1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] Emperor Continents Help

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by southquote, Jul 11, 2018.

1. southquote

southquote Chieftain

I have been playing Civ4 for a few months, working my way up the difficulties. I get a lot of good tips from these forums. I recently moved up to Emperor and won a number of times on pangea. I have also won on Continents, but I find these maps much harder, and none of my wins have been military variety. I have actually done very little successful military action across continents. Partially, this is because I am probably breaking out too slowly (for example, generally winning Pangea games in the 1800s or 1900s) and maybe laziness/risk aversion (why deal with overseas conquest when I can build a spaceship).

I figured I would start by posting a current game, which is already at 1420. This is probably too late to correct my earlier mistakes, but I think this one is still winnable militarily. Any help appreciated.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

2. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

Congrats on working your way up levels so fast! This game looks winnable.

If you want to get better advice from this forum, you should post saves from earlier on.

You don't lead in number of cities, which seems like a problem. ....The ottomans have a bunch of land that you should have taken a while ago - they have catapults hanging out, so I would build up a Cannon-based army ASAP, and take out the Ottomans ASAP. Take a few cities then make them capitulate maybe. Don't be afraid to whip. Your cannons should roll through the Ottomans easily.

The Theater in Berlin is pretty pointless - you'd be better off building a unit. Didn't look at other cities, but I suspect like most of us moving up in levels, that you are spending too much time putting hammers into slow-building buildings that do little for the econ - and too little time putting hammers / whipping into units to conquer rivals. (Like Courthouses, Theaters, et cetera.... gotta whip those building when NECESSARY, like Granaries, otherwise, whip out units and take over the world.).

Hope that helps!

- SD

3. Swordnboard

Swordnboard Chieftain

Wang looks to be about to declare war on you, with a quite large stack no less. I would bribe Zara into war with him, even though Zara asks for quite a high price.

Meanwhile, I recommend revolting into nationhood. Each of your cities can draft about 2 riflemen, which will help to bolster your army while you build & whip cannons. Then you can join in the war on wang yourself.

General commentary:
    Build more workers! You have too many unimproved tiles. At your level, 1 - 1.5 workers per city is recommended.
    You have small "garrison" stacks of muskets and longbows in various cities. These units would be better pooled up as an offensive stack that can actually do something.
    Expansion looks a little weak. Maybe could have settled more aggressively, or planned a war sometime before rifling/steel.

But, yeah, as you mention, you'll probably get more useful advice out of a game that starts from the beginning.

4. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Normally they suggest you have control of your continent by 1300ad.
    Agree on unimproved/land/resources.
    Agree on one stack.
    Koreans are a small threat but if you whip/draft rifles probably noit a big one. Rifles will be stronger than any unit the Koreans can field. Cannons too.

I think rifles should be enough to capture/vassal a few Ai here. Starting from 11 cities at 1460ad is late. On plus side that is 11+ rifles you can draft quickly.

5. southquote

southquote Chieftain

Thank you all for the feedback. I realize I should try a second thread in which I post from Turn 1, which I will do now. I did get into a war with Wang, which is a bit of a slog, but I am winning it. I have a good shot at Space (tech lead plus Mining Inc right now). Possibly, I can go Domination, but I am a bit late in starting my wars. I take the point that I should really post a thread from the start to get help that will improve my game.