Eliminating Global Warming.

Yoadm

Warlord
Anyone know how to stop this mid-game? It's cumbersome and does not help gameplay at all.

Back up globaldefines.xml in \Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML and place a copy of it in the custom directory, My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\xml. This prevents the original from being damaged and causing huge errors.

In globaldefines, locate GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB and change the associated value from 20 to zero.

Regardless of our views on global warming, the implementation in this game is really ridiculous and removing it is usually the best course.

Or stop warming the globe.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Heh. No real choice on our part. The AIs can generally get enough :yuck: buildings running to convert the whole world into desert. This happens more quickly as the difficulty goes up.

Back up globaldefines.xml in \Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML and place a copy of it in the custom directory, My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\xml. This prevents the original from being damaged and causing huge errors.

In globaldefines, locate GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB and change the associated value from 20 to zero.

Regardless of our views on global warming, the implementation in this game is really ridiculous and removing it is usually the best course.

What about the following:
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_FOREST</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>50</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
<Define>
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_UNHEALTH_WEIGHT</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Im asking about these two because I changed what you said I should, saved a copy of the original XML in the XML folder of the mygames gamefolder, yet global warming still hit a turn after I reloaded the game. Any reason for that?

What about the following:
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_FOREST</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>50</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
<Define>
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_UNHEALTH_WEIGHT</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Im asking about these two because I changed what you said I should, saved a copy of the original XML in the XML folder of the mygames gamefolder, yet global warming still hit a turn after I reloaded the game. Any reason for that?

You only need to change what Tristan_C said before. That is what I did long ago and it works fine. However, it sounds like you put the changed XML in the wrong place. Leave the original file in place and unchanged. Put the copy in the gamefolder of your Documents folder in the subfolder called "CustomAssets" and make the changes in the copy. Make sure that you use the CustomAssets folder for the game you play, that is the one in the Civilization IV folder if you play vanilla, and the one in the BTS folder if you play BTS. Each one has its own CustomAssets folder.

EDIT: I just noticed that you said you reloaded a game in progress. I've not tried to make the change for a game in progress. It may be that it will only take effect on newly started games.

Sorry, I didn't make it completely clear that you want to modify the custom one which you create, not the original. Those other values are weights: the extent to which forests slow down GW, and unhealthy buildings speed it up. If, say, you wanted to make forests more effective or restrict global warming to nuclear weapons, you could change those.

On a related note, assuming that Global Warming does hit and you don't want to modify the game's files, what are some approaches that you can take in-game to help reduce its effects?

Will building Recycling Centres help? What about other Buildings?

Will razing AI Cities that contain Factories and Coal Plants help, too?

I am guessing from the above message that the number of Forests helps... is the same true of Jungles?

Sorry, I didn't make it completely clear that you want to modify the custom one which you create, not the original. Those other values are weights: the extent to which forests slow down GW, and unhealthy buildings speed it up. If, say, you wanted to make forests more effective or restrict global warming to nuclear weapons, you could change those.

So I place a copy of the XML file in terrains (in the xml folder of the gamefolder), and then eliminate the global warming timer? At the same time, I leave the original alone?

So I place a copy of the XML file in terrains (in the xml folder of the gamefolder), and then eliminate the global warming timer? At the same time, I leave the original alone?

Yes as to what to change and what to leave unchanged but the location is whatever-drive-you-use/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond The Sword/CustomAssets/XML. Do not go any deeper into the folders, not Terrains or any others. The file that you are copying should be: GlobalDefines.xml

On a related note, assuming that Global Warming does hit and you don't want to modify the game's files, what are some approaches that you can take in-game to help reduce its effects?

Will building Recycling Centres help? What about other Buildings?

Will razing AI Cities that contain Factories and Coal Plants help, too?

I am guessing from the above message that the number of Forests helps... is the same true of Jungles?

In practical scenarios on maps where you're playing around your actual difficulty vs skill, you can do nothing except try to win faster. It will happen if the game drags on. It's outrageous on marathon (GW checks do not scale).

The best response in a theoretical long-term GW hellhole game is to go for corporations. Even if every tile turns desert, resources still exist and they will still boost corporations. A good sushi can keep cities at a decent size; a good mining can keep them productive even if 90% of their tiles are junk.

In practical scenarios on maps where you're playing around your actual difficulty vs skill, you can do nothing except try to win faster. It will happen if the game drags on. It's outrageous on marathon (GW checks do not scale).

The best response in a theoretical long-term GW hellhole game is to go for corporations. Even if every tile turns desert, resources still exist and they will still boost corporations. A good sushi can keep cities at a decent size; a good mining can keep them productive even if 90% of their tiles are junk.
Good advice! To top it all off, if you are orienting your game towards capturing Sid's Sushi seafood-based Resources, then you'll actually be settling near high-Food Resources that will not be affected by Global Warming. Suddenly, those iceball Cities will start to look a whole lot more attractive...

Top Bottom