1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Enemy of the People

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

I'm watching Chris Hayes on MSNBC and he has some media guests on to discuss Trump calling the media "enemy of the people", which Trump changed to the fake news media. Yes Donald, we know you weren't calling Fox and Friends the enemy of the people.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-says-only-the-fake-news-are-the-enemy-of-the-people/

Now what I found amusing was one of the guest's (Bob Garfield) response. He called Trump un-American... I thought thats what Trump was implicitly saying about you, Bob. Two sides shouting traitor at each other about sums it up. I find the accusation repellent, abhorrent, disgusting, nay, un-American. When have politicians been free of opposition media? It was far worse in the past.

The charge of 'fake news' sticks because its true... Its just a hypocritical accusation. Are there any 'fair and balanced' media outlets un-contaminated by partisan politics? Preferably something on TV... Or maybe we need the partisanship, the 2 sides fight it out flinging mud at each other and somewhere in the melee the truth makes brief appearances.

Nexlev likes this.
  2. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Ah yes, more "CNN is as bad as Fox" drivel. Been a while since we had some of that again.

Azem.Ocram and hobbsyoyo like this.
  3. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

PBS, I suppose.

4. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Theres big money to be made in the 24hrs news channels and this is what happens when the country becomes increasingly partisan.
    You do know Trump has made a habit of attacking the media, (as well as law enforcement, intelligence services, minorities, immigrants and so on)
    It worked During the Primaries, like on Cruz whos father killed JFK, so Trump is now going to employ it on the national and international level.

As for the Media, Hayes is a bit of a blow hard, I prefer Colbert.

5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Maybe Trump reads Ibsen? ^_^

6. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

I dont watch either but it aint about being 'as bad'. If the Democrats insist on employing media outlets to attack Trump and defend Democrats they're both bad.

7. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

That is a ridiculous statement. Are you unable to listen to and sort out arguments and claims for yourself. First, is it ever possible for a president of any party to do something un-american? What would be the criteria to support that claim in your mind, I might have different criteria? If that criteria is met for you, would the person calling them un-american be bad, much less equally as bad as the putative un-american president.

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

What arguments do I need to sort out showing the fake news label was unearned? You'll need a different quote if you want to discuss what it means to be un-American. Again, I'm not interested in 'equally bad'. Both parties and their mouthpieces flood the country with propaganda and both accuse the other of being un-American. I dont know if its possible to be un-American, I'm not sure what it means. I just think its funny for media people to get mad when they're called un-American while they're accusing critics of being un-American.

9. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Theres always 4 Chan and inforwars ? /s
    Its election time, you know the Drill Berzerker, illegitimate black children, secret Muslim Kenyan, Benghazi nothing like whipping up your base in time to vote

10. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

That is Berzerker you're talking to, right?

11. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

LOL Trump gets treated with kid gloves by most mainstream outlets. The constant and easily verifiable lies would be tolerated from no one else

12. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

The pithy line seems to be by Hemingway, Trump did not create distrust of the media. Distrust of the media created Trump.

I am baffled that anyone capable of keying such a comment would choose to do so. There is open enmity toward the President.

J

Mechanicalsalvation likes this.
  13. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

How would you rate it against what the right media sources were doing to Obama? In your opinion of course.

14. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

I wouldn't trust them either, not that infowars is a news outlet.

Do you think the media is largely unbiased and apolitical? If not, distrust was earned. I mean, the Democrats routinely blast Fox news as "Faux" news, but when the Democrat media is called fake news Democrats howl with indignation.

Amen

I didn't realize the media was tolerating Trump's lies.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  15. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

Not only do they tolerate them several mainstream outlets help propagate them.

Lexicus likes this.
  16. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

You've used this phrase a number of times, it seemed to refer only to MSNBC at one point, can I assume you've now broadened it to include any media outlet that isn't Fox?

17. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

The NYT's op-ed page is literal wall to wall Trump apologia, but they sure are in the bag for those Democrats, aren't they?

18. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

an odd turn pf phrase... :dubious:

19. miaasma

miaasma Chieftain

yes, democrats and republicans both suck, the two party system sucks, we get it

this doesn't make every jab at republicans hypocritical because both groups being bad does not mean both groups are equally bad

i can level a criticism at republicans without giving a democrat a happy under the table and so can most people here, so i don't get the need to constantly bring up how bad democrats are whenever republicans are disparaged. are you trying to be subversive? because that's my thing

Azem.Ocram, rah and stinkubus like this.
  20. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

That and NPR are the best ones I run into, usually. Unfortunately on ,my local NPR station they run public editorial spots often enough when I'm listening that I tend to turn them off as much as keep them on, anymore.