1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Emperor SG

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by MrFelony, Oct 2, 2007.

1. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

I've never done a SG before, but they seem like they're a lot of fun and a good way to increase you skill level. The civs I'm thinking about are Sumeria or Dutch, but I don't really have a preference. I was thinking of playing Sumeria and going for an aggressive Rex/espionage game. I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5 slots. map would probably be continents either standard or large depending on what people want to play. I usually play tropical, but as I said before I'm open to just about anything. so who's interest :)?

I would also be willing to go down to monarch or up to immortal if there are some more experienced players seeing as how i haven't tried immortal yet.

2. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

I've also never done an SG, and I'd like to join.

I've only played through about 8 or 10 games, so don't expect good long term planning from me, but my current game is on it's way to a monarch space race victory (or I might just steamroll them with tanks/bombers if my tech edge opens up more), so I feel confident in banking on my intuition to save me yet again.

Said game is my second on BtS, so I know approximately zilch about espionage, except that it's probably related to sometimes getting to see what the other guys are researching =]

3. dl123654

dl123654 King

I would be willing to join.

As for difficultly its called "Emperor SG" so emperior sounds good.

As for civ, not the Dutch, played too many games with them.

4. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

how about Carthage or Vikings? can't complain about ragnar if you are ragnar lol

5. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

I play with random leaders, so no preference from me.

6. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

Okay so i figure if I actually get the start of a game up, more people would be interested in playing. I decided to go with Carthage, standard tropical continents. here's the start. if we could get one or two more interested i think we're good to go.

7. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

as for what to do initially, i'd say settle one NE so we could get the marble in the BFC as well as the use of the river late on for levees

8. dl123654

dl123654 King

What patch is this with, I have todays 3.13 patch

9. 50_dollar_bag

50_dollar_bag Imitation Louis Vuitton

I'd like to join. This will be my 2nd SG so I'm very new to it as well.
    And I agree about the settler 1NE might pay to move the warrior 1 NW first to see what we'd gain.
    And i'd I've got the patch too.

10. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

I pretty much always settle in place, but I agree on moving 1NE in this case to settle. The trees on the south and west borders of vision for the settle make it less likely there's anything there.

I disagree on moving the warrior 1NW. Even if there's nothing in the 3 tiles revealed by moving the warrior 1NW, I'd still move the settler 1NE this turn with the intention of settling next. I'd move the warrior 1NE this turn, and 1SE the turn after, on the off-chance that there's an extremely powerful coastal site worth moving the settler a second time for. If not, then settling 1NE is as good as it's gonna get, regardless of if there's a 4th resource on the 3 north tiles or not.

I'm not sure how it would be best to proceed from there (here comes my bad planning side). The marble makes me want masonry earlier than usual (right after BW?), as it will be a very powerful tile, at 1F 3P 4C, and also makes me want the oracle, which I usually skip. But I'm not sure how best to fit those leanings into an overall strategy.

11. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

it should be the latest patch. sorry for not getting back sooner, I went back home for the weekend and didnt have access to the internet until now. So the play order will be

1) MrFelony up
    2) dl123654
    3) Zargon
    4) 50 dollar bag

I'll be back home later tonight so i'll probably play it either tonight ro tomorrow. my thoughts are research agriculture for the corn first and just mine the pigs. I have to look at the research times, but I'm thinking something like Ag>BW>masonry>then beeline oracle.

build worker>warrior partial build/grow to size 2>settler

here's the real question. work the marble for 3production and 1 commerce or the sea tile for 3 commerce and 2 production? I'll post a save tonight when i get back. Another thought, do you guys want to do ToA/GL combo? I think it'll compliment the corthon very nicely, so settlin on the coast might be a good idea.

As for the patch, it should be the latest patch (I use steam which updates automatically).

12. 50_dollar_bag

If we want a coastal capital then East is the way to go, that river is going to end on an ocean somewhere. So I still stand with warrior either NE or SE if we want a coastal capital.

13. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

I don't know the research times, but I'm pretty sure the worker will take 15 working the marble and 20 working the lake. I'd go with the marble to get the worker out faster.

edit: The river will end on the ocean in the tiles east of the marble, it opens up at the end there. Unless there's a great site over there, I'd stick with just 1NE though. We could make it to the coast in 2 moves by settling on the marble, but any other coastal site we would have to move 3 times for. (Unless the coast wraps around on the north, which isn't likely)

14. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

okay, I'm going to play tomorrow at some point. I'll probably move the warrior SE just to check if there is a great spot for coastal cities. I'll also probably get the worker out faster and then switch to the sea tile for faster research while the worker is farming the corn. as for the amount of turns we each play how many do you guys want to do? I know in the beginning it'll be more, but 15 or 20 to start and then when do we decrease?

15. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

The most common rule on turns seems to be to do one round with extra turns (15 or 20), then go to 10 for the remainder of the game. Others do 15 turns while in peace, and 10 at war. Either is fine with me.

You might also consider adding the common rule that if you are next to play, you need to acknowledge receipt of the game save within 24 hours, and play & post your turn set within 48, or you get skipped.

16. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

How about we do 20, then 15 for the rest of the round, and the go to turns of 10. and we'll go with the 24 hour receipt 48hrs to play it. I'll get to the game later today.

Okay I played the first 20 turns. I built the worker and explored with the warrior. I fortified him on a hill since he had to face one of two lions and luckily he survived. I also researched agriculture and masonry. it should time out well so that BW will be finished after the worker finishes building a quarry on the marble and mines the pig. It looks like we have tundra to the SW of where our original BFC was. i met 2 of our neighbors. one is pretty close so we may want to consider an axe rush if we get some close copper. I would have posted this last night but my internet was down

17. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

18. dl123654

dl123654 King

Did I miss reading that this a secret SG? Should I not post a progress report too? Thats going to make this game difficult. I got it for later tonight.

19. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

Yeah, include progress reports, please. A secret SG with no communication allowed between members would be an interesting exercise, but it wouldn't do much for the respective skill of the members, which I think is the point of this SG.

At the very least, it'll let slackers like me comment on progress from work.

20. 50_dollar_bag

I third that notion. :)