1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Elohim Guide 0.40

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Strategy & Tips' started by EverNoob, Mar 18, 2009.

1. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

[SIZE=+1]
    Elohim Guide 0.40
    [/SIZE]

THIS IS AN OLD VERSION OF THE GUIDE. For the new one go here.
    This is an update of my 0.34 version of the guide.

Note: this guide is in the process of being rewritten! :)

Table of Contents

Overview
    The Elohim are a good-aligned human civ. Their defining traits are Tolerant and Defender. By default they can build all standard units in the game, except the Assassin which is replaced by the Devout. All their unique units, buildings and abilties are acquired along the divine tech path.

The Elohim are particularly strong against undead and demon units, and have a unique ritual to lower the AC as well.

Though the Elohim are quite capable in war, they do suffer from extra war weariness. The Elohim palace gives a +20% war weariness penalty. However there are ways to remedy this. ​

The Tolerant Trait
    The Elohim are the only civ with the Tolerant trait. When you acquire another civ's city either by conquest or culture flip, it retains the ability to build units and buildings of the original owner. While it doesn't make the Elohim warmongers per se, it makes the spoils of war extremely rewarding.

This is the only way for the Elohim to get Assassins.

The downside is that acquired cities can't build Elohim units or buildings. Which can be a disadvantage in certain cases.

You can't build another civ's heroes.

You can build another civ's palace, however you lose your original palace doing so since you can only have 1 palace at a time.

Tolerant is a potentially powerful trait and makes every game unique, as it depends on what civs you end up acquiring cities from. The ability to build other palaces is a huge benefit. It gives you access to other types of mana and certain civ wide palace effects (ie: Lanun +1:food: in water tiles). It also makes the Tower victory easier.

Some players claim that Tolerant invites the Elohim to be warmongers. I say it makes them very good rulers. When playing at high difficulty, the AI will declare war on you anyway. And even if your objective is a peaceful victory, some conquest is necessary to have a respectably sized empire at higher difficulties.

Unique features on the map
    At the start of the game, the Elohim know the location of all the unique features on the map. Though the usefulness of this ability is unreliable, it makes a huge difference when you're lucky enough to have certain unique features nearby.

The most useful ones at the beginning of the game is the Remnants of Patria, Yggdrasil, and the Dragon Bones.

Spoiler Basic Info :
    Starting Tech: Ancient Chants

The Elohim have access to all regular buildings and units, except Assassin which is replaced by the Devout.

Unique Buildings

Elohim Palace:
    Produces Spirit, Nature and Water mana.
    Also gives +20% war :mad: in all your cities. This prevents the Elohim from being hardcore warmongers.​

Reliquary:
    Available at Way of the Wise
    100 :hammers:
    +2 :culture:, +1 :yuck:, +1 priest :gp:
    Bestows Spirit Guide to units. This is a multi-purpose building, as it provides :culture:, :gp:, and special abilities. ​

Chancel of Guardians:
    Available at Priesthood
    120:hammers:
    +25% city defense
    20% chance of bestowing Defensive to units.​

Hero

Corlindale:
    Available at Fanaticism
    0 :strength:, 2 :move:, arcane unit, 300:hammers:
    Starts with Hero, Channelling I-II-III, Earth I, Mind I, Spirit I

Corlindale starts with alot of free promotions and can specialize in as many as 4 magic spheres.

Focusing on Mind and Spirit sphere he can quickly gain Domination and Trust. Trust helps you stay at peace to continue your builder strat. Domination is great spell for wartime. That leaves room for 1 more magic sphere at your discretion. The Earth sphere for Corlindale sucks, unless you turn him into a Lich.

Also, he has a special one-time ability to force a peace treaty with every civ who is currently at war with you. However you have to sacrifice Corlindale. Thematically it's a cool ability, but I've never been in a situation where sacrificing him was worth it...if it weren't for Resurrection! :D

World Spell

Sanctuary:
    Forces every non-Elohim unit outside your borders, and prevents them from entering your territory for 30 turns.

