1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Emperor level industrial-era warfare

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Imperialistic, May 13, 2013.

1. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

It is a potential game breaker and certainly among the worst balanced, but there are two which can be worse. Vedic Aryans which is basically gameover if it hits early, and bermuda triangle that kills all units on an ocean tile.....

2. Imperialistic

Imperialistic Chieftain

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips.

I originally planned to sweep the whole continent right after rifles, but failed because when I DoW'ed on Toku, I made war plans against a weak 5-city AI with longbows, started warring with relatively small number of rifles and cannons, thinking that most will survive and anticipating having a much bigger army once Toku is finished (while my production cities continued to build/draft units throughout the war).

I guess it was a mistake to not anticipate Toku vassaling to another AI, getting gifted everything up to rifling, and bringing in double or triple the number of troops via reinforcements from the master (I have seen that before in earlier games, and should know better). Because of that, my first war took way too long and costed way too many casualties. By the time I destroyed Toku, between drafting/whipping and war weariness, my core cities were in shambles (not 2-3 pop shambles, but still). I was desperate to get back to Free Speech, as I saw my tech lead evaporating in front of my eyes.

looks like you guys would recommend going zerg rather than protoss when it comes to late game warring? As in just beat down the AI with numerical superiority, even if it techs up to higher units. I guess my problem is that my war strategy is neither here nor there - once the AI starts to breakeven or pull ahead in tech (during my drafting/whipping phase), I get uncomfortable and switch immediately back to max science and economy, in order to regain a military tech advantage - once the AI's have infantries, I dropped everything to get warplanes as quickly as I could. Also for popping the ridiculous number of pesky airships that the AI managed to build.

3. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

That's bad; you have to commit. Sometimes you'll end up facing Infantry with your cannons/rifles, but to quote TMIT (from one of his videos) "with cannons you can." Just keep building them.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I usually go zerg, sometimes I go Terran (mass nukes). Late game AI bonuses make the returns of going "protoss" questionable, since what really wins is collateral initiative + numbers anyway.

5. Skipity

Skipity Chieftain

We are actually saying get to Protoss tech (just like you did with rifles) and then switch civics to Zerg. ;)

6. civvver

civvver Deity

Short answer is you didn't build enough units. You probably were teching and neglecting production infrastructure or dow'd too early before buildup. If he didn't have fighters then your bombers should be more than sufficient but bring overwhelming numbers. Basically you can't play like on prince with a very small technologically advanced army. You need tech but balance and numbers too.

7. Imperialistic

Imperialistic Chieftain

I finished the game with a late'ish diplo victory. Looking at the end-game replay, yeah I definitely DoW'ed too early. Declared on Toku in 1650 and took me almost 150 years to capture his 5 cities (for the reasons mentioned in earlier posts). Probably would have taken less time had I built/whipped/drafted more units before going to war.

I also figured out how Roosevelt managed to put together such a gigantic horde of troops (other than the typical Emperor bonuses). The guy had been using his GG's for Military Academies! :crazyeye:

After grinding through Roosevelt's cities and his swarm of units, I invaded Ethiopia which has the next highest score other than myself. The guy has a larger empire than Roosevelt, but was a complete pushover militarily. My army basically stampeded his, after surviving the initial onslaught upon first landing on his continent.

Ended the game with approx. 150 units. Could have built more, but halfway through the last war I realized I've got enough units to win, and stopped making troops other than the garrison needed for conquered cities.

Next game I'll definitely aim for a larger army when making the first rifles/cannon war.

8. tdy99

tdy99 Prince

Usuaully most AI cities are on the coast. Just build a fleet of like 10 battleships, a carrier if you have flight, and load up about 20 or 30 tanks or marines and just sail up his coast line, using the BSs to bring down his defensive value and then attacking from sea.

The AI never catches on to this. The coastal non-border cities usually only have three or four defensive units. I have torn down the top civ with 3000 + points to virtually nothing with this tactic. Of course, it works great when an enemy is pursuing a cultural victory and you just need to raise one or two big culture cities to stop him.

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Replace "carrier" with "submarine" and "fighter" with "tactical nuke".

Taking pretty much anything out is a joke then :D :nuke: :goodjob:.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Obviously I don't use enough nukes.