1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Embargo! A Restricted Trade Succession Game

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by Prof. Garfield, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Deity Civ2 GOTM Staff Retired Moderator

And here is my log:
    1780 AD preturn: sold some buildings and RB units
    1782 AD >53M / destroyed Lunde (17g) / hut->100g / peace with Vikings / oil to Edo (138g+63g)+dye to Kolhapur (219g)
    1784 AD Romans destroyed a city / Mobile Warfare (barracks sold for 640g) / Mobile Warfare->Mass Production>54M / captured Vallodalid(181g)+Seville(165g)+Leon(150g) / beads to Edo (28g)+oil to Osaka(54g)+ oil to Jaipur(98g)
    1786 AD Vikings sneaked attacked / >56M / captured Madrid (191g)+Ravenna(462g)/ peace with Romans / oil to Suo(179g)+beads to Edo(66g)+spice to Bangalore (280g)
    1788 AD lost Ravenna to Romans / >58M /captured Skara (with Eiffeltower+74g)/ cloth to Utica (74g)+ beads to Beijing(45g)+gems to Lahore(120g)
    1790 AD Spanish moved capitol / Mass Production->Computers / hides to Salamanca (18g)+ oil to Edo (300g)+oil to Beijing(290g)
    1792 AD Captured Panormus (546g)+Vigo(206g) / coal to Salamanca (18g)+Spice to Izumo(174g)+oil to Carthage (291g)
    1794 AD >60M / captured Ravenna(300g)+Burgos(214g)+Salamanca(182g) / beads to Granada (86g)+silk to Hladir(460g)+oil to Carthenna(282g)
    1796 AD Computers->Robotics / >63M / gold to Panormus(236g) / captured Malaca(650g) / Carth's destroyed / cloth to Edo (63g)+dye to Calcutta (179g)
    1798 AD >64M / captured Virocorium (345g)+Toledo(241g)+Granada(189g)+Bilbao(149g) / copper to Seville (192g)+oil to Edo(310g)+salt to Bangalore(126g)
    1800 AD >69M / captured Pisae(Statue of Liberty+220g) / wine to Bangalore(119g)+gems to Suo (112g)+copper to Satsuma(62g) / bribed Ciudad Rodrigo(82g)+Calatavra(70g)

A lot happened. The Carth's are down and the Spanish have only one city. It's best to bribe the next turn. That way our army can be set up for a war against the Vikings. The Romans were tough in the first 5-6 turns. We had only a small army on that part of the world and the attacked several times. During one of the attacks they captured a city and got advanced flight which allowed bombers for them...instead of only building a flying army I had to build some fighters to keep those nasty bombers away from our cities. The best way to attack at the moment is attacking with a lot of bombers and after destroying the last unit of the city try to get most of the surrounding tiles occupied and then capturing the city. This way the Romans won't get to much partisans near the city... We will have very soon howitzers....so I left a lot of money in the pocket for the next to RB them.....

Good luck for the next....we can win this!!!

Attached Files:

2. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

Excellent work. I'll play as soon as I can, but I have to study for exams, so I don't know how long it will be before I finish.

3. Magic_gorter

Take youre time. Exams are important so let do that first....we are playing some months now....a few more doesn't mind....

4. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

Good stuff. This seems to be going well now.

5. Prof. Garfield

Fortunately, I was able to take an afternoon off after my Economics exam due to the way my schedual worked out, so I was able to play for a decent length of time, which sped up the playing process.

The Vikings have been all but eliminated and I've taken a number of core Roman cities.