The ultimate defense for 30 turns. However don't be fooled, it's also a good offensive world spell. With Sanctuary active, you don't need to defend your cities, which leaves all your units available for offense. Just leave your newly captured cities empty and keep going. Like alot of World Spells, this one is best used mid-late in the game because more stuff can happen in 30 turns the later you are in the game.​

Unique Unit

Monk:
    Available at Priesthood
    6 :strength:, 2 :move:, disciple unit, 120:hammers:
    Starts with Demon Slaying and Medic I

The Elohim jack-of-all-trades unit, with no building requirements to boot. Is useful for attack and defense. In the early game he's good for spearheading attacks, and later he remains useful as a mobile grunt/medic unit or against Demon units. The only thing he can't do is pillage.

As of patch "z" Monk can be upgraded to Paladin or Immortal.​

Devout:
    Available at Poisons
    Replaces Assassin
    5 :strength:, 2 :move:, recon unit, 120:hammers:
    -50% city strength
    Starts with Life I, Channelling I
    Can see hidden animals
    Can explore rival territory
    Upgrades to Shadow, Priest of Leaves, Confessor, Stonewarden, Vicar

The Devout is a non-assassin unit. A generally useless unit in itself, except that he can upgrade to a priest unit, retaining Life I. This grants priest units access to the Life spells, Destroy Undead being the most useful one. Especially when fighting against AV, OO and Sheaim units.

Note that the Devout can only be upgraded to Priest of Leaves, Stonewarden, Confessor, or Vicar. As such it favours FoL, RoK, Order, and Empyrean.

However, even if you don't research Poisons you can still upgrade Hunters directly to Priests.

As of patch "z" Devout can be upgraded to Vicars too.​

Starting Strategies
    First thing to do is switch out of Pacifism since it slows down Warrior production.

The Elohim start with Ancient Chants, which gives them easy access Mysticism or Education.

Mysticism vs Agriculture:
    First tech to research is either Mysticism or Agriculture.

Mysticism works best in a forested area. Starting economy is driven by God King (GK) and Elder Council.

Agriculture works best on flatland next to fresh water. Starting economy is driven by tile improvement via Agriculture derivative techs: Calendar, Animal Husbandry, Education.

In general, Agriculture first works better with Ethne because her Creative trait helps grab resources faster. Mysticism first usually works better with Einion Logos because of his Philosophical trait. The big deciding factor is terrain but most of the time Agriculture first is better.​

Early game military options:
    • Horsemen + Archer
    • Axemen + Catapults
    • Pact of Nilhorn
    • Monks + Catapults
    IMHO Horsemen + Archer (then leading to Horse Archer) is the best overall choice. Mounted units are the only ones that truly benefit from the +10% withdrawal of Homeland, and you can build Archery Range faster. It also naturally leads to Stirrups for Horse Archer.

Monks via Priesthood bulb around turn 100-120 is possible with Einion. Then you can research religion after to get the priests.

Ever since the Hunting :science: cost increase, Hunters are no longer a good option as a main military unit. Unless you have camping resources and no horse/copper. In such cases you can use Hunters until Priesthood, after which you can upgrade your Hunters to priests.

The cornerstone of Elohim military strategy is high city defense. This allows for more offensive units and gives you more time to respond to attacks. Forts also make good additions but aren't strictly necessary. Wall of Stone is nice if you have Standing Stones or founded RoK, but usually isn't worth building an Earth node for. The highest city defense I've ever gotten is +150%, with Ethne.​

Leader Specific Strategy
    Ethne The White:
    Creative, Defender

Creative makes early land grabbing alot easier, usually resulting in a larger empire. It allows newly captured cities to get up and running faster, as well as making them easier to defend. All of which makes Ethne more suited to conquest, either by military or cultural means.

