Elementary School Students Reportedly Taught Songs Praising President Obama

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aleenik, Sep 24, 2009.

?

Is it right for a teacher to teach students songs that praise the President?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    68.2%
  1. Counterclaw

Counterclaw Prince

Well, someone is voting in the poll above, and I'd be willing to bet the votes that say this is OK aren't from right-wingers. From the left, I'm hearing more screaming about the pledge than objections about the singing. And I don't believe for a second anyone on the left would have said this "wasn't a big deal" if kids had been taught to sing to Bush.

2. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

It's not wrong to praise the prez,but it is wrong to make said prez look like the messiah.

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

If the poll was on the pledge, how would the right whingers vote?

4. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

I don't think that the lyrics make him look like the messiah.

But I also agree with you on this point.

5. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Thank you for that :lol:

Although I would have had the opposite conclusion, just to be friendly ;)

6. dwaxe

dwaxe is not a fanatic

My point was that when you were questioned about it, you underplayed it and said, "I don't know about that." (see first 2 pages)
    I'm merely observing that the reason you don't know is probably that you don't want to know.

7. Maxxie

Maxxie Chieftain

This thread has done it for me. Is there any way in this forum to block posts from particular users so that they are not displayed? I don't enjoy wading through 10 of these poorly written fringe news "articles" a day to find the legitimate political threads that have at least mostly rational comments.

8. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Click on their username and select "add to ignore list."

It's a handy feature.

:)

9. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

You can ignore posts (via users) but not threads. Anyway, you'll learn which threads are likely to develop and which can only arrive at "OMG OBAMA CULT!" Sure, there's crazies out there, but it's very unlikely there are enough them (of this sort) to cause a Stalinesque reign in the US.

Aside from spaced-out school teachers, Kaddafi, Castro, Chavez and Russia... who is praising Obama excessively... hmm, wait.

No need to panic, yet?

10. storical

storical Prince

I agree totally, the word Hussein gets to me, it justs digusts me that American children are singing that. I am not saying Obama is horrible, thats not the point, these children should be grown up and learn for themselves. They should remain unbiased until they are old enough to make their own choice.

11. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I'm a left-wing person and I think teaching children to sing about any specifically-named President is immoral. Let them praise the office of President if they must give praise, but to single out a specific person is political indoctrination - which in Canada would get the teacher fired and their teaching license lifted.

Let the kids grow up and become political satirists, write filk songs, or join the Raging Grannies (not sure what singing protest group men can join). Then they can praise or damn politicians as they please.

12. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

This competitive sentiment offends me. We must spread the punch!
    Don't quit your daytime job in favour of psychology :)
    I keep hearing how this forum is dominated by left-wing poster. Still 2/3rd have voted No. And since I'm a bloody hippy and I said this wasn't a big deal as well, also with regard to saying the pledge, could you be so kind as to explain me how a few nutcases on any side is a big deal?

And those who compare this with 1940's Germany are really hilarious. You do realise that the pledge, which is said in schools around the country each and every day is more like 1940's Germany than a couple of wackjob teachers with an Obama complex? But even there it's nowhere close.

13. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

You participated in state organized and mandated personal worship of a sitting leader on 9/11/03?

14. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

Did they have to use a Jesus song and Jesus lyrics?

Yes, Obama loves me. Yes, Obama loves me. Yes, Obama loves me... the CNN tells me sooo.

15. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

In all seriousness, this activity is pretty inexcusable.

16. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

They say it was for Black History Month (Feb. for those not in the US) to recognize a great black contributor - Obama. Apparently, it was a one time event/presentation/kid's recital kind of thing.

Not excusable, but... meh.

Take out the Obama and substitute 'president' and is it so bad? He wants what he thinks is best for people and is not racist... ok... big deal.

Quoting from the bible is weird though. And so is the "equal pay for equal work"... as if qualifications/circumstances that represent security for the employer should be left out of the equation.

17. JollyRoger

It's our President's middle name. Pretty unhinged for you to be disgusted by it.

18. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

To be honest i find it quite disgusting. This stuff only belongs in North Korea(or in religion).

If they absolutely need someone or something to praise, praise democracy, freedom of speech and things like that.

19. JollyRoger

So someone shouldn't have the freedom to sing about certain topics, but singing about freedom of speech is encouraged? :crazyeye:

20. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

But it wasn't democracy or freedom of speech month... it was black history month and so praising great black leaders was more appropriate. I'm sure other songs were sung and other great black leaders praised during this event.