Empire Crashing

plasmacannon

Emperor
I'm having some issues expanding peacefully on larger maps with lots of empty space between me and the next empire. The costs seem to escalate to the point where I find myself running at 0% Research with an angry empire on one side and barbarian cities on the other. Both streaming in units.
I can built up enough units to defend the cities (3-5 in each), but advance very slowly after that.
It usually happens around the time before I can build wealth.
It's probably the unit maintenance cost, but there shouldn't be such a heavy cost to research, just because I used production to build more defenders. That seems odd.
If my horse city isn't connected and mounted built, the adjacent empire usually has a stack roaming around my empire pillaging, preventing me from improving my empire.
Is this part of some Infinite City penalty?

By the way, I only had 5 cities. IIRC, I was Stefen I of Hungarian and Rome was next to me. No SVN. Slowest game speed.
Though this has happened on other games as well.

I think I need to improve my gameplay. A little more challenging on Raging Barbarians, which I like their battles in the early years.
It's just that, well, what do others do here when the foes are so far away and still in Classical times?

You probably need to expand slower. The fact that you can settle a city does not mean you need to do that ASAP; your break-even point is a good indicator of when you need to stop expanding - if you research under 50%, I'd think twice about founding another city before economy improves (obviously there are times when you need to do that, especially if you have close neighbors, but I tend to use this as a rule of thumb). But another important component of your tactics - especially with Raging Barbs - is strategically placing observers (ideally recon units promoted for +1 visibility) to reduce barbarian spawn (again, ideally to the point when you can reliably build and not lose land improvements, thus improving your economy).

The problem with Recon units is that Barbarian bowmen are out far earlier than we get those units and they have 100% vs recons. So, I tend to guard hilled choke points and mined hills with archers. I guard cow, corn, horse and other flatland resources with militia then shortswordsmen. Preferable with at least Land Tactics and Pacification 1, eventually adding combat 2.
Yea. I used to use 30-50% Research as an indicator. Depending how important that next city location is. Since I rarely ever have Copper, if I actually have it nearby, I go for it.
If I am playing Suleman of Turks with Leg/Exp I usually make it a point to expand as fast as possible. In other games where I build the Pyramids before my first settler, I have expanded rapidly after that to catch up to other empires.

You don't need to actually fight barbarians with recon units - the very idea of placing them at proper points is that no barbarians will come from there anymore. If placed on a hill, it will see quite a lot of territory, and barbarians will not be able to spawn there - when placed on, say, a peninsula, you will not have to worry about it anymore. And even if they stand in the way of advancing barbarians from elsewhere, since they have 2 moves, with some active management, you can always outrun them and then return to the same spot.

Sure. Works well spotting up territory near a coast or lakes especially from a hill, but heavily wooded and hilled maps tend to reduce their visibility. ;(

Top Bottom