Emperor continents space victory - my hardest win yet

@Rusten
From where you are,
Spoiler :

Would you rather wait for Shaka to settle the jungle and take him out later (will take a while on Emperor), while teching to Astro, or take him out relatively early and settle the jungle yourself?

With factories, power plants and +10% from communism, a (non riverside) grassland workshop building research gives you +8.4:science:/turn. A town boosted by Printing Press would need library+uni+observatory to compete with that. Chances are that by the time you have Communism and build your factories, there won't be many cities with all those research buildings and a bunch of developed towns. If a city has only a library, any towns should be bulldozed without remorse. If you have an Academy or even Oxford, then you should of course leave the cottages.

A workshop takes 6 worker turns. To prebuild them, group 5 workers together and every turn you move them->build workshop->cancel. This way the micro isn't that bad.

Here's a random city in a random lategame save from your .zip:
Spoiler :

Here is the same city after I worldbuildered it 4 pop smaller and changed some improvements around it:
Spoiler :

In the later image you will notice there is no unhappiness, it is far from unhealthy, it makes 11.60 more :science:/turn and 27 more :hammers:/turn. And this is without Caste System. With Caste the difference would be much greater. So, I ask you: why is it so important for you to have your cities at pop 20 or above? (And I didn't even notice you weren't working the oasis... Should definitely be worked in that situation.)

How on earth did that city produce 11.60 more beakers/turn right off the bat? I see no discernible changes in science buildings or commerce...

@Rusten
From where you are,
Spoiler :

Would you rather wait for Shaka to settle the jungle and take him out later (will take a while on Emperor), while teching to Astro, or take him out relatively early and settle the jungle yourself?
Spoiler :
Teching to Astronomy is really important with the GLH. Trade routes will be massive.
Priorities now (in order):
-Scouting Shaka.
-Alphabet to build research as I have many cities which will soon have idle hammers.
-Literature for GL+NE (and some fail gold perhaps). Maybe chop the Parthenon in Susa.
-Calendar for MoM (chop somewhere, most likely London)+silk.
-Monarchy for happiness.
-CoL+philosophy bulb for religion+pacifism (then bulb astro).
-Music for artist 12T-GA (adopt Tao+CS+CoL+Bureau+pacifism+monarchy).

Only after this (perhaps before CoL) will I consider diverting my attention towards taking him out.
Granted, these goals will not take very long to accomplish with such a good start, so it could still be pre-gunpowder.

I got somewhat lucky in my battles vs England so I have many leftover immortals. If I find a possibility to choke Shaka with them I might.

Either way I won't wipe him out short term. Key economic techs coming up. Better to let him mature cities for me for now.

Maybe there are some barbarian cities out there that I can take out with immortals. Would not surprise me given the elimination of England.

Last edited:
How on earth did that city produce 11.60 more beakers/turn right off the bat? I see no discernible changes in science buildings or commerce...
Changed your mines to windmills (switch 1:hammers: for 1:food:3:commerce:).

Which now reminded me, it seems you hadn't even railroaded your mines. That should be your first priority when you reach railroad. Railroad gives +1:hammers: to all your mines. Most hills should be windmills by then, but whatever hills you are keeping as mines need that extra hammer.

Which now reminded me, it seems you hadn't even railroaded your mines. That should be your first priority when you reach railroad. Railroad gives +1:hammers: to all your mines. Most hills should be windmills by then, but whatever hills you are keeping as mines need that extra hammer.

WHAT.

Huh, today I learned. Yesterday it was the "power automatically equals 2 unhealthy no matter what." What's next, Tokugawa is actually the best leader because drill + combat + city garrison gunpowder units get a super secret 100% combat bonus for being well-rounded :crazyeye:? Actually...that might bring Toku to not-trash tier for once.

@Rusten. I'm not surprised by your progress coz you're much better than me. However if Liz had iron in BFC a late immortal rush could have been risky if Liz got IW and built a couple of spears in London.

@Rusten. I'm not surprised by your progress coz you're much better than me. However if Liz had iron in BFC a late immortal rush could have been risky if Liz got IW and built a couple of spears in London.

She did for me. I saw a single sword in her cap with a scouting immortal and was like "nope." And thus my "rush" was delayed by 50 turns.

@pigswill
Iron in BFC is not a problem. Just pillage it. Even without IW you can still see where it is thanks to tile yields. Well worth the risk to wait IMO.
Liz can be used as a worker farm and kept an eye on with immortals/warriors anyway. I DoW on her 3 times.

I'm not gonna play this map but tried a bit from the beginning. Liz is indeed the perfect worker farm. There's a resource in her BFC that forces her to go around the bay right next to your lands. As the AI always uses "road to" while moving to an improvable resource, she'll be sending workers right next to your borders. I got 2 very early, then cease fire, then 2 more not long after that. She'll keep sending workers that way forever, as long as your borders don't block the passage.

churchil´s red coat are the best drafts imo

Toku Rifle's start with 3 free promos plus ability to take pinch if you want to for same effect. Basically like a second UU. Plus, Redcoat bonus does not carry forward, i.e., not a free promo. I've always thought of them as rather overrated.

Toku Rifle's start with 3 free promos plus ability to take pinch if you want to for same effect. Basically like a second UU. Plus, Redcoat bonus does not carry forward, i.e., not a free promo. I've always thought of them as rather overrated.
yes, but we are talking about raw drafts, also you can promo red coats to pinch to get 50% bonus thnx to curchils trait;
im a monarch player btw so dont mind me, im trying to learn how to blink and breath at the same time :crazyeye:

1765. Domination.
Spoiler :
Also conquest but after capping last AI land% went over domination limit. Pretty straightforwards, rifles/artillery in 2-3 stacks and chew through each AI in turn. Couple of airships for recon. Spent loads of cash upgrading units. I prefer rifle/artillery to infantry/cannon because don't have to worry about flank attacks from cuir/cav.

Attachments

• Terence Fletcher AD-1765.CivBeyondSwordSave
    364.6 KB · Views: 156
Top Bottom