1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

EnemyDamageChance

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Frossa, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Frossa

Frossa Chieftain

I played the Conquest of the New World scenario, and I find risking getting damaged upon ending your turn in hostile territory to be a highly immersive and exciting feature I simply need to implement in my own games. Looking in the files for the scenario I see the Scurvy Promotion which causes it, utilizing the EnemyDamageChance and NeutralDamageChance columns.
    When attempting to recreate this however, the columns don't seem to be doing anything. The new Promotion shows up in the game just fine, but Units with it are not taking the expected damage, even if I set it to <NeutralDamageChance>100</NeutralDamageChance> (this should mean they have a 100% chance of taking 10 HP of damage each turn).
    Do EnemyDamageChance and NeutralDamageChance just not work without some kind of Lua configuration or something? I tried looking throughout the rest of the files for the scenario but couldn't find anything that seemed to be related to this feature, so I'm rather clueless.

2. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Click here and here
    There's so many hundreds of thousands of things that could've gone wrong, and modders aren't psychic.

3. Frossa

Frossa Chieftain

Sorry if I was unclear, but this is not a call for help with something that isn't working. I haven't done anything wrong in the process of trying this thing out, I was just wondering if somebody happened to know something about the above mentioned columns...

4. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

:confused: Then what did you mean by...?

My impression was therefore that you had in fact attempted this and maybe you misspelled the column name or whatever else.

5. Frossa

Frossa Chieftain

Ah. Well, no. It's just that they clearly don't seem to be working. I copy pasted it from the official Conquest of the New World XML files. Googling for EnemyDamageChance yields no answers either, so I guess it's just uncharted territory in general. Quite surprising, