Enemy AI

CaptainChaos

Chieftain
So, I'm late in the game, at war with China, super friendly but not necessarily allies with France, Rome and Aztecs and everyone else is guarded. I have been kicking serious butt just rolling over China which formerly was supremely stronger than me, but now is just a few turns away from the history books. All of the sudden the Aztecs went from treating me as their very best friend, wishing me well in my war against china, to being very hostile and publicly denouncing me. Is this b/c I am too successful? What gives with the AI? It seems very fickle. Any thoughts? (Vanilla).

it could be a warmonger penalty (even if it's a war you didn't start, taking cities increases the modifier) but vanilla civ V's AI is notoriously volatile and unpredictable, so you might just be suffering the results of your neighbours' psychosis

I would certainly keep an eye on your "friends" as each of them will backstab you. As for Monty in my experience he is usually like that. I would guess your warmongering score crossed his threshold or one of the positives you had with him expired or both. I just ignore them until it is their time to lose cities and die.

yes, much better

i won't say the AI is exactly great even in brave new world, and people will still dislike you for warmongering, but AI behaviour is much more understandable and less prone to random aggression and changes in tune

only the specifically crazy AI personalities (montezuma, shaka etc) will act their parts

Top Bottom