(0) 1800: Make rearrangements to production. Decide to produce SETI in Turin instead of Bergen (I periodically added freights to the wonder). Rush airport in Pisa from scratch. Use active spy to explore Viking mainland. Raise science to 20% to ensure discovery of robotics.
    (1) 1802: Vikings develop flight. Rush airport in Bergen to 120 shields. Robotics, begin Labour Union (over combined arms, rocketry, atomic theory). Pisa builds Airport. Vikings withdraw troops. Incite revolt Oviedo for 292g, get 367 back, Spanish destroyed. Switch lots of production to howitzers. Rush a battleship (40s to 120s) in Issus Island. Rush some other units. Rush Valletta airport.
    (2) 1804: Romans develop flight. Valletta Airport. Bergen Airport. Take Caesarea. Senate forces peace with Romans. Cancel new bomber construction.
    (3) 1806: Romans incite revolt Indian city of Lugdunum, take electronics. Toronto Superhighways. Hamburg to Edo oil (d) for 315g. Matsuyama to Carthage gems (d) for 240g. Toronto to Uppsala wine (d) for 805g. Romans withdraw troops. Boost science to 20% again to ensure discovery. Advanced Tribe Reykjavik.
    (4) 1808: Vikings develop guerrilla warfare. Indians deliver freight to Cartenna. Suo superhighways. Labour Union, begin combined arms. Shanghai to Edo hides (nd) for 61g. Naples to Nagasaki oil (d) for 304g. Suo to Aarhus dye (d) for 572g. Vikings refuse to withdraw troops, war. Take Sigtuna, get 103g. Senate forces peace with Vikings. With 5k treasury, up science to 30%.
    (5) 1810: Romans develop automobile. Capua Manufacturing Plant. Nagasaki Offshore platform. Beijing to Edo salt (nd) for 72g. Hakodate to Suo beads for 93g. Milan to Rome Spice for 604g. Vikings withdraw troops. Rush and partial rush factories.
    (6) 1812: Indians develop automobile. Combined arms, begin recycling. Suo Factory. Matsuyama Superhighways. Sydney to Kyoto Coal (d) for 265g. Lisbon to Nagasaki salt (nd) for 23g. Echigo to Kaupang oil (d) for 710g. Vikings refuse to withdraw; war. Rush various paratroopers.
    (7) 1814: Viking cruiser attacks Edo, destroys rifleman. Recycling, begin Rocketry. Satsuma factory. Osaka factory. Take Roskilde, get 220g. Take Trondheim, get 119g. Take Aarhus, get 855g. Peace with Vikings.
    (8) 1816: Turin builds SETI Program. Matsuyama builds Airport. War with Romans. Take Pompeii, get 816g. Take Rome, get 420g. Take Palmyra, get 165g. Peace with Romans. War with Vikings. Take Viborg, get 748g. Take Kaupang, get 816g. Take Uppsala, 137g. Incite revolt Hladir for 1065g, get 126 back and Adam Smith. Peace with Vikings. Hut near Reykjavik: barbarians.
    (9) 1818: Indians develop flight. Barbarians demand 6500 gold to save Reykjavik; I refused. Suo Airport. Rocketry, begin Space Flight. Matsuyama to Bergen Silver (d) for 1530g. Suo to Bergen Copper (nd, demand just dried up) for 664g. Issus Island to Bombay dye (d) for 539g. Vikings withdraw troops. War with Romans.
    (10) 1820: Barbarian uprising on Island 21. Romans steal espionage. Space Flight, begin Environmentalism. Bergen Manufacturing plant. War with Vikings. Take Ravning Enge, 500g. Bribe The Udal for 784g, get 318 back. Bribe Hedeby for 270g, get 67 back. Senate forces peace with Vikings. Take Antium, 935g. Take Veii, 750g. Build Tokugawa. Move troops from Viking mainland to fight barbarians, bribe a couple.

Notes:
    There is an active spy on the ship beside the last Viking city. The next player can either subvert immediately, or wait for next turn, and either get more partisans if the Vikings agree to withdraw troops or get the city for half price if the Vikings go to war.

I recommend rushing an airport in Rome immediately, to heal all the aircraft nearby.

Both the Romans and the Indians have flight, but I’ve not had too much trouble with fighters against the Romans or the Vikings; just be careful to stack a ground unit with the bombers if there are a lot on a square.

