1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

emperor war help needed!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by brutusrox, Dec 12, 2012.

1. brutusrox

brutusrox Chieftain

Brace yourself, this is one extended cry for help!

so ive been playing on emperor recently and i usually take the approach of a war elephant/chokes (chinese xbows) catapult attack around 0AD or earlier for elephants. all goes well i usually win but i dont finish till about 1000AD! i am usually always far behind in tech, poor economy afterwards and i feel like im playing catch up the entire game. in some instances however i wait and tech to rifles and cavalry or rifle/cannon spam the AI. but by the time i have gotten to rifles (usually before everyone else), an AI has become mega powerful and capted another civ. It isn’t to long before I fall behind in techs and they outtech me again.

I feel most of my war problems could be fixed with a quicker war plan. Ive tried whipping in the early game, however I usually fail. Correct me if im wrong but the guidelines I follow for whipping are, don’t whip until after a granary, work cottages, whip unhappiness/unimproved work tiles, chop trees, Cut off enemies metal supply, take over weak cities if some cities are too strong and to work a binary tech system. However, I did the math, and by whipping im producing im producing less enemies then if I were to take a production tactic. Only other thing I could think of would be to only whip if u have certain resources in your capital like a gold/silver/gems source, two 5 food sources etc… and as for drafting rifles, I have never tried and if someone were to give the “guidelines” for that as well it would be much appreciated. Also, if someone could give me there strategy for the tactic, "after killing one AI and then right after attacking another" without killing your economy or falling behind in techs, it would be much appreciated.

Also, is binary teching the only way to, lets say, not fall behind in techs during a long war (even though when u use the binary system, you aren’t teching till after the war. But that playing catch up is much easier)?

thanks!

2. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

Binary should be fairly easy during war if you are capturing cities...

Also, take a couple of cities, sue for peace to gain some gold and techs, replenish your forces during the ten turns of peace, and then declare again. Always try to find their main stack and take it out quickly, this usually puts you in control of ending the war, as you've dropped their power rating.

Also, whipping an army is definitely faster, I'm not sure what math you did...

If going phants/cats, tech up to construction, whip and build your cats while you get hunting, archer, and horseback riding. THEN whip out your jumbos.

3. shulgi

shulgi Warlord

You might be able to beg gold or techs more than you are doing right now. Pushing for monopoly techs so that you can still trade with those who are getting ahead. I am always shocked by how much it hurts my empire when I lose lib. Yep, I have these problems as well.

Are you trying to capitulate your first enemy asap or conquer? I've had to push for feudalism earlier than just needing longbows for capitulation.

This question is a good one but it does fall into the mechanics of the entire game - empire management, military strategies, the best teching economy...

4. thbrown81

thbrown81 Warlord

When you are pursuing an early war, you want to make sure you have a GP farm with at least two scientists running. This will keep a few beakers flowing when you are running 0% research, but more importantly, help you bulb a couple of techs that you can swap around to keep yourself from getting too far behind.

5. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

When you say you win about 1000ad do you mean win that particular war or win the game?

First bit of standard advice: play the map.

Second bit of standard advice: post an early save and play a game on the forum.

6. brutusrox

brutusrox Chieftain

I always conquer them, caping isnt usually an option because feudalism is out of my reach tech wise.

And i usually finish my first AI around 1000AD

7. shulgi

shulgi Warlord

Are you using enough siege weapons? If you are losing too many of your axes/swords/elephants, more siege is needed.

Also, emperor AI vassals are pretty decent, I push for feudalism earlier than I used to - also for hereditary rule/monarchy. You most certainly don't want them to peace vassal to someone other than you.

8. ben-jammin

ben-jammin Emperor

Don't research the same techs the AI goes for. From emperor to deity techs like music and compass are actually really good choices. High trade value, even if they dont do much for you otherwise (particularly if yo uarent the first to music).

9. Kadazzle

Kadazzle Emperor

Whipping is much more efficient and quicker than normal production early. You don't need to wait until Granaries to whip, but they are much more efficient if you're doing large-scale whipping because you're not wasting food.

You should be finishing your wars quicker than 1000AD if you're using Cats and Phants. Play the map, don't just war because you think you have to.

Binary research is used because beakers round up in this game, so it's generally more efficient to use it (but not always).