Encampment equivalent for water tiles

Do you want to see a water equivalent of the encampment?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

twsworld

Chieftain
There needs to be a district that can block the movement of enemy units and have a ranged attack like the encampment, but for water tiles. I don't know what to call it, however I think it would be extremely useful and it's odd that there isn't one already.

I disagree it needs to be an additional district because we have Harbours and they can encapsulate the general idea and I agree it would be useful.

However, I think the best implementation would be to have Harbours capable of ranged attacks only on coast and ocean tiles (otherwise it's OP and also unrealistic) and for that ability to come in the Renaissance era only if a Shipyard has been built in the Harbour and Metal Casting has been researched.

So you'd put that ability in with a star icon on the Metal Casting technology which would be the easiest way to go about it. I say Metal Casting because that reflects your civilization having access to cannons which would be the first effective sort of naval defensive artillery historically speaking.

Maybe an civ could have an Unique Harbor that works like an encampent for water tiles

Or you could be able to build the encampment in water tiles too, being able to fire both on land and sea. Granted, that's not a huge improvement, especially since you can already build encampments in coastal tiles (?) and working that way, and also the fact that it would require a rare coastal tile adjacent to land.

So I think Harbors able of firing could be ok, although i find it a little bit odd that they could shot only at water tiles.

A nice thing though would be fortresses that you could build in the middle of the ocean/coast, without requiring adjacent land. In the same maneer Petra is "creating" a rock and other similar wonders. It could even maybe be a wonder with shooting capacity ?

Actually this is my proposals long ago. Naval Base which is more military inclined. This is where Coastal Battery should be. (and should be built independently to Walls, also not affected by Steel tech Auto-Wallings. i.e. If you built walls without building Coastal Battery, this district earns no combat ability on its own, in contrast if you build Coastal Battery without any walls. this district can still be able to defend a city.)

I remember using a mod that adds a naval base and coming across the mod with the coastal battery. Both of them were part of larger mods that tend to conflict with a lot of other mods.

One thing to add is that this addition would mean you could have a ranged unit inside a coastal encampment, a ranged land unit and ranged naval unit inside the city, and then you'd have another ranged attack from the harbour.

That seems like it would need bombers to overcome.

Top Bottom