1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Embassy Cavaleiros-discussion

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by HUSch, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

It's good. Send it.

2. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

They have not yet completed writing - there is no option for Open Borders.

3. topas

topas Prince

Then just send our tech list and the info that we'll have hunting in 2.

Propose that one team goes for alpha directly, while the other researches s.th. else...
    alpha against IW+sailing or monarchy could work...

Maybe they were going for wriing to get CoL of the Oracle?

If they are interested in a research cooperation, they will probably send us their tech list and research project.

4. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

chatting with Oystein and Methos now....

I'll clean up the letter a little while I'm chatting.

5. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Greetings!

Too bad about SANCTA: it just goes to show - you can't trust a ninja

In order to speed negotiations, and figure out how to get back even with SANCTA, here is a list of the techs we have:
    Fishing, Wheel, Pottery, Agriculture, Mysticism, Polytheism, Mining, BronzeWorking. We'll have Hunting in 2 turns.

Rough idea for the tech sharing arragement: One team goes straight for the alphabet while the other team goes for other techs -

UPDATE:
    chat went very well. They will be sending us a letter shortly, detailing a proposal for a 3 team alliance. I'll post it as soon as we receive it. For now, though, the chat:
    Spoiler :
    0:59 AM
    Øystein: You've been invited to this chat room!

hi
    11:00 AM
    me: I'm on hold w. customer service, so I may have to pause here and there... I suspect they took MC, it's the best option, right?
    11:01 AM
    Øystein: not sure they have pottery and MC does less than monarchy...

dustem: ah, there you are

I could hear the sounds, but couldn't find the window

me: Have you met them?

dustem: No, we have not
    11:02 AM
    have you?

me: No. We have been guessing as to their progress, nothing firm. The other option was CoL.

dustem: couldn't be col, as no new religion
    11:03 AM
    me: Good point. Didn't think of that :p
    11:04 AM
    cleaning up the tech letter as we speak...
    11:06 AM
    dustem: If I may ask, where was that barbarian warrior that you fought? We've come across a wounded warrior and wondered if it was from facing your team.

Øystein: you could just tell us the contents here?

dustem: the wounded barb is currently sw of our territory along the shore
    11:07 AM
    me: Warrior: not sure if I know, but I don't think it's the same one if he's SW of you.

Øystein: along the northern shore or southern shore?

me: Techs we have:Fishing, Wheel, Pottery, Agriculture, Mysticism, Polytheism, Mining, BronzeWorking. We'll have Hunting in 2 turns.
    11:08 AM
    dustem: Could you please confirm where you lost your unit to the barb?
    11:10 AM
    me: How about a trade of info: I'll tell you where we lost the warrior and some of the lay of the land, you'll tell us some of the lay of the land around where you have explored?

dustem: that could work
    11:11 AM
    me: "that could work".... you talking about techs, or trade of geographic info?

dustem: sorry, we were discussing another issue of great importance to bring up to you
    11:12 AM
    Peter, our team will be sending you a letter shortly detailing an alliance that we hope your team is willing to agree too

me: I only have a couple more minutes..

Øystein: :(

dustem: For now, I will merely state that it is a three team alliance that consist of all of us working together on tech research
    11:14 AM
    me: I'll be back later - I'll post this chat, and wait for your letter before going further. I can say that we are certainly open to a 3 team alliance.

dustem: That is excellent news. Looking forward to your return

6. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Now we 've made enough good will. Our techs are no secret but we should get at least a retour bonus.
    The damage at Ari is at the right time for them, because I think there is another team. We 'll know in 3-5 turns.
    From a geostrategic point is Cav our neighbour/enemy.

7. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I'm not sure I understand your thinking here. Do you mean that you think there is another team's warrior close by Ari, and if we wait a turn or so we will meet them?

8. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

...chatting again... Triple Alliance stuff. They have indeed met someone else, though I'm not sure I understand it. Will post when the chat is over.

9. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

btw - in this chat 'Dustem' is Methos. Oyzar is here for a little while, and then leaves
    Here it is!! I can't wait to see the letter :drool:

10. topas

topas Prince

Sound great.

Actually, I was really hoping that we could go for sailing and IW rather soon :)
    (Sailing could give us good chances for early TR with other teams and we definately need IW to speed up our economy. (chop jungle, dias+cottages;))

Things that come to my mind:
    - who is the 3rd team ... they will tell us soon, but will be interesting to know
    - it will be important, that we get contact with that 3rd team, so that not all the communication, trades,... have to go through Cav's hands...
    - I think it's important that Ana clears the way to the SW. (west for potential passage (want the floods+cow-site) and south for coastal trade route (or through lake?)) (need to talk to Cav about that rather soon.

11. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Topas - did you get my PM??

Yes, the next 'big chat' that happens I want to find out more about the lay of the land near them. I doubt there will be passes through the mountains between us, but we must investigate to be certain.

Did you catch that the third team doesn't know SANCTA? This leads me to believe that SANCTA and the last team have already met, or are just about to. I also have a feeling that Cavaleiros met the third team shortly before meeting us. Perhaps I need to ask where and how they met?... maybe that's why they are so keen on knowing about the injured warrior to their SW :mischief:

12. topas

topas Prince

peter
    PM received. ... and done ;)

How do they know about an injured warrior SW of them?
    We lost Pyt there, but haven't lost any other unit...

(concering SAN I noticed ;))

13. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

They were asking about an injured barbarian warrior - sorry if I wasn't clear :)

It's in the chat just before the most recent one.

14. topas

topas Prince

... hmm, if they saw that barb just 3-4 turns ago via WB or galley, then it might be the one that killed Pyt. (don't remember exactly if it was barb-warrior or an animal...)

15. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

It was a warrior.

16. Unionfield

Unionfield Warlord

Am I the only one that thinks we shouldn't be taking such an outrightly conciliatory tone, at this point? I just feel like we risk falling further behind by being boxed in.

17. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

How are we being boxed in?

All we're talking about is a peace treaty and a tech trading alliance to prevent us from falling further behind. In terms of settlement, we have plenty of room for now.

If Os Cavaleiros were settling the floodplains to our northeast, that would be an entirely different matter.

18. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

I don't think they 'll found a city there (through the gap) before CoL. It's a long way and high cost.

19. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

A while back, one of the teams took a very long turn that was out of character. At the time I thought maybe it was because they met someone. I don't remember which one it was.

Generally, we want a 3 team alliance as long as we're not the ones nominated to be 3rd if the alliance wins or 5th if it loses. :rolleyes:

I like the updated note (suggesting that one goes alpha and the other doesn't) a lot better than the 1st one which implied we'd prefer not to go alpha. Any agreement needs to include trading alpha so that both have it. We can't afford to let them get alpha and we don't, since we are very likely to find another team in the far east if Ari survives long enough.

Many MP alliances include language on brokering. If we know more teams we're better off without brokering language, so we don't need to break a treaty to play it both ways. If they know more teams or will have more tech then we do want a brokering clause.

Many MP games also end up with gold for tech or military for tech deals. Or in BTS, espionage for tech may even work. Do we want to consider any of these esoteric diplomatic forms?

Should we aim for an open trade method, where we're both "all in" and giving the other every tech we get automatically? That kind of alliance can be very powerful when both teams trust the other.

20. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

My impression from the chats is that they are going to propose a beaker-for-beaker approach, although we should come out ahead - at least on these initial trades. My hunch is that the next team we meet will turn out to be the team Cav met shortly before us (if I'm even right about that to start ;))

I've never contemplated Espionage for tech - exactly how does that work?.. one civ spending EP against a another civ, passing the info on to a third civ?