1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Emperor and up is plain boring

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Mahi, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Mahi

Mahi Chieftain

I don't know exactly what it is on the difficulty from Emperor and up in CiV 6 but it's just not fun to play on those difficulties. Don't get me wrong I can beat the game on Emperor so it's not a complaint about the AI "cheating" but rather that most of the starts on Emperor and up become very repetitive.
    98% of all games on this difficulty has the exact same starts for the first 50 turns.

You start, you meet the AI neighbour, he/she attacks you.
    You start, you meet the AI, you scare him/her off with some archers, you get around 4 cities during peace.

Only way to expand from here on is war... always damn war. Considering war is probably the most boring aspect of the game due to the AI's incompetence in warfare it just end up feeling like the same game most of the time.
    The only fun you can get out of CiV 6 is to try to do obscure maps or play "unorthodixly" to fresh up the game so the game forces the AI to do something else. I haven't played much above Emperor but what I've been reading it's just more of the same, once you take over your neighbour city.

Is it just me or CiV 6 just too much focused on the need of war early game? I don't recall the same issue was that obvious in the earlier games of CiV.

Was CiV 6 intended to be more war focus than earlier versions? Also, does this somewhat changes in GS? I'm considering buying it but I'm afraid the startup scenario is exactly the same and gives me no reason to buy it then.

Tannhauser likes this.
  2. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

If you don't enjoy Emperor and above, then stick to below Emperor. Personally I find anything below Emperor way too easy, but I don't create posts complaining that it is too boring to play below Emperor.

3. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

I think they actually intended less war, but they somehow ended up with game mechanics that promote it.

Seriously, the corruption mechanic in the first games was probably best.

Socrates99 likes this.
  4. Mahi

Mahi Chieftain

Yes it's easier.. and too easy to my taste as well but the point is that the game feels more like it should be played on difficulties below emperor than above since anything above emperor basically requires you to take out your neighbour AI before the game can start. It's just stupid and boring and no starts are rarely different from the others, which is my biggest grudge. Each new game is supposed to feel like "a new game", where you don't know what is going to happen - that's what I always loved about CiV games but in CiV 6 you always know what is going down the first 50-100 turns.

Tannhauser likes this.
  5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

The other option is TSL maps and choose your opponents. Not a great alternative, but it's there.

6. Bradypus

Bradypus Chieftain

I agree that the higher the difficulty becomes, the fewer ways of playing are viable. I can't remember the last time I built an early wonder and all my starts are Unit, Settler, Unit or Unit, Unit, Settler. I hope the future holds smarter AI and fewer (starting) bonuses.

Tannhauser likes this.
  7. Mahi

Mahi Chieftain

Exactly also the start builds get very repetitive. I know there are som variation to the order of builds from player to player but the start strategy is basically the same for everyone in early game. Only major game changer is early game is if you stumple upon a natural wonder, which gives you a reason to go for a religion, but that's about it.

8. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Chieftain

People keep saying this, but I have never lost a game on Deity and I never go to war early in the game. In other words, people are just stuck in their habits and/or bad at the game, and think the way they have been playing is the only way. In my current Deity game with 12 players on a huge map I've taken exactly one city over the course of the entire game. I'm in the Atomic Era and I'm in the lead in every category and can easily pick and choose from all the victory conditions at this point. The war AI is so terrible that I pretty much just avoid war, which is stupidly easy thanks to endless friendship agreements(which I hope is an exploit that gets patched out).

Just go out of your comfort zone and you'll find that myriads of different ways to play are viable as long as you take your time and use your brain. Granted, my games each take 100+ hours on Standard. But that's what Civ is all about.

mentos15, bbbt, Infixo and 2 others like this.
  9. Mahi

Mahi Chieftain

I guess that is (to some extend) because you play on a huge map with a bit better space. I do tend to play on larger maps to escape this issue and it does help from time to time. It's a bit of a different ball game, when you play on standard map on continents.

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

My issue through the whole series is that to play the higher difficulties it typically means that you can't use a bunch of the wonders, mechanics, buildings, things like that . . . you know, the things that make the game fun. Yeah it's "harder" but very limiting. There are certain things you have to do. I do think this iteration is a bit better at this.

Mahi, krokobone, Abaxial and 3 others like this.
  11. universecreep

universecreep Chieftain

I agree. Great advice!

12. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

I've won on Diety, even Science and Culture victories, but I don't find it fun at all. I used to play Emperor, but now lately I've gone down to King, because I mostly just play to relax and have fun. I like a little bit of a challenge, but I don't want too much stress when I play. Like @SammyKhalifa says, I want to build my favorite Wonders and found a religion with beliefs I like, and so on.

13. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Yeah, you lose the sandbox feel when you move up. Back in V I used to try to do Honor starts just to do something different. Felt like tying one arm behind my back. In IV the beginning was just a land grab and defend until you could get to a position to build infrastructure, same with III.

I think VI did try to give you multiple paths as far as first district choices and government buildings but eventually you will spam campuses, CD/harbors for trade, and theater/holy w choral for culture. Thankfully the government choices seem a little more open.

14. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

I always play on Emperor and last few games I just try to avoid war in general and just try to expand quickly amd then start building. While I don't hate the war game, you know that if you conquer your continent/landmass early on that you can then win in whatever way you want. Also don't try to build the card wonders anymore, they make everything too easy as well.

Socrates99 likes this.
  15. Mahi

Mahi Chieftain

Exactly. In my opinion I think CiV IV was the best balanced game throughout the different difficulties. Mid-High difficulties was a challenge but if you went for it you could usually get your favourite wonders. Deity in CiV IV was at it should be - near to impossible unless you knew the game mechanics very well and could exploit it.

Jkchart likes this.
  16. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Absolutely not.

I don't find Civ6 focused on war, not at all. Playing peacefully is a legit way to go. And it is even more challenging on higher difficulties because AI settles damn fast.

Jkchart and Kibikus like this.
  17. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

You can take less opponents & a larger map.

The major point is that:

(1) pillaging makes wars extremely advantageous
    (2) there is less interaction possible than in previous civs.

You can't trade tech with other civs - that was a huge incentive for peaceful cooperation. Another incentive was passive trade that made it necessary to maintain at least a certain good standing in the world.

18. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

I sort of agree. The more initial settlers get, the more your strats are pushed towards boring warmongering.

19. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I've never found high difficulties to be fun in any civ games because it just becomes centered around the AI trying to cheese you with its abnormally huge army at the start. You're not really missing anything, though in reality the AI is so stupid you don't need to war it. It just makes it easier and faster. I only do Emperor here because the AI literally can't win below it unlike in previous games. Actually it's pretty doubtful below deity, but whatever.

Anyhow, you're not really missing anything.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    acluewithout likes this.
  20. Haggbart

Haggbart Chieftain

Island plates map helped a lot for me. Also pushing the map size up to large while keeping 8 players etc.

Arent11 likes this.
  21. Bradypus

Bradypus Chieftain

I find that on Deity, I can only play peacefully with a strong defense. The AI will always attack me if my military score is low. It seems AI personalities go straight out the window if they see an opportunity to destroy you. That makes sense from a game perspective in which everyone is trying their hardest to win. But then what's the point of leader personalities?