Empire split by fall of the capital when playing with less than 7 civs

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Osvaldo Manso, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Osvaldo Manso

Osvaldo Manso Warlord

I have a question raised by reading another thread of this forum.
    I always play Civilization choosing 7 civs and I know that to trigger the split of a large empire, I need to capture the capital city AND there must be one empty slot for the new civ (i.e. at least one of the initial civs must have been extinguished).

I was wondering if that condition is also necessary when playing with less than 7 civs.
    For example, in a game with just 3 civs you get a 4th civ by capturing the capital city of your rival even if none of the 3 civs has been eliminated?

2. Mize

Mize Prince

Free civ color should mean splits are possible even if nobody has died yet.

3. Theov

Theov Deity

From pages 350/351 of Rome on 640k a Day:

If a computer player's capitol is captured, but that player still has other cities left in its civilization, a civil war will break out if all of the following conditions exist:
    • There is at least one civilization not in the game that can form a "rebellious" faction (i.e., the Babylonians have been wiped out, so the Zulus are waiting in the wings.)
    • There are greater than four cities remaining in the civilization that just had its capitol captured.
    • The civilization that has just had its capitol captured is larger than your civilization.
    When a civil war occurs, the civilization that just lot its capitol will get a free Palace, instantly creating a new capital city. The "rebel" civilization will also get a free Palace and the cities of the "old empire" will be divided between the two warring factions.
    So, no. Having someone eliminated is not necessary, just a free slot is necessary.

4. Osvaldo Manso

Osvaldo Manso Warlord

Thanks Theov!
    That is such a great book.
    I guess iIt's time for me to read it again.