Empire Building?

FaIaChad

Chieftain
I do not know if people would like this or not, but there comes a time in the game where it becomes to easy for me. At that point its just boring, so some games I wont go for a domination victory ect. Instead maybe a diplomatic, but take my sweet time doing it.

In this effect I was wondering what people thought about Empire Building, or "Nation Building" as we call it here in the US. For instance Player 1(me) invades player 2(France). Now instead of destorying the city or taking it over what if for instance you set up a puppet government. In a sense when you take it over it gives you the option, 1.)establish a gov. 2.) destroy or 3.) A new French Nation.

The new French nation would become sympathetic to you, and become your ally. So if I need to have a loyal ally on a certain continent, or if Im going for a dimplomatic victory and some nation hates me. I re-build it by taking it over. That way instead of destroying the vote you get a vote. Or you have an ally on that continent if something should go wrong.

FaIaChad said:
I do not know if people would like this or not, but there comes a time in the game where it becomes to easy for me. At that point its just boring, so some games I wont go for a domination victory ect. Instead maybe a diplomatic, but take my sweet time doing it.

In this effect I was wondering what people thought about Empire Building, or "Nation Building" as we call it here in the US. For instance Player 1(me) invades player 2(France). Now instead of destorying the city or taking it over what if for instance you set up a puppet government. In a sense when you take it over it gives you the option, 1.)establish a gov. 2.) destroy or 3.) A new French Nation.

The new French nation would become sympathetic to you, and become your ally. So if I need to have a loyal ally on a certain continent, or if Im going for a dimplomatic victory and some nation hates me. I re-build it by taking it over. That way instead of destroying the vote you get a vote. Or you have an ally on that continent if something should go wrong.

This is an interesting idea, but maybe it's better to extend that :)

I propose the following:

A new civilization can be created when one of your cities becomes independent - either you allow it, or it wants to cede by itself (other cities can be added by "giving" them away in current Diplomacy interface). That Civ will retain the nationality (and technological level) of the most dominant nation in its capital.

If you allowed creation of that civ, it will start with huge diplomatic bonus towards you (perhaps Gracious), if civ had to fight against you for its indepence, it will be probably Furious.

That way, your idea can be implemented the following way:

You capture a French city. You don't want to deal with resisters and corruption, so you press a button in the City interface something like "Create a new Civ" or "Make independent". Voila, you have a new Civ that is Gracious towards you and you immediately offer her military alliance against France and whatever you wish.

To strengthen that Civ (if you really want), you can give her whatever forces/money or even cities you want.

^^ Some good ideas there.

Perhaps you should have an option to install a puppet government if you capture another civilization's *capital*? There could be a number of seemigly unpredictable results when you do such a thing, including a civil war, a puppet state, a rebellion, etc. It would make the game more interesting for sure.

Ive always enjoyed pondering this idea. Especially since it is in use heavily by the US today. Afghanistan and Iraq are just 2 of the most recent.

You could even say Japan as Douglas Macarthur helped remake Japan into what it is today.

there could be a military doctrine, so that this "new nation would become sympathetic to you, and become your ally" won't be the common thing to happen. let's say, if we have an evil doctrine, the units on the cities would enslave the people (see japanese occupation in china during the ww2) or a righteous doctrine (see marshall-plan, occupied nation becomes your ally).

You mean an option like "satellize" a nation, creating a "puppet state", a "dominion" or an "autonomous gov"... could be very useful -and prevent civil wars-, yeah.

These are being used in another game called 'Victoria, an Empire under the Sun' (a Paradox game)

Top Bottom