Emancipation? Why do they vote for it?

sabo

My Ancestors were Vikings
This has bugged me since I got the game, when emancipation is up for a vote why does the AI always vote FOR it? You'd think they'd be smart about it and vote no. They have no advantage if they vote everyone to have it.

The AI is simply programmed to always favor Emancipation whenever it shows up, up to and including Wang Kong. As for what advantage they get out of doing so, it forces the player into a useless civic and out of Slavery/Caste System. That's it. There's no other reason why the AI has such an obsessive love for Emancipation.

Good point! lol...

Yeah, could be a lot more interesting if they didn't all bandwagon Emancipation. Instead having many cling to the old ways (which is, um, what happened historically). The AI's motivation in UN votes in particular seem odd. Like are they in character? Or aligned with their civ's interests?

This is one of the things that is hard-coded to specifically hurt the player. At higher levels, emancipation ALWAYS hurts the player much more than the AI due to how the bonuses work. The devs didn't want people running slavery in the 2000s AD I guess.

This is one of the things that is hard-coded to specifically hurt the player. At higher levels, emancipation ALWAYS hurts the player much more than the AI due to how the bonuses work. The devs didn't want people running slavery in the 2000s AD I guess.
If an AI civ wants to run slavery into the 2000's and have everyone unhappy and screaming for Emancipation, I say let them. Doesn't the AI usually activate emancipation anyway, why would they want their people unhappy and screaming for Emancipation? Are you saying that the AI doesn't riot for Emancipation like my Civ does?

AIs suffer from Emancipation unhappy just like a human player will, though it's rare that it actually bothers them. Emancipation unhappy is magnified by how much of the world is actually running the civic, so a player that's desperately holding on to Caste System will feel the unhappy, whereas AIs will notice basically nothing if a player tries some kind of Democracy beeline and adopts the civic first.

If an AI civ wants to run slavery into the 2000's and have everyone unhappy and screaming for Emancipation, I say let them. Doesn't the AI usually activate emancipation anyway, why would they want their people unhappy and screaming for Emancipation? Are you saying that the AI doesn't riot for Emancipation like my Civ does?
Acametis already hit on this pretty well, but yeah, if every AI adopts Emancipation as soon as they can, it makes it very hard for the player not to. The devs did little tricks like this all over the game rather than actually coding a competent AI. I'm sure it's cheaper and easier to code hurdles for the human instead of a smarter AI. In a perfect world, Deity would get no bonuses, but the AI would just be better at the game. But that's not the case unfortunately. The same military tricks that work against the AI at Settler level will work at Deity as well. The task is to get your empire to a point where you can exploit those weaknesses in the first place.

I don't usually pay much attention to Emancipation. If I start having unhappiness due to it, I raise the culture slider, so theaters and coleseums compensate for it. The only fly in the oinment there is if the UN votes it in. That's the main reason that I strive to be the Sed-Gen of the UN, so it never gets voted on.

Acametis already hit on this pretty well, but yeah, if every AI adopts Emancipation as soon as they can, it makes it very hard for the player not to. The devs did little tricks like this all over the game rather than actually coding a competent AI. I'm sure it's cheaper and easier to code hurdles for the human instead of a smarter AI. In a perfect world, Deity would get no bonuses, but the AI would just be better at the game. But that's not the case unfortunately. The same military tricks that work against the AI at Settler level will work at Deity as well. The task is to get your empire to a point where you can exploit those weaknesses in the first place.
I was looking as the respect that I already have emancipation.... So them all voting "Yes" would not harm me any. I would I believe hurt the AI civs

Emancipation hurts most when you are small and in the minority. The worst part about the UN vote is it locks you into the civic, not the civic itself, and that defying it will hurt you anyway on top of Emancipation anger too.

If you are larger you have more access to resources to make trades and the ratio of your pop to the rest of the world in Emancipation's pop is not as bad, and so the malus is not as bad either.

You can also just largely ignore it with culture slider once cities are developed enough to have theaters+coliseums+markets everywhere, if they are not voting it. It's the actual world villain stuff that hurts, had it stacked up to -15 before.

Unfortunately the only way to reverse the resolution is to vote it again, and have it fail due to lack of support, which is just not really gonna happen, so control of the UN or razing it before they vote for it is your best bet. I end up doing the same thing a lot with the AP as obsoleting it doesn't work intuitively (I guess the OWNER of the AP has to get Mass Media, not the controller) and the AIs are incessant about call stop-war votes with it. So, they just don;t get to play with it anymore then :D

Helps if you direct quote the quotee as it will ping them to respond. I believe FJL is referring to the fact that bonuses increase over time for the AI during the game..that is production, research and gold. Emancipation simply sucks - and is very passive from a strategic standpoint for the human player - and being forced into it negates human strategies. Caste or Slavery being light years better options than Emancipation...all game.

AI is not strategic. They are artificially advanced via bonuses.

Top Bottom