A few freight deliveries and the plundering of some large cities gave decent a decent cash flow during my turns, so I boosted science. I figured that the risks of a space race were minimal, and that it would be safe to have the later technologies.

Plenty of units are sleeping, if the next player wants to do anything with them this turn.

The barbarian uprising occurred next to the lone partisan. This proximity to cities signals that we have a number of danger areas with regards to partisans; we should keep this in mind and perhaps have units patrolling some of our fringes (IIRC, barbs don’t appear in recently travelled territory.).

We’ll probably want to start hostilities with the Indians soon, but I’ll leave that to the next player. It is probably best, therefore, to move our Viking theatre troops to our homeland, instead of to Rome.

Given the decent flow of cash I had, I industrialized a few more cities. When capturing extremely large cities, I recommend rushing a mass transit from scratch immediately. Also, convert 16 entertainers to taxmen.

Good luck to the next player.

Attached Files:

6. Magic_gorter

Very well done. I never expected that the vikings could be minimized to 1 city in only 10 turns.....The romans still have some cities but they are also doomed. The only problem is now to find all those cities but perhaps the Apollo wonder will help us with that.

Only the indians left as a big civ.... it's really looking we gonna win this one by conquest.

7. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

Good set of turns, I'll try and play this week. We've not had many barbarians in this game for some reason. I think Apollo is probably necessary for finding cities, but India could need knocking down a peg or two first.

8. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

Finished at last. There's so many units to move around that each turn seems to take an hour or more.

1820 Rush buy a few things, Subvert Larne for 900, got 57 back, Vikings Destroyed

1822 Environ->Atom theory,Neoplis captured 1134g, Garfieldate Silver Pompeii 75g, taxes to 4-1-5,Nintendo Oil Madrid 86g, Milan Gold bankgalore 102g

1824 Indians demand Adv Flight, say no, don't break alliance, Izumi founded, panama oil kyoto 80g, Ise oil edo 392g, Kozuke dye bangalore 130g,

1826 Atom thoery->plastics, hispalis captured 690g, hut =50g, Cumae captured 784g, few partisans

1828 Lugdunum captured 249g, Omi founded, Echizen oil Veii 576g, sAtsuma wine brundisium 50g, Alaska oil banglaore 46g taxes to 2-3-5

1830 Plastics->Nuclear fission (no other choices) , Port Naga cloth calvatrava 30g, Nagoya gold antrium 92g, Caesaraugusta captured 600g, salt bangalore 37g

1832 Religious fanatics uprising near panama, barb artillery near genoa bribed & 67 barb units destroyed, Upper Echiego founded, New Kozuke Founded

1834 Inidans develop Nuclear Fission, Nuke fission-> nuke power, Uprising near byzantum, Byzantium captured 529g, Little India foudned near chittagong, Jerusalem captured 198g, Naples II founded

1836 Religious fanatics near gades, Nuke Power->Laser, coastal issus founded, bottom cunaxa founded,

1838 LAser->superconductor nagoya spice byzantium 107g, cremona II founded,ghent salt rome 106g, prague wine bangalore 176g

1840 Indians develop computers, Superconductor->fusion power, Lutetia captureds 276g, Syracuse captured 228g, Romans destroyed. Reykavik liberated from barbs, Spanish Cannae founded

There are many units not yet moved this turn. After destroying the Romans I thought I would leave it there. We still have the indian alliance, so I guess you'll have to decide whether to goad them into war or switch to communism or fundy. I've built a launch city on the side of India.

Barbs are starting to become a problem, I didn't manage to destroy the central stack near Gades but there are enough units around ex-Rome to take care of them, getting to the central stack is a problem because of the mountains, but bombers should be able to build a path there. I've been trying to build new cities to halt new barbs, but we still need more cities (and thinking up names is difficult now!)

Neither us nor the indians have built Manhatten or Apollo program. The Indian cities are qute well guarded but we have so many units it should be easy enough. have fun :p

Attached Files:

9. Prof. Garfield

Excellent.

