Elite: Dangerous

It was nothing like as good as elite, but it had a longevity for me. Huge campaign. First played it with all the pretties turned down. Coming back a couple of years later with loads of mods and a pimp new rig it was a whole new game.

I always thought that the space visuals in Freelancer were spectacular, particularly in modded systems.

I enjoyed freespace two a lot

Internet connection required now. Fans are in an uproar all over internet :mad::mad:
:coffee:

Dooooooont preorder guys! Ever!

Well, it was pretty clear from the set-up an internet connection would be required.

From some time ago
We have also been able to create a connected experience which lets you play your own story whilst in a dynamic, ever unfolding galaxy that is constantly reacting to what you and every other player is doing, be that trading, combat, exploration or missions. This has become fundamental to the whole experience.

Going forwards, being online lets us constantly both curate and evolve the galaxy, with stories unfolding according to the actions of commanders. Exploration is also a key factor, too, and it is important that what a single player explores matches what other players explore whether single or multiplayer – a complex, coherent world – something we have achieved. Galaxy, story, missions, have to match, and it does mean the single player has to connect to the server from time to time, but this has the added advantage that everyone can participate in the activities that can happen in the galaxy. A fully offline experience would be unacceptably limited and static compared to the dynamic, ever unfolding experience we are delivering.
Dooooooont preorder guys! Ever!
Funny, I just did. :)

It's not like I'm not going to get this game.

Ummmm... Mandatory internet connection is always a way to continue having control over a product even after having sold it. So we will have to pay for every single meaningless expansion adding a new ship and three cammo textures in order to keep playing with our buddies, and there will be microtransactions even to buy a zero-gravity WC or you will need to earn 10000000XP to get it by yourself and finally a mensual fee in order to enjoy a richer experience blah, blah, blah... or maybe not.

In any case i personally will wait not only to the final release but some months more to see what happens. It is nothing i need for living anyway. If i like what i see then i will buy. Maybe he made Elite 30 years ago but I dont trust these guys a bit.

I've not really followed this game. If it turns out to be good, maybe I'll buy it. If it looks suspicious, I'll wait, usually until I lose interest altogether.

I thought it was always planned as an MMO? How is it requiring an internet connection a revelation?

Also... can anyone who knows what they are (and isn't too much of a lazy bum to go looking like me) post the minimum/recommended specs for this game? I fear some sort of upgrade may be in order for me.

According to the developers´s FAQ it is both a MMO and singler player and can be played fully off line.
from ED FAQ said:
How will single player work? Will I need to connect to a server to play?
No, it will be possible to have a single player game without connecting to the galaxy server. You won't get the developer injected events and you probably won't be able to sync between server and non-server
I think this is the reason behind furious fans after last revelations about mandatory internet connection.

About specs, it cant be known till the final release, howeer it will be petty high i guees. I dont really care anyway since i am thinking on building a rig powerful enough for Oculus Rift (i already have my first GTX 970 :smug: )

About specs, it cant be known till the final release, howeer it will be petty high i guees. I dont really care anyway since i am thinking on building a rig powerful enough for Oculus Rift (i already have my first GTX 970 :smug: )

Well... good for you I guess?

But seriously, there are no specs announced? Even though the game is in beta and it's only a month from release? How much can still be up in the air at this stage?

Specs:
Computer Requirements

Elite: Dangerous will be released on Windows PC and three months later on Apple Macintosh computers.
The Beta is available only on Windows. You will be able to download the released game on Windows and/or Macintosh computers once it is available, at no extra charge.
Development of the game is ongoing, and so recommended specifications are currently only available for the Beta builds.
Minimum recommended hardware specification:

Direct X 11
Quad Core CPU ( 4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
2 GB System RAM (more is always better)
DX 10 hardware GPU with 1GB video ram
Nvidia GTX 260
ATI 4870HD
Internet connection

Supported Operating Systems:

Windows 7.x
Windows 8.x

Minimum hardware specifications for the final game may be lower as further code optimisations are completed.

So if I get it the game is designed to have a dynamic economy/ emergent politics etc. So the single player version requires a connection since the greater part of the galaxy will emerge from the ground rules set. So you can opt out of the mmo side of stuff but have to update to the player emerged/ balanced galaxy.

He was trying to be sarcastic i think.
So if I get it the game is designed to have a dynamic economy/ emergent politics etc. So the single player version requires a connection since the greater part of the galaxy will emerge from the ground rules set. So you can opt out of the mmo side of stuff but have to update to the player emerged/ balanced galaxy.
That is it apparently. Developers will add events once in a while too. But I would also like a simple space game where you dont need to connect to any server for anything, that would be an originality nowadays. A new better version of X3 would be perfect for me.

Top Bottom