emperor level

STMO

Chieftain
I prefer to play on emperor level and up and I play with my own rule to get a religion. That makes an interesting game in my opinion but it is a shame that I don't really get the time and resources to build wonders before The Forbidden City or so.
Do you recommend any wonders that should be prioritized in the early-mid game?

Do you recommend any wonders that should be prioritized in the early-mid game?
The Pyramids and Coliseum for all victory conditions. From there it does depend on a few things more than just victory type. Too many wonders stop you building anything useful, and the above are indeed useful and often two of three or so wonders in total are good enough.

Last edited:
The renewed Mausoleum of Halicarnassus for the yield buff and extra engineer charge.

The renewed Mausoleum of Halicarnassus for the yield buff and extra engineer charge.
Pass. IMO it was a navy Dom wonder that is relegated to a mid game mild buff. Not nearly as strong as the 2 above nor oracle or great library.
Forbidden palace/Big Ben give a slot that is significantly more powerful.
Mausoleum has been relegated from a strongish specific to a mild melodramatic. Built it once, never again, but then great engineers do not turn my cogs.

Kilwa Kisiwani is also a mid game priority unless on Dom or RV. Many are dependant on victory type and strategy within that victory.For example diplomatic victory Mahadobi/Potalas palace/Statue of ‘liberty’

Last edited:
I personally love the new Mausoleum...and the "Ocean Petra city" thing can be pretty awesome:
Spoiler :
Mausoleum.jpg

The Pyramids and Coliseum for all victory conditions. From there it does depend on a few things more than just victory type. Too many wonders stop you building anything useful, and the above are indeed useful and often two of three or so wonders in total are good enough.
Pyramids are awesome but very hard to get. For whatever reasons, I rarely find myself needing the amenities from Coliseum that much, in fact I normally don't even built the Entertainment Complex till much later, which also holds me off from getting Coliseum. Temple of Artemis is often quite doable if you have a camp adjacent to your capital, and will also serve you some amenities without locking you on the district.

Oracle imo. is worth a shot, it's not easy to get, but it's possible. People may laugh at this, but if you play religion (as I do), Mahabodhi Temple can be pretty awesome. The two free Apostles is a massive up-front faith equivalent, and it also sits at a point in the game where I can often find the time to build a wonder. Depending on your opponents, it may or may not be contested, so possibly make an assessment beforehand if it's worth giving it a shot (don't bother if India is in game).

I agree Mausoleum is priority, even without a coastal city with many water resources, the extra engineer charges are great. It used to be very easy to get up to and including Immortal difficulty, not sure if it's changed. Petra (doable or hard to get depending on game) and Chichen Itza (usually very hard to get) can also be amazing and are definitely worth trying to rush, given the proper terrain.

Top Bottom