Ending Moivie and Wonder Movie DLC will buy!

dacole

Chieftain
So I have a thread for this on steam but I thought I would post here also would link to the steam thread but seem not to be able to get a link for it on steam anymore. I try to post in it reasonably often though to keep it on the first page.

I would buy a dlc that had movies for wonders and endings. Doesn't even have to be graphically up to level of opening movie (though I would pay more for it if it was) Alpha Centauri level would be fine. Important part THINK about the wonder what it means the ending and what it means make the movie fit the ending and the wonder. AC did this incredibly well (and the opening movie does it very well). Even after youtube I would build wonders I didn't need (and that was any by the time I got good at AC) simply to see the movies as they added a feeling of accomplishment.

To head off some of the discussions I saw on steam. Talking about how should have been in in the beginning how terrible DLC is, isn't going to be productive even if I might agree with you. Firaxis has to choose what to spend money on and many modern gamers don't care about these things (as shown by the only 13 posts on my steam forum and three of them being me) especially if you play these games mostly for MP then you are not going to care about such things.

If it is possible to make a good MP and single player game and if civ should concentrate on both or choose one and if so which one is a much larger discussion not for here .. but might be one worth having.

Well, is graphics really that important?

Yes and no. I tried to play civ I again recently and could get over the graphics at least partially. Some games this is more important than others - strategy games less so. For the cinematics it would be important obviously and part of my contention is that for purposes of feel and mood these are very very important. They do not have to be incredible though. The opening movie is incredible and up to that level not necessary. Up to ac level seems fair.

To Oldago7 (how do yo quote multiple posts in these things) - expensive yes and not something everyone cares about (*shakes fists at all the young MP whipper snappers*) this is why DLC would be the way to go. If I want it I can buy it if I don't I won't. Crusader kings 2 went this way with different music and unit graphical styles. Seems a fair way to go here.

Some games this is more important than others - strategy games less so. For the cinematics it would be important obviously and part of my contention is that for purposes of feel and mood these are very very important.
I'd argue that "I want cinematics" is just a simplistic shorthand for the perceived lack of atmosphere and immersion. Lots of people play Civ:BE, feel it's a bit bland and generic, then compare it with more atmospheric games... which often have cinematics and hence conclude it's the lack of cinematics that causes said lack of immersion.

Since, I believe, the lack of atmosphere is the real problem, it's what really needs to be addressed - just tacking on cinematics wouldn't do much. SMAC had better voiced quotes and made the background info and interludes more visible. Civ5 builds a lot of atmosphere with the UI and the very beautiful wonder paintings - or the little music pieces from great musicians. Endless Space/Legend creates a very interesting world with "collages" instead of proper cinematics.

As a result, I don't really want cinematics, they'd feel tacked on. I want Civ5-style wonder paintings when you level up in your affinity, I want faction-specific voice overs, I want quests with better writing and more interesting little graphics...

In other word: cinematics would be a band-aid, the whole game needs an injection of immersive details.

Top Bottom