Ethne's advantages are mainly in the early game:
    • In terms of economy, Creative lets you place cities in optimal locations and access resources more easily.
    • In terms of military, more culture means higher city defense and larger borders. Large borders forces opponents to cross more space to get to your cities, which gives you more time to respond to sneak attacks. The Homeland combat bonus also covers a larger area.
    While Ethne can leverage Creative to flip cities, in practice opportunities are fairly rare. Pushing your culture into neighbours' borders will often result in war, so you might as well just expand through conquest. With that said, there are times when flipping cities with culture bombs will be worth it. Otherwise Creative is still useful for forcing your opponents to declare war on you and avoid the diplomatic penalty of DoW.

Ethne's overall game strategy is fairly fluid and flexible, depending on resources, the situation and who you end up conquering. The Tolerant trait means alot more to Ethne than Einion Logos.​

Einion Logos:
    Philosophical, Defender

The double production of Elder Councils and Library are all in line with being a good builder. Different GP strats work well. Einion Logos is the leader most suited to the Altar victory.

Einion's overall game strategy is more set compared to Ethne because it relies on Philosophical. You should choose one particular type of GP to focus on:
    • Sages: This hydrid SE/CE is the most intuitive GP strat with Philosophical. Using the production bonus for building Elder Councils and Library to run Sages. Build the Great Library. Use Great Sages to build Academies most of the time. In combination with OO, you can run enough Sages to keep a high :gold: slider and use Gambling Houses for happiness. Great with Caste System.
    • Prophets: Prophets are used to bulb early Priesthood for Monks, then for the Altar. Order and Empyrean are the better religions for this strategy. Once you have an advanced Altar, you can train Savants/Disciple of Leaves to upgrade to Mage/Ranger as well. Prophets can also be used to bulb Religious Law.
    • Merchants: Run Merchants (and Priests initially) at your capital under God-King. Settle Merchants/Prophets at your capital for the :gold: multiplier, later build the Bazaar of Mammon. For military, get the Guild of the Nine and use all the :gold: generated to recruit merceraries. Or simply build warriors/scouts and upgrade them to save on production.

Corlindale
    The biggest benefit of Corlindale is access to archmage spells without having to research arcane techs.

As of 0.34, units with 0:strength: are no longer targeted by marksman units (Assassins, Shadows, etc). Which is a complete reversal of fortunes for Corlindale. He now makes a great front line archmage, since Assassins won't target him! It's still almost impossible to level him past lvl 10 though.

Corlindale starts with Mind I, Earth I, and Spirit I. Which makes specializing in those spheres natural for him. But since he's no longer vulnerable to assassination, you no longer have to restrict yourself to buffing spells. Anything goes with Corlindale now.

Using only palace mana, he can cast Trust and Vitalize. Those 2 spells are very powerful for peacemongers. Or twincast Water Elementals if you want a more combative Corlindale.

However, Corlindale's true potential is unlocked with the Resurrection spell (Life III). There are many nifty tricks with Corlindale using Resurrection:
    • Cast Peace over and over. (needs to be verified for 0.40)
    • Build Corlindale with Spirit Guide, then get him killed so his xp transfer over. Corlindale must be killed in combat for this to work and this only works the first time he dies.
    • Build the Shrine of the Champion.
    • Corlindale is always resurrected at lvl 1, which means you can change his magic spheres each time.
    There are various ways to get Resurrection:
    1. Druids or FoL/RoK/Order High Priests upgraded from Devouts. High Priests require incense, except RoK which requires gems, and Druids require neutral alignment.
    2. Religious heroes: Sphener, Yvain, Hemah, Gibbon Goetia. Yvain and Sphener start with Life I so don't need Life mana. Hemah and Gibbon require Life mana to get Resurrection.
    3. Archmages. This is the longest and least efficient method, and requires reagents.
    Early Monks
    After much experimentation with early Monks, this is what I've been able to come up with. If anybody has found a better way to get early Monks, please lemme know :)

The main obstacle is the relative high :hammers: cost of Monks early in the game.

