1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

"Empire of the Smoky Skies" Scenario

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Pouakai, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

The so-called "Victorian Science Fiction" scenario is one of the most intriguing points revealed in the release. It sounds like a Steampunk scenario, but what do you think it will actually entail?

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I think they'll go all out with this one. Certainly new units and probably new techs.

Civ2 had a Jules Verne scenario. I could see that being a bit of an inspiration.

3. Haig

Haig Chieftain

I'm very excited about it, I've been also wondering about it's map..Europe or whole world? Will it include America? In "what it" scenarios the American Civil War has been in use so maybe on the scenario Union and Confederates could duke it out..

They could put Dutch to represent the Boers that fought with British during the Victorian era, also it'll probably include Africa and colonial powers. Then again it can be a total fantasy setting, who knows..

But because the other two scenarios (Fall of Rome and some sort of medieval one) go in sync with some of the new Civs like Celts, Carthage and Byzantine, I bet that a new Civ goes along with the Victorian one. Zulus maybe..

4. anandus

anandus Errorist

I've loved the scenarios so far, so I'm really excited!
    Not only for this one, but also the other two.

I wonder if there'll be a GSR in the scenario? A Giant Steam Robot :p

5. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I'm gonna give all my money for the ability to play even a proxy version of Austria-Hungary for the moustachey glory of Franz Joseph. I'm a sucker for good steampunk, the name "Smoky Skies" implies it right in your face. I presume there will be at least zeppelins. I'm afraid there will be a fantasy map while a real-world scenario would be really welcome.

6. Hankc

Hankc Chieftain

I'm usually not into scenarios, but this sounds really good to me. If nothing else it could be a good core for a steampunk mod for the core epic game.

7. CivilizedPlayer

CivilizedPlayer Chieftain

I'm guessing it will probably be designed to make use of the espionage feature, as the other two scenarios probably won't involve any of that, and I'd assume they'd want to show it off in at least one of their scenarios.

8. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

I think Medieval Europe would have a fair bit of Espionage

9. Haig

Haig Chieftain

If I recall correct I've read about the techs for espionage come into play from renaissance and forward. Can anyone confirm this?

10. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

I remember reading that somewhere Haig.

However, scenarios normally have their own tech tree, so I dont see that becoming a problem.

11. Souka

Souka Chieftain

Maybe the huge number of new units for the extension also counts the units only for a scenario?
    If this one has its own tech tree and its own units, I can see how we end up with almost 30 new units...
    It's a bit misleading, but since I like scenarios with their own tech tree, I won't complain!

12. Optional

Optional Chieftain

Perhaps even later. I don't feel like looking it up again, But Dennis Shirk mentioned religion will still be quite strong in MA and Ren, then make place for espionage.
    In Civ III espionage was an Industrial Age tech. Little chance of that in MA.

13. CivilizedPlayer

Yeah I remember that Renaissance is around where religion begins to become (gradually) less important, and it's also where spies come into play. So my guess is that some sort of espionage will be important here. And the medieval scenario's already got religion more than covered, so I doubt that will be a major factor in this one.

14. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

The name kind of reminds me of Bioshock Infinite...maybe the cities will be floating in the sky?

15. CivilizedPlayer

Well we know it will involve empires, and that the skies will be smoky.

16. PSPSoldier534

PSPSoldier534 Chieftain

^
    qft.

17. anandus

anandus Errorist

According to this: http://www.webhallen.com/spel/pc/149528-civilization_v_expansion-gods_and_kings
    Adn the other two scenarios:

18. Art Grin

Art Grin Chieftain

Let's speculate what civs will be playable in the scenario. I suggest those civs:

1. Great Britain
    2. France
    3. Russia
    4. America
    5. Austria
    6. Prussia/Germany
    7. Ottoman Empire
    8. China
    9. Japan
    10. Spain
    11. Sardinia-Piemonte/Italy
    12. Scandinavia
    13. Persia
    14. Some latin-american civs like Brazil, Chile, Argentina or Gran Colombia
    15. Egypt
    16. Boers or some other African civs like Zulu, Ethiopia,...

19. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

This sounds interesting to me to tell the truth.

20. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well America I would split into Union+Confederate (Texas and California should be CS)
    and definitely have Mexico+Brazil+Argentina

Scandanavia and Egypt might be CS

I'm guessing a lot of "Natural wonders" and Ancient Ruins. (And some really hard to move through terrain in certain areas)