1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Enabling capturing of great people?

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by Question, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Question

Question Chieftain

We can capture builders/settlers but im not sure what allows that.

In the units.xml file, GP have : CanRetreatWhenCaptured="True", but even when I remove that part, you cant capture them.

What do you need to change so that they can be captured like settlers or builders?

2. qqqbbb

qqqbbb Chieftain

UnitCaptures table.

3. isau

isau Warlord

I'm not sure it's possible. The correct answer is the UnitCaptures table, but that table requires you to name a UnitType to capture. That's easily done with other kinds of units but Great People work differently than most units.

4. Question

Question Chieftain

Which file is the UnitCaptures table in?

Edit : Nvm, its in Units.xml

So i put :

Code:
        <Row CapturedUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL" BecomesUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL"/>
           <Row CapturedUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_MERCHANT" BecomesUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_MERCHANT"/>
           <Row CapturedUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_SCIENTIST" BecomesUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_SCIENTIST"/>
           <Row CapturedUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_WRITER" BecomesUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_WRITER"/>
           <Row CapturedUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ARTIST" BecomesUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ARTIST"/>
           <Row CapturedUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_MUSICIAN" BecomesUnitType="UNIT_GREAT_MUSICIAN"/>
    But the GP instantly dies when i move a military unit in their square with -100 health damage. Why? GPs are still the civilian class...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  5. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Like @isau said, GP are treated a bit differently from other units. It might be better to say that UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL is more of a class of unit rather than an individual unit as each GP is defined individually and then assigned a GP Type. Try changing the BecomesUnitType to a Builder and see what happens.

6. Question

Question Chieftain

The thing is i dont want to turn them into builders, i want to convert the GP into an identical GP for me to use...why cant it just flip the ownership flag?

7. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I was suggesting you have them turn into Builders as a test to see if they can be captured at all.

8. isau

isau Warlord

Capturing does not work that way. Basically when a unit is "captured" it creates a new unit owned by a new player. I don't know for sure why, although it may be to make sure the captured unit inherits any Modifiers the Player has and any Modifiers from the previous owner are dumped.

9. Question

Question Chieftain

So why cant the capture system see "okay this is GP X" and create a new GP X in that tile? Surely their programmers can figure out how to look up which GP it is and clone it. I mean, you can capture cities...

10. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Sure they could, but it was probably more effort than they thought it was worth given you'd need to also have the captured GP inherit the number of charges left so there were no duplicate Great Works or things like that.

11. Question

Question Chieftain

OK i was able to capture great artists but they dont have their charges so they are useless...im guessing theres no way of re-adding the charges back?

Im confused as to why great generals instantly die though...

12. isau

isau Warlord

Because they programmed the system according to what they needed and not what modders needed. The only normally capturable units are Settlers and Builders, so they built and tested the system for those units.

13. Question

Question Chieftain

So theres no way to make GPs properly capturable?

14. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy