the asian lore. India is absolutely saturated with it and would make a fresh change from the western-oriented ones.

As far as I know, Elemental is going to be modular aswell; so barring direct conflicts, you will be able to stack mods without issues. :D

Master of Magic was awesome ...
I read that Stardock considered doing a remake but instead decided to do something of their own.

I hope they don't produce something too far away from the original ... like their Galactic Civilizations, which bored me to death despite my reveration of the inspiring Master of Orion 2 (don't ask about MoO3).

My understanding was that they (Stardock) basically formed to redo Master of Magic, but apparently they couldn't get the legal rights worked out. Its shame, if MoM could have the bugs taken out it would really be improved, let alone the new computer technology, graphics, etc. available. So they decided to make Elemental instead.

Obviously, FfH has elements that remind us of MoM, as well as D & D. Remember, way back in time Master of Magic was promoted as a 'fantasy version of Civ' even though it is tremendously more complex - so how could FfH NOT resemble it!

Best wishes,

Breunor

erm. Had to point this out, but by limiting the beta to pre-orders, it IS a marketing/advertising scheme.

Negative. It's a common sense restriction to keep people who really aren't interested from cluttering up the beta process. The first version is highly unlikely to entertain many of the testers, the second likely wont either. By the third beta, it should be relatively amusing, but still likely to be a crap game. The final two beta versions should resemble the finished product and be enjoyable, if buggy and before feature lock.

You don't advertise games with real beta tests, they aren't fun. If it was open to the general public, a bunch of ******s would come into that first version and go OMG!!! THIS GAME SUCKS!!!!! and leave, spreading misinformation as they went.

Edit: Stardock predates Master of Magic. :)

Top Bottom