Encouraging a defensive war -- smart, or crazy?

iwn

Chieftain
I see 2 possible positives of trying to incite a war without initiating:

1) You might actually get the tribute demand.

2) If/when you go to war, you don't get to choose where/when but you get all the HUGE defensive bonuses built into the game.

I'm up against Shaka with a tech lead against him. He has 2 vassals which are both weak/far behind. But given the enormous border I'm thinking of just centralizing my army, demanding at every turn, widening the tech gap while maintaining some flow of units, and moving units in proportion to where his own army goes, expecting an eventual war call.

If nothing happens (very unlikely given its shaka) I initiate at tanks and bombers. Right now we're just before cavalry.

I've never done anything like this though (usually I'm scrambling to churn out units after being caught off guard).

Is this a viable strategy? If not, what would you do different?

I suppose it depends on the situation in each game, but in my last game as toku, I beelined gunpowder and rifling and was untouchable by the AI using combat III + protective gunpowder units.

Yes, not a bad idea starting the war (and it will come anyway as you point out) on your premises. Accumulate great generals (especially if you have TGW) and also gain promotions easy (especially if charismatic). Beware of lost traderoutes also to vassals. Perhaps an unhappiness issue. Would also go nationalism first.

That would also be a very good strategy for Cyrus.

That also reminds me of setting up those custom map Cyrus of Japan OCC always way aggressive AI games - You tank and farm godly levels of EXP, and Samurai get upgraded to CRIII + Drill IV rifles, then you win.

It would be tough to tech with two traits that provide almost no economic benefit and no buffer city to absorb the AI attacks. You would likely have to deal with quite a bit of pillaging.

If you have a tech lead and built a decent stack, take him out now. Cuirs (or rifles or cannons) vs longbows is plenty of tech lead.

Ditto

my vote = crazy

I see 2 possible positives of trying to incite a war without initiating:

1) You might actually get the tribute demand.

2) If/when you go to war, you don't get to choose where/when but you get all the HUGE defensive bonuses built into the game.

I'm up against Shaka with a tech lead against him. He has 2 vassals which are both weak/far behind. But given the enormous border I'm thinking of just centralizing my army, demanding at every turn, widening the tech gap while maintaining some flow of units, and moving units in proportion to where his own army goes, expecting an eventual war call.

If nothing happens (very unlikely given its shaka) I initiate at tanks and bombers. Right now we're just before cavalry.

I've never done anything like this though (usually I'm scrambling to churn out units after being caught off guard).

Is this a viable strategy? If not, what would you do different?

If you are in a position to take out invading stacks you might as well just declare now.

After you successfully demand, don't you get peace treaty for 10 turns?

Yes, you do.

Scout out his stack and declare. If you are worried by the size of his stack wait for it to enter your borders and wipe it out. Then attack Shaka full on taking out his capital asap. It's unlikely he will cap with 2 vassels. If he or they lose half their cities they should split and vassel to you. Not an exact science.

Top Bottom