We shouldn't have too much trouble provoking the Indians. IIRC, democracies can cancel alliances without worrying about the Senate (though they do still suffer a reputation hit). Once the alliance is cancelled, I imagine that the Indians will be quite angry and rather easily provoked.

I also notice that Osaka will starve in 3 turns if a square near it is not irrigated immediately.

We're nearly done. It looks like I won't get another set of turns.

10. Magic_gorter

Very well done Charlie.. As soon as I got time...will be after x-mas I try to get a nice war with the Indians. We will indeed play our last turns...still don't know if I can do it in 10 turns....but victory is really close.

11. Magic_gorter

Sorry all of you that it takes so long for me to play my turns but I finnaly started yesterday. After x-mas holiday the temperatures were below zero (Celsius)...so we could skate on ice for the first time in many years. After that I became ill till last weekend.

I try to finish today...I only don't know how fast the turns will go....it all depands on that.

12. Magic_gorter

The game is over...no surprises...we won.
    I only needed 3 turns to destroy the Indian civ. I had no patience to conquer them on a normal:hammer: way. I chose the rapid way :nuke::nuke::D

Here is the log:
    1842 AD oil to Dublin (506g)+ oil to Pamplona (206g) + silver to Karachi (334g)/ CapuaII founded
    1844 AD TurinII + GenoaII founded / build a lot of spies and engineers for last attack
    1846 AD Aarhus build Manhattan Project / canceled Alliance->attacked (senate aproves) ->destroyed first city below Bangalore / captured Bangalore (403g)+Chittagong (38g) / explosion near Jaipur (420g) + explosion near Kolhapur (248g) + explosion near Calcutta (248g) + explosion near Delhi (176g) + explosion near Madras (279g) + explosion near Bombay (385g) / captured Dacca (32g) / Explosion near Lahore (272g) + explosion near Bengal (150g) + explosion near Genoa (34g) + eplosion near Karachi (170g)->Indian civ destroyed

Added the last save game just before capturing the last city and a screenshot. To end the game you have to skip turns over 100 times;)

Attached Files:

13. Prof. Garfield

Very nice.

Using suitcase nukes was probably the most practical solution, given the circumstances.

When luxuries are set to 100% before capturing the last city, we have a score of 4077. If we had cleaned up the pollution, our score would be over 4500.

14. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

Excellent, I think I would have been tempted to end it that way. Good game guys, it was fun and I think I learnt a lot from it.

15. Magic_gorter

Same for me. Was my first deity 3+ game and I learned some new things/strategies.
    Thanks to all who joined this succesion game. Perhaps soon a new game on a lower level so that mayby more players will be interested to join.

16. Prof. Garfield

We could do a Deity game with restrictions of some sort.

For example, we could stay in despotism for the whole game (I participated in an unfinished succession game of this sort a few years ago) or we could play without caravans.

17. Magic_gorter

Staying in Depotism is looking like a real challenge. We could try that if there are enough players who want to join. I will join for sure.....

Who will play too???

18. Terrapin

Terrapin Prince

Great games, guys. D+3 pre-1850 conquest with restricted trade is quite a feat. I am not set up to play on-line (my home computer is not on the 'net), or I would try the all Despotism game. It does occur to me that someone posted a thread asking why anyone ever switches out out of Des and claiming to routinely win such games. Maybe you should track down that player...

19. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

Another similar variation would be playing the way I used to before finding this site - Communism with very little or no trade. Only governments allowed are monarchy and communism on a large map, I managed to beat Emperor level once, but never beat Deity.

20. Terrapin

Terrapin Prince

When you say no trade, do you use 'vans for wonder building?

If someone wants a challenge, there is a biggy: no using 'vans/frieght for wonder building, ever. That means any city building a wonder is in it for the long haul. All but impossible to beat the ai to any early wonder it wants at Deity.