Elizabeth always hates the player

Theruss

Warlord
Seriously...

Even if I am peacemongering. I cannot remember a time where Elizabeth did not hate me. 1000+ hours of playtime and I come to the conclusion that Lizzy hates the player the most out of all the AI's. Sure, she can appear friendly, but she is always about to back stab and declare war on you. :backstab:

I have never seen her at anything other than hostile or guarded after the initial cautious.

I'm making a ton of tourism, Elizabeth, guarded. I'm spreading my religion to her non-religious empire, Elizabeth, guarded. I DoF, defensive pact, open borders, embassies, spy plot, and give her all of my resources and gold, Elizabeth, guarded. No wonder why nobody likes this lady.

She is difficult to become friends with. If you share ideologies, she is much more likely to be agreeable with you. Otherwise, it's hard to get anywhere with her. Not impossible, but difficult to get to friendly.

I love getting her on the far side of a Pangaea map. I just toss a spy into her cap and ignore her complaining.

She only sucks to deal with when she gets the great wall and long bows. Every one else always hates her too, so you can feel free to denounce her for goody points with the other civs. Just make sure to put her our of every ones misery before she gets long bows

She's my favorite villain, for sure. The sheer snark and dismissiveness that she demonstrates is delicious.

Annoying her to the point where she DOWs is a great pastime of mine: stealing tiles with Great Generals, telling her not to spy on me, telling her not to settle by me, promising not to convert and then sending hordes of missionaries, proposing congressional policies that she hates.. good times, haha!

It would be better if Elizabeth's AI was any good at the game. I can handle Alex being a douche because I see him as a legitimate threat.

It seems Elizabeth loves to tell me, "By the grace of God your days are numbered!", when I haven't even done anything to her.

:dunno:

Having Elizabeth as your neighbor stinks in the first 200 turns. Hard to take down England when they have longbows and good city locations.

Having Elizabeth as your neighbor stinks in the first 200 turns. Hard to take down England when they have longbows and good city locations.

It'll stink more if you don't take her out before she gets them ships

Funny how I never ever felt threatened by her :)

She's almost always a terrible AI and gets her ass handed to her by others if I'm playing peacefully, or gets crushed by myself if I feel like domination victory :D

I have never seen her being a runaway, has anyone?

It seems Elizabeth loves to tell me, "By the grace of God your days are numbered!", when I haven't even done anything to her.

:dunno:

What if her religion is Buddhism? Wouldn't it be, "By the grace of gods your days are numbered!" :king:

I've played as England a lot and I know what I'm like, so it's probably my fault!

Seriously, if I spawn near England I try my hardest to kill her off quick, 'cos I know only too well how good her UU's are. I once had a great game playing as Alex where she was my nearest neighbour. I think the map was great plains? Anyway London wasn't coastal (?!) and as soon as she founded York (coastal) I was straight over. (I must admit I thought it odd that London was inland, I thought that the start bias would have forced coastal, maybe the map type screwed that up?)

She is difficult to become friends with. If you share ideologies, she is much more likely to be agreeable with you. Otherwise, it's hard to get anywhere with her. Not impossible, but difficult to get to friendly.

I've never seen her being friends with anyone... at least not for a longer time period. :lol:

She's usually THAT civ that everyone hates, and tend to group attack her, embargo her, and sabotage her via WC. :lol:

She's also my favorite civ to stomp, even if there are other potential threats. Ethiopia is second close (take that you missionary spammer) :crazyeye:

Potential backstab? Count her. Potential annoyance? checked. Spam cities right on your borders? yep. Loses every time? Yep. :lol: and I've noticed that she's one of those civs that will ally bounch of city states, declare war on player and let CS do all the work. (her military is usually useless since AI still doesn't know how to effectively use naval units :( )

I have never seen her being a runaway, has anyone?

Nope, usually get squashed by other AIs or player. :lol: She's more of an annoyance then any real threat. :lol:

I just stole sailing through navigation from her. She is moaning up a storm about it but she is on the far side of both Oda and Ethiopia. She deonounced me for breaking my promise not to spy and I got two friend requests right after lol

I hope Oda teaches her a lesson in manners...

Most of the time she is friendly until she backstabs me. Once, I managed to keep her friendly until turn 370ish (when i won). Guess i just got lucky.

gosh i am playing liz for my first game, sounds like they have changed her a lot!! on BTS i always wanted liz as a neighbour as she teched well (for trading) and was EASY as heck to get friendly with.

Is monty still a nutter? It wouldnt be civ if he wasnt ;)

The trouble is that the random factor overwhelms the AI's built in personalities. Eg. Aggressiveness of AI leaders ranges from 3 to 8, but at the start of every game it gets a random modifier added to it that can skew +2 or -2 either way. The vast majority of leaders have personality attributes no more extreme than 4 or 6, so the random modifier can cause them to switch positions. On top of that, I don't think there's a Civ out there that won't backstab once they start their UU spam, no matter how good neighbours you've been.

Anyway, i did actually have a game where Elizabeth was actually friendly - possibly because there was a powerful and belligerent Ethiopian empire between us, but also perhaps due to the "personality randomisation". She actually asked me if i wanted to be friends, and did so repeatedly.

I also just had a game where Atilla the Hun was friendly. OK, we weren't immediate neighbours, but i was still waiting for the backstab/denunciation/threats that never came. In between us, lay Queen Isabella, who was an absolute jihad mongering headcase. She'd wiped out the Egyptians, the Greeks and had taken Atilla's Court by 1600AD. Naturally, she attacked me on a fairly regular basis once she got her Conquistadors. Hint for you lady - check the terrain first. On a hill over a river with a mountain behind and a fort to one side does not an easy city make!

Top Bottom