Emperor Cookbook Shaka

Gumbolt

Phoenix Rising
The Emperor Cookbook is a concurrent succession game series to help readers learn how to play and win at Emperor level in Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword, v3.19

Some of you may be familiar with the previous Monarchist Cookbook games. We decided to raise the level of difficulty to Emperor. Because we are always playing from the best save, this difficulty should be approximately equal to Monarch/Emperor level difficulty.

Our Emperor Cookbook game features Shaka. We will be playing at Emperor difficulty, Epic, with a standard sized map. Huts and events are disabled for this game, as they tend to make things more random.

Here is the info on our leader, his unique unit and building as well as our starting position and settings:

Spoiler :

Our Fearless Leader:

UU:

UB:

Starting position:

Settings :

========

Round one lasts from 4000 BC - 1500 BC.

Please play this Round and submit your Report into this thread by next Sunday if possible. (This time frame may change once game is up and running!)

IMPORTANT : Please use spoilers if you want to discuss opening strategies prior to starting the round.

At the end of your Round, please remember to name your save with your name, game and Round # & game date (i.e. "EC2 Round 1 MyName BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave"). (And please don't forget to attach it to your Round report, either! ) Please also state your usual difficulty of play.

========

Roster:

YOU! - contributor, voter - our most important fixture, the readers who follow the threads and play along.

Now that we have upped the difficulty level, we will return to the 'best ball' system of selecting and playing saves. What this essentially means is that after we have completed each round, everyone will have a chance to vote on which save is in the best position. The winning save will be used for the next round.

If there is any player who is strong at Emperor+ level, it would be great to have you post your saves to show us how it's done. However, I request that any of you who realize your round was far superior remove your save from the voting. This rule is intended to ensure that the game doesn't get into a overly strong winning position after only a few rounds (because what fun is that? ).

Voting Rules:

1. You may NOT vote on your own save (but you are encouraged to state the strengths and weaknesses of your save).
2. For your vote to count as winning save you are expected to have voted for 3 other saves where possible. There is an element of fair play expected from those that vote and tactical voting is to be discouraged.
3. Only those who have posted a round may vote (those who are shadowing are always encouraged to express their opinion!)
4. Don't vote on a save that has voluntarily been removed from the running by the person who submitted it.
5. At the end of each round you can vote on 3 saves for first, second and third place. I believe that these votes should be made publicly in order to allow for as much discussion as possible. I strongly encourage you to explain why you are voting for a particular save. This is one of the best ways to learn, and that's what this game is all about! If you feel uncomfortable voting publicly, PM me with your vote.

After a couple days for voting and discussion a winner will be declared and we will move on to the next round using the winners save.

=======

A special shout out goes to Soirana who provided us with the map again!

=======

And with that, let the Game begin...

========

Intrathread links (ToC): (note, the turn sets are subject to change, this is a tentative schedule to get this first round underway, we are still trying to find the best length for each round)

Round 0: The starting save (this post)
Round 1: 4000 BC - 1500 BC- Playing
Round 2: 1500 BC - 400 AD- upcoming
Round 3: 400 AD - 1100 AD- upcoming
Round 4: 1100 AD - 1500 AD - upcoming
Round 5: 1500 AD - 1700 AD - upcoming
Round 6: 1700 AD - 1820 AD - upcoming
Round 7: 1820 AD - 2050 AD - upcoming

Attachments

• Shaka cookbook BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35.7 KB · Views: 162
When you post your saves can you state your normal difficulty level you play so people can vote accordingly. I want to encourage more people to play at higher levels. :)

If theres any issue with the saves or I have missed something please let me know asap.

As for Monty we can always play him next so dont panic!

I used to play the Monarchist Cookbook once upon a time so I will give this a try. Never won at Emperor though!

I used to play the Monarchist Cookbook once upon a time so I will give this a try. Never won at Emperor though!

Always good to have new players at this level. Should be a fun game cant wait to see what Soirana has done with map.

To 1500 BC

Spoiler :

Well, looks like Soirana had some fun with the starting position again.
I didn't want to play the best possible way but the most interesting way I could find!
This meant I moved the capital as I didn't like all those brown tiles.

Unfortunately I fell for the trap (built on top of the copper while I knew there were Crabs) thinking a rush might be pulled off. (Which i still think can btw).

Economy is in the dumps for a few turns while the cottages go up.

Struggling Immortal player signing in ...

Doesnt look like a great start.

Wow kossin, that was fast ... So tempted to have a sneek peak (but will not).

This looks like a good thing to try. Im on prince now so I expect to get wupped but good but Im willing to give it a shot! After all a little pain never hurt anyone.