Altar + Monks

This strat only works for Einion Logos, since it needs Philosophical. Ethne can get early Monks too, but minus the Altar.
    Code:
    Agriculture ----
                    \
                     \
                      --------Education -------- 
                     /                          \
                    /                            \
    Ancient Chants -                              - [COLOR="red"]Priesthood[/COLOR]
                    \                            /
                     \                          /
                      - Mysticism - Philosophy -
    Priesthood is bulbed with a Great Prophet. You can either build Altar I first, then bulb. Or you can bulb first, then start on the Altar. Depends how early you want Monks. A realistic goal is Priesthood by turn 100-120. Monks have no building requirement so they can be built in any city, but your capital under God-King should be your main city to train Monks at this point.

It's a pretty short research path for a T3 unit, but you still need some early commerce/production techs or else your economy will suffer. This strat is favoured if you start with Incense for the commerce and happiness. For production, Mining-->Archery is a good option.

I'd strongly suggest getting Catapults too.

Ignore religion until after Priesthood.

For the purposes of xp bonuses, Altar V is sufficient. Once you get around to acquiring a religion, other disciple units are built at the Altar too.

Any religion is fine to follow up with, except CoE and Empyrean. Empyrean is expensive, plus the main perk of Empyrean are Radiant Guard and Ratha. CoE has no priest. AV is ok, but it'll stop your Altar progress.​
    Other Specific Strategies

Spoiler Rush to Empyrean/CoE :
    Rush to Empyrean/CoE
    Code:
    Agriculture ------- Animal Husbandry -- Horseback Riding -- Trade -- [COLOR="Blue"]Honor[/COLOR]
                    \                                        /        /  [COLOR="Red"]Deception[/COLOR]
                     \                                      /        /
                      - Education --- Writing --------------        /
                     /                                             |
                    /                                              |
    Ancient Chants -                                               |
                    \                                              |
                     \                                             |
                      - Mysticism -- Philosophy -- [COLOR="Blue"]Way of the Wise [/COLOR]-
                                                  [COLOR="Red"]Way of the Wicked[/COLOR]

This beeline to Honor/Deception includes enough economic/military/worker techs to make it self sufficient (except Exploration for roads), though you may want to divert to Calendar/Mining/Cartography. Early military is Horsemen, which synergize well with the +10% withdrawal from Defender.

Then start spreading the religion to neighbours. And more importantly you should gift Honor/Deception to your neighbours so they join the Overcouncil/Undercouncil for the diplomatic relations bonus.

Note that this only works if Horses are available.

Ethne seems to be better for this strat. Since this is a beeline for a late religion, :) resources are essential to make up for the lack of early religion. Ethne's creative trait is excellent for grabbing resources.

After going Empyrean, you can start on the religious techs.[/indent]
    Code:
                    - Religious Law
                   /
                  /
    Priesthood + /
    Code of Laws \  
                  \
                   \
                    - Fanaticism -- Righteousness

I'd suggest going for Religious Law first, to pick up Chalid Astrakein, then Fanaticism for Corlindale. Chalid is a really powerful hero, combine him with Corlindale and you're set. With the Overcoucil and Trust (from Corlindale), you're on your way to win the game peacefully. Monks usually take a back seat in this strat. At this point you can start on the Altar of Luonnotar. Or you can pass the Liberty global civic at the Overcouncil for a cultural victory.

If you went CoE then Fanaticism/Religious Law becomes much less useful. Instead it opens up nice options for going down the cavalry and commerce tech paths. One advantage of CoE over Empyrean is that Gibbon Goetia is available right away, giving you immediate access to Trust.​

2. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

Doesn't work anymore.

Will comment on rest later. Maybe.

3. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

Thanks! I was actually wondering if that exploit was fixed.

It's a fairly minor update of the guide, after patch z I'll finalize the update after I see how the Monk upgrade works out.

4. someone67

someone67 Warlord

I just started a game with me as Elohim and an Svartalfar AI. I opend the worldbuilder and placed a Svartalfar city next to my capitol. I took the city and made a scout. The scout was promoted to sinister.

