Emp. Players: Let's Try Deity!

Lkysam

Warlord
Too long have we slaved away on demi-god and emperor! Too long have we been kept from the promised land of a deity victory by the cheating AI and :spear: ! It's time to put an end to our suffering and achieve a Deity Win! (Or at least, let's give it a good shot ;) )

This game will be played with [c3c] updated to the latest patch. You have 24 hours to claim it and 48 to play. The first rotation will be 20 turns and piece and 10 turns a piece from then on. We can lower that to 5 in the Industrial age if we find it necessary at that point.

I'm looking for a team of at least three people who are comfortable on emperor to attempt a win on Deity. I am open to suggestions on rules, but I want to make the game "fair". That means no archipelago, no choosing AI civs and we cannot be a civ with an uber UU that will win the game on it's own (so no Iroquois). I think that we should go with continents %70 water and 2'nd tier civ. We don't have to take the first start we get, but we also won't reroll until we get a 3 cow start with a luxury. All the other standard no exploit rules apply.

We can take this slowly, especially at the start. With a lot of discussion and planning we can win our spurs and be better Civers at the same time! So start signing up and we can decide on the settings and roll a map!

PS: This is going to be my first SG in years, so be patient with me :lol:

Edit: Spelling :wallbash:

I have played some limited games over the past eight months. If this one goes sign me up.

Welcome aboard all! :woohoo:

How many players are you looking for? I'd play if it were a large number or if I had 72 to play (Some days I have no time, and others I have plenty).

I think Ottomans/China/Korea would be good 2nd teir civs.

I'm looking for at least four, and if you play we'll have four. We could let a fifth in but I suggest that we decide what civ to play, roll some starts and begin to move through the rotation and if a fifth person shows up they can join in. Of course 72 hours is fine with me, the important thing is that we are willing to stick it through to the end and not have long delays between turns.

Once we decide on a civ we I can roll some starts and we can begin. I like your suggestions, but I also think that India has some very good potential. I recently played a game as India and it was fairly vanilla, but the War Elephants can give a boost in the early middle ages which is when you usually begin to fall behind on Deity. That will give us a good GA at the perfect time, and they also require no resources so we don't get really unlucky and have no iron or something. Furthermore their traits are decent without giving a noticeable, game changing boost that one could grow reliant on (such as seafaring, agricultural or expansionist). Just weigh in with your opinions.

So far on the roster we have (in order of sign up):

Lkysam
Empiremaker
Sir Bugsy
Vind2
nerovats

It's late right now, but just check back in and we can hopefully start within a couple of days.

I'd like to join as well. Haven't played in a long time and am looking foreward to playing again. Used to be able to win on emperor with my eyes closed but will be a bit rusty. Any civ will do for me. They all have their strong points.

lurker's comment: Good luck all. :)

I've got to learn (at least watch) how the experts do it. :thumbsup:

As for rolls I am a big fan of taking the first thing the computer gives you. It makes it more challenging.

I also don't care about the civ. I have found that each has there own unique flavor, benefits and challenges.

I've been looking at other SG's because I haven't done this in a while. Is it usual to have everyone play the first 20 turns and then choose the one we like best to stick with? If not, who wants to start off the game for us? I am terrible at the very early game so one of you can do it ;)

It's not how I used to play, usually the topic starter sets it off. Sounds a bit like a cheat to all play the first 20, as more of the terrain will be known.

Do we want barbs? Or just random. I like everything random, just normal size world.

The SG lead sets a batting order and we play. First player plays 20, everyone else plays ten. I don't go for this pick the best start stuff. If the leader has any spoiler information they usually play last. when I have been the lead, I have usually tried to set up the batting order so that lesser experienced players have experienced players on either side of them.

Actually, I think it is: smaller the world, faster the tech pace.

Let's answer some questions. Being Honest is in your favor.

Can you consistantly beat emperor?
Have you ever played above emperor?
What difficulty, did you win?
Do you use advanced game strats? (MMing etc)
Have played an emperor game recently?

Vind2 said:
Can you consistantly beat emperor?
Have you ever played above emperor?
What difficulty, did you win?
Do you use advanced game strats? (MMing etc)
Have played an emperor game recently?
I used to beat emperor all the time, I haven't played a solo game in quite a while. I have spent much of this year either preparing for a recording, doing a recording or working on the post production of a recording.

I have won at SID, although only twice, played and lost plenty.

Yes, I use all accepted tactics and strategies. Please know that I become very grumpy when people start using exploits. See the LK or RBCiv rules sets.

What is the purpose of this line of questioning?

Lkysam said:
Is it usual to have everyone play the first 20 turns and then choose the one we like best to stick with?

lurker's comment: I don't think that's the usual practice. The two games that I'm aware of in which all players played the same round and them compared starts were both Training Day Games, rather than standard SGs.

Good luck!

I hate barbs, but I agree that we should probably put them in to be fair. I don't really like the idea of just taking the very first start we get, I only do that when I'm playing on emperor or lower (not on demi-god), because you often start in a vast expanse of tundra or jungle. I think that it is reasonable to choose a decent start since this is a game where we know that we are going to have trouble on this difficulty any way.

As for the world, I think standard size is good, large maps tend to be harder and need a much larger time commitment. Continents are also good. I usually do old worlds but it doesen't matter to me what age we choose. Barbs are a tough question, more barbs tend to make it much harder for the human player because the AI get so many starting units. On the other hand, if we can win with barbs then we can definitely win without barbs.

Have we decided on Ottomans as a civ? I've never tried them before but we can give it a shot! Anybody else have a preference?

As to Vind2's questions, I assume that he is asking them so that we can space the experienced players out. For me: I can win consistently on demi-god provided I get a decent start. I have played on deity, but I didn't win. I don't know what you mean by advanced tactics, I MM workers, I know the basics of settler factories, I know to use CXXC for my core and how to science farm outside of it. What tactics are you referring too?

As for our game plan, I think continents would be a huge benefit. If we discover the other continent first we can essentially double our tech pace by buying from the civs on our continent (which will probably be more advanced) We should probably think about going to war with knights at the very latest. Hopefully when cav arrive we can clear out our continent and be fairly sure of victory. I assume that we should plan on going 0% science at least for a while.

Looks like you've already got five, but if you want a sixth, I'd be willing to join; I'll just lurk otherwise. To answer Vind2's questions: I can consistently beat emperor given a decent start. I have played at demigod and deity, but never won the latter. Four DG victories so far--one with the Iros, two with the Celts (including one HOF entry), and one with the French. Barbs off in every case. As for advanced strats, I micromanage cities and workers to an extent; I only use the governor in captured cities still in resistance (though I used it in all cities except for settler pumps not too long ago, making sure to check for clowns every turn), and I almost never automate workers (shift-d to clean up pollution is the only automation I ever use). My overall strategy is pretty basic, though: expand peacefully as far as possible, then build lots of units and start killing things until I don't need to kill things anymore, pausing to build infrastructure if necessary. My most recent emperor game was America on a standard pangaea map--domination victory in 810AD; that was a couple of weeks ago.

Top Bottom