1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

End of the World as we know it.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I've read a book by Pirs Anthony (sp?) called "Macroscope". Its a Sci-fi book set in 1980'-90s. I'm not going to tell you what the book is about in case you will read it in future. One thing that really caught my attention and scared me was the the "beginning of the end".

Spoiler :
    humans have constructed a marcoscope - device allowing them to see distant planets. Of course intelligent life was found. And in all 4 cases where it reached the stage of "civilization" it was eliminated by pollution or resource-depletion.

This scared me a great deal. Come to think of it we are not far of from the same faith as those civs. Overpopulation, depletion of resources, global warming, pollution, nuclear weapons + terrorism, crisis and breaking of environmental "circles" (food chains, water flows), mutations and so on. Of course some say that our technology will help us deal with all of that. Seriously with all those problems to solve (and they are getting bigger over the years) and so much population do you really think we can survive as a species?

I opened this thread to hear your views. Do we come to an end slowly but surely? Or will something help us survive? Or you don't care about this and think its our childrens problem?

I urge you: no trolling, no country-blames, no nationalism, please keep it a clean on-topic thread :).

2. MrRats

MrRats Back for a while

But the civs didn't survive that long, if we were always able to watch them with a mario-scope thing, right? Humans lasted longer than they did.

3. Gelion

Gelion Captain

4. Paradigne

Paradigne Emperor

We could have a decline of civlization, even as far back as the stone age, but we, as a race, are here to stay...

5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

I watched a Discovery PLanet thing, and it said that humans relocated to another planet, so I think that stuff may happen, but humans won't die out (thank god!)

6. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

Put it this way: the next generation do not exist: they have no rights. I owe nothing to non-existent people.
    Anyway, this Ende of ye Worlde stuff is nonsense. Terrorism is no threat, nor is nuke warfare. Pollution isn't a big enough problem, either.
    And overpopulation... well, all have we have to do is bring back the Nazis every few decades or so.

7. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Its the kind of attitude I expected :blush: Oh wel...

8. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Gelion, there's a [ spoiler ] tag which is very nice. I care, and I think that since we got this planet from our parents, we have a responsibility to pass it on to our children. Now some are not doing that. :nono:
    If they don't care, why should anyone care about them?

Corsair, anyone who suggests "bring back the Nazis" clearly has no idea exactly what happened under them. Please. Find a history book, grow up, and get some morals. Does "get some more Osamas" ring the same way, to cure the overpopulation by having terrorists murder your civilians?

9. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

One thing the Nazis did exceedingly efficiently was deal with overpopulation. ;)
    Anyway, that would be a very extreme solution. Europe's population is falling quite fast, and China's one child policy is working well. All we need is to keep India under control, and overpopulation will never be a problem.
    And more Osamas wouldn't work- he didn't kill people, just make them miserable.

10. Tassadar

Tassadar Master

It depend, if we create a new economic system where infinite growth isnt the goal, then maybe we could reach an equilibrium.

But with the actual savage capitalism, the stronger want even more and they are in a position of power, so i doubt that will change, rich poeple would prefer to die insteed of loosing their power.

I dont know, maybe a new french revolution; the populace revolt and cut some of those big head, but again i doubt, they have learned and are very well protected by police force.

If we dont find a cheap replacement for fossil fuel, then i beleive it will be pretty ugly when the world will be short of it.

So indeed a civilisation collapse surely can happen after the lack of fossil fuel.

11. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

99% of all species have died off without descendants.

12. zeon252

zeon252 Keydet

The world will not end, at least in my lifetime. We humans are too resourceful and good with tools and imagination for our own good. When the time comes that resources are depleted from the Earth we will move on to other planets so long as it is profitable. For the next 300-500 years or so I do not see that happening.

While this is true almost all of those extinct organisms were mostly bacteria or single celled.

13. Stefan Haertel

Stefan Haertel Title

Why am I working for an ecological company if there are so many people with such an attitude out there?

14. test_specimen

test_specimen hope lost

My guess is, that if we keep our behaviour up we will run out of fuel at the next turn of the century, which will lead to a widespread famine and extreme population decrease, especially in cities. Population might stabilise, in the long run, at a level about the same as early 19th century and will be distributed according to the availability of natural ressources. We will survive probably another several thousand years, but without the power of fossil fuel we won't be able to explore space and will ultimately get extinct like the dinosaurs.

The current time, after WWII and before the energy collapse, is definitely a golden age for Europe and N. America.

15. Zeekater

Zeekater hasn't been using drugs

If nothing changes we will run out of pretty much everything in about 50 years :)
    If we want our children to live in a same way as us, we will need to cut back 85% energy consumption, 80% gas consumption, stop 99% of making animals go extinct, etc...
    These numbers are based on what we still have and how much we deplete every year.
    I can't give any sources cause I read it somewhere and can't find it on the net, but I'll try to find any :)

16. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

The end of the world, humanity, civilization? NOT ON MY WATCH!!!!!! :aargh:

17. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

I don't think we can expect revolt in the West until it's far too late. The propaganda machine is too slick, and with wide media dissemination what it is, most people are content to swallow what the business establishment tells them. If people were aware and not apathetic, we would not tolerate corporations that rape the Third World or governments that spend what they do on weapons.
    I hope people will be forced to come to terms with the looming energy crisis before we destroy our planet. My fear is that those largely responsible for the damage will never have to live with the consequences, since they will be able to afford to live in "gated communities" (=enclaves) with full access to air, water, and resources.

18. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    The world will never end for a LONG time ;). The sun will eat the planet earth by the time we colonize part of the Milky Way ;).

19. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

BAH!!! The Plutonian Empire will have the whole universe and beyond by the year 4000 A.D.!!!!!

20. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

Huh? With enough detail, you could extrapolate the history witnessing it.