So it seems that this has been fixed.:)

5. popejubal

popejubal Emperor

I did some of this in an Elohim game and had a very good time with them. I was very disappointed when the second capital from another civ (*cough*Sidar*cough*) turned out to be a bug that Kael has recently fixed. I thought it was just a really awesome feature.

I did not do the Disciple ->Priest->Paladin/Druid, but that's a pretty cool thing. I do have two observations:

1) Don't cast Stoneskin on Corindale. It gives him 2 defense and that is just enough to get him killed by Assassins. :(

2) You lose any High Priests when you switch religions, but you do not lose Paladins/Druids/Eidolons when you switch alignment. If you go Neutral with OO, then you can grab a few Tsunami casting Druids and switch to Ashen Veil for Evil and grow yourself a few AV priests (and don't forget to train up a few 10 XP Savants to turn into Mages if you have/will tech to Sorcery). Switch to Order or Order, then Empyrian at the end and you can start cranking out Blessed face smashing Paladins upgraded from a Priest of your choice. (iirc, you cannot upgrade AV Priests to Paladins - that's just silly). The High Priests of both Order and Empyrian (pick one) are pretty cool and you don't really need either Treants or Kraken.

You probably won't be able to/want to research all of those religions, but chances are that someone will spread one or more of them to you eventually. 10 turns in each is enough to get the job done for popping out a couple of priests for later.

6. DaleKing

DaleKing Chieftain

Just a coupla minor Elohim questions
    why does the reliquary cause unhealthiness?
    and
    are the devout's strength 5/3 like assassins or are they just 5, thus making them a little hardier?

7. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

Thanks for the update!

8. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Addenum: Oh yeah, almost forgot - Great thread. I'm not much of an Elohim fan, but this is all very well done. :)
    That's a bit like asking why any mechanic works like it works. Why does Governor's Manor give +1 :mad:?

The fluff explenation would probably be something along the lines of the Reliquary not being good for sanitation. After all, it's basicly a major, presumably public, shrine containing relics - pieces of bone, clothing, etc.

9. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

Devout have 5:strength: attack and defense versus the Assassin's 6/4:strength:

10. Verdian

Verdian King

Excellent, thanks for a great guide. I really like the Elohim, but have not been playing them lately. A lot has changed, so I will have to give them a go again.

11. DaleKing

DaleKing Chieftain

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound as though I were complaining or whining...it enhances my playing experience when I can apply those fluff explanations to the various game effects.

12. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

I'm not sure what you're referring to :confused:

13. cIV_khanh93

cIV_khanh93 Prince

Dale asked about the unhealthiness of reliquaries, and Luckmann gave a response

14. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

Yeah I think the Reliquary, Chancel of Guardians and Monks need some balance adjustments. I get the feeling they were balance for when the Elohim had Spiritual, which is no longer the case.

For example, I find the Chancel of Guardians quite expensive for what it does. I'd rather it just be cheaper to build but only give +25% defense, or keep the :hammers: cost but increase the chance to bestow the Defensive promotion.

15. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

Patch "z" is out now! It's been a pretty good patch for the Elohim: finally Devout can be upgraded to Empyrean priests too, and Monks can now be upgraded to Paladin and Immortal.

Corlindalle even got new art! :D

16. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

Time to try to Elohim the hell out of Erebus again.

17. someone67

someone67 Warlord

This is not true. It has been fixed.

18. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

19. cabbagemeister

cabbagemeister Please wait...

A question: in team games, if your teammate gifts you (the Elohim player) a city, does it count as conquered for the purposes of building units? If so, what strategies might this open up? Who would be the optimal teammate for an Elohim player?

Edit: Alternately, could you gift cities to your teammate and have them re-gift them back, and get their units that way?

20. Verdian

Verdian King

I know nothing about multiplayer strategy, but I would imagine it would be helpful to receive a teammate's city.

Gifting them a city and getting it back would not give you access to their units, though, in much the same way that losing a city to an enemy and then getting it back does not let you. The units and buildings you can build are determined by the original city's builder, regardless of how many times it changes hands.