1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Elucidia Resigns

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Bootstoots, Jul 22, 2003.

1. FortyJ

FortyJ Chieftain

I 100% agree Cyc...

I didn't even catch that until moments ago, and it's annoying me more with every passing moment. What on earth would possess us to give our only tradeable tech - one of the most expensive ones discovered yet, mind you - to them? Did we have some trade deal worked out with them that implies some obligation on our part to do so?

I'm not getting this. I know we'd talked loosely with them about trading Construction for something, but I don't recall signing a deal with them on this. Furthermore, I think we're already giving them enough in this deal (free access to our coastal waters, etc...). I don't see the need to give them Construction for nothing in return.

Let them declare war on GCA and trade maps with us and then I'd gladly give them Construction and all our gold (less the 80g needed to upgrade our 2 warriors).

EDIT: Just read Octavian's comments regarding CoL and Philosophy.... Can somebody please provide a link to the thread in which this "deal" was agreed to with Apolyton? As far as I know, this was only discussed loosely, but never finalized.

2. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

The deal was passed, FortyJ. Poll is here. If anything, we're in breach of this agreement, what with getting CoL and Philosophy from Elucidia. I'd just hand over quietly...

3. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

So we cemented an international deal on three votes total? OKAY...

But I can see I'm still friken invisible.

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Cyc, I'm so invisible I bet you haven't even seen my post here! Damn that deal was horrible!

I wasn't posting in this thread because I didn't think it would be all that important: they give us gifts, they make a last stand, thats it. I shoulda payed more attention to all this stuff giving in to apolytan.

We are doing the 2nd worst out of any team in the MSDG known to the score and demographics and the current events. The worst is Elucidia. Giving away construction is a fools gesture.

5. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

:hmm: Did I just hear Hygro? :mischief: Strange... I thought I heard him, but I don't see him...:cooool: Oh, there he is!

6. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Why's Elucidia resigning? I'm new here, please forgive my unknowfulness.

7. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    CDG is being clobered by GCA, that is the main reason they are resigning.

8. FortyJ

FortyJ Chieftain

Two points Octavian...
    1. I would argue that that deal failed to reach a quorum with only 3 votes. That's less than 15% of our current active participation.
    2. I would also argue that the collapse of CDG negates the terms of that previous deal. Since there was no way that either of us could possibly know that CDG would be gifting away their remaining assets to the two of us, I find it unfair and equally unreasonable that we must give away our gift to them without any compensation for it. Perhaps if Apolyton were to trade us some of the cities they received from CDG (although we couldn't possibly hope to defend them from GCA)...
    I am fervently opposed to giving Construction to Apolyton - deal or no deal.

9. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

I think we should get a least a good tech in return...

10. FortyJ

FortyJ Chieftain

I've changed my mind. I'd be willing to give them Construction in return for an open declaration of war against GCA.

11. Hygro

yeah open declaration and give us less valuable techs or something ;)

12. FortyJ

FortyJ Chieftain

Or even the promise of a sneak attack within X turns... (assuming X is a relatively small number)

13. Hygro

well if you've read Dave Barry's column regarding algebra from a year or more ago then you'll know in algebra, X always means 10 thanks to the Romans... well its funny how he writes it ;)

on a side note, for my last like, 100 posts online I've ended them with the wink. I should stop.

14. Octavian X

Please reconsider, FortyJ. Changing our minds now on the construction stuff would severly sour our relations with Apolyton. If anything, using construction as a bribe for war would actually change Apolyton's position on the GCA War. They may decide not to fight them altogether. At least with this, we're closer to getting a new ally.

15. Hygro

i do not appreciate making allies by way of 3 voters.

16. Octavian X

Listen, the deal was signed. Anyone could have objected along the way. We have no quorum. That deal was done.

We still need to hold our end of that deal, despite it's breach, to keep our Apolytonian relationship afloat.

17. FortyJ

FortyJ Chieftain

You are correct, Lord Octavian. A deal is a deal, and we have no requirement for quorum (which is something that we should perhaps consider adding for non-time-sensitive deals such as this).

However, I would still argue that the collapse of CDG, which was certainly unexpected, should negate the deal, as we were not party to their decision to gift us those technologies. If we were somehow instrumental in their decision to gift us those techs, then we would be clearly in violation of that agreement, but we were not and therefore should not be punished for such.

I'm not asking for much, either - some gold, a world map, a lesser tech, anything. If we simply give away Construction to Apolyton, then Apolyton will trade it to GCA and we will once again find ourselves in last place in technology with little chance of keeping pace with the others.

They both have more cities than we do so they can afford to dedicate a larger portion of their economy to science than we can, especially with the war that we are fighting single-handedly.