Signing :)

Let's get this Zulu thing rollin ;)
Btw, looks like a more temperate than african start to me :crazyeye:

Round 1 - 1500 BC (so-so Emperor player)

Spoiler :

Decide to settle 1E on the wines. Had moved scout to the forested plains hill and saw some green and wanted to pick it up. With two food resources already I didn't expect to find the cows to the west. Decided to stick with it though - settling on wines provided an extra commerce to speed up early tech, plus I could work the 3:hammers: hill to take advantage of the expansive trait (took 5 turns off worker build).

Tech went AH>Mining>BW>Fishing>Sailing>Masonry>Wheel (1 turn left)

Builds were Worker>war>war>war>settler...I forget what after that

I quickly realized we're on a pennisula, with protective Giggles on the other end. Quickly confirm no horsies and copper in a bad place for a rush. Decide to head for GLH since 5 of 6 planned cities will be coastal.

Current stats:
3 cities with 4th settler in 4 turns
3 Workers
GLH in 2 turns
Penninsula fogbusted (need to improve to prevent galleys though)

I see two good cottage cities (cow-corn-wine and western corn). Tech situation:

I stupidly forgot to turn research back on for a while, but we have plenty to deficit research through pottery/writing, then we'll need to throw down cottages and libraries.

We also have a workboat out for scouting, except a frustrating map problem:

That really really sucks - I was trying to check out the island to the northeast - getting a city or two up there would be good for trade routes. Now I think we need to settle a city on the isthmus so gain sea access to the northeast. EDIT-Just realized my planned double crab-copper city would allow access around that.

Long term plan is to support economy with GLH while getting a military to go after Giggles.

Attachments

• EC2 Round 1 dualmaster.CivBeyondSwordSave
    118.3 KB · Views: 115
@Kossin
Spoiler :
I like your capital location MUCH better than mine - it allows better use of the terrain by other cities and has great production.

I don't much like the idea of a rush. Gilga is protective and his capital is on a hill. In your game he also founded an additional city on the isthmus, so he'll have plenty of time to stack extra archers/vultures in the capital while we walk through his territory. Perhaps it could be done, but I was thinking it would be better to wait for siege?

Edited

Just starting to play immortal level with mixed success.
I played till 1500 BC but will post later.

To 1500BC Monarch player

Spoiler :
Settled in place. started worker Ikh, settler @size 4, worker, war, chopped archer, settler, arc, worker, settler current.

tech path AH no horses, Mining, BW copper NE of capital, arch (mistake), myst, fish, TW, Pottery current.

3775BC meet Giggles to the SE.

2450BC Settled blocker city on gigles.

1975BC Settled Nobamba planned commerce city to the east.

Lands. Only see 1 happy resource. All 3 cities have Ikhanda's. Blocker and nobamba have monuments.

Explored our lands and have room for 7 cities peacefully. Wasted beakers on archery as I wanted to block giggles and not settle copper site. Which is why I don't have pottery yet. No writing either. Can only use 50% slider to break even. Thought of rushing Giggles but him being protective I decided against.

I can't get the city overview screen to show what units I'm producing.

settler in capital. wb being built in other 2 cities. Settler to copper site has 2 seafood. But was planning to use 1 to explore. Have landmass up to the NE.

5 archers
3 workers
1 warrior
1 WB on fish in blocker city.

Attachments

• Mike Shaka cookbook BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    118.5 KB · Views: 116
@kossin

Spoiler :
Nice moving settler for the coastal capital. I hardly move settler more then 1 turn. While i understasnd the city placement on copper for fast access. I think the 2 crab copper city is more efficient. I plan thats as our semi GP farm since it really on has coast and the seafood and copper to work. But I like you approach to find better capital location.

@dualmaster

Spoiler :

Like your save. Good call on GLH. We have similar city spots scouted. I moved the scout SW and saw the cows only reason I settle in place. I probably settle on wine otherwise. Like you have WB scouting already I just started building mine. Although I have WB ready to be put on fish in my Blocker city. All in all I think your in way better position then me. Nice save.

Oops, forgot that I'm still on 3.17 :sad:
Can you post the WBsave so that I can shadow ? I won't be submitting saves, still I can handle a small write-up (for what's worth)

Can't move to 3.19 as for now - I'll have to buy the game anew as I broke my game-cd prior to moving on to the new patch... :mad:

Can't move to 3.19 as for now - I'll have to buy the game anew as I broke my game-cd prior to moving on to the new patch... :mad:

Mmm... Yoiu really need CD to install patch?
Since 3.19 comes with NoCD [I believe so], i would advise installing sort of crack. Unless your feeling get hurt for having cracked game for five minutes...

Top Bottom