1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Embargo! A Restricted Trade Succession Game

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by Prof. Garfield, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

Terrapin, if you are interested in playing, you might want to consider buying a USB memory stick. They've become rather inexpensive (at least in North America) and if the place you use the internet allows uploading and downloading to private devices, you could get and post saves that way.

2. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Deity Civ2 GOTM Staff Retired Moderator

I see that Charlie likes to do a communism game first and Pr. Garfield a depotism game...perhaps to grow into it it's better to do a communism game first and after that a depotism game (it will be harder to do)..

@Pr. Garfield Are you ok with it that we play the communism game first....
    @Charlie did you used the caravans for fast wonder building or not???

3. Prof. Garfield

I don't really care that much what kind of game we do.

4. Magic_gorter

Ok then I wait at Charlie's respond and make a new topic for a new succesion game....

5. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

I did use vans for Wonders. I don't really mind what sort of game we play, but I agree despotism would be a lot harder, we should probably go for a spaceship win as conquest with crusaders is probably still possible at deity level.

One thing to remember is, a lot of the tactics we currently use would not be very useful without trade, you have to entirely rethink and recalculate using settlers for city growth, I almost had to relearn the game when I started using trade and democracy when I joined here.

The map and starting location will make quite a difference, the only problems here is you don't know if it's a good position or not until it's too late.

6. Prof. Garfield

The despotism game I played had as a condition that at least 4 opponents must still be in play when Future Tech is discovered, then conquest must be achieved. We actually got to future tech, but the game then died out. As a matter of fact, that was the only succession game I played where I evaluated a set of turns to have a net negative effect; the loss of cities gave an enemy military techs.

If we decide to play completely without caravans, I doubt we should restrict our government as well.

If we decide to play a despotism game, we will have to decide what restrictions to put on conquest and whether to allow caravan re-homing.

7. Magic_gorter

Ok next weekend I will (or somebody of us) start a new thread to announce the new succession game. Then wait a few days before starting to give others the change to join.

Conquest with crusaders is easy at deity.....with only warriors it is a lot harder but still possible. I played a while ago with Peaster a few games where we played some only warrior conquest games......and the last was Deity. Peaster won the game and I never finished it but had enough units to do the job.

8. Prof. Garfield

Does this mean we are agreed on the despotism game?

9. Magic_gorter

Sorry I was not totally clear with my last post. If you don't mind Pr. Garfield I like to do the communism game first and then the depotism game. Last game was more or less a conquest game so I like to do a spaceship game first.

10. Prof. Garfield

No problem.

So is this basically a game of no republic/democracy and no caravans for trade purposes? Or no caravans at all?

It will probably be best for someone just to start a thread and anounce a set of rules to play by. I'll leave it to either of you to do.

11. Magic_gorter

Charlie knows the rules the best. It was his idea. So it;s probably best to let him start the thread and anounce the rules...

Caravans for wonders were allowed if I understand right.

12. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

Ok I'll start a new thread later in the week.

13. Terrapin

Terrapin Prince

A good thought. I use my work computer to follow these boards. I'll look into the memory stick and jump into the game if I can make that work.

14. Prof. Garfield

You know, if we really want a challenge, we could set all city production to "auto" and let the computer decide what we produce. Perhaps a thought for a later game (we've already agreed on the communism game)... it would certainly cut down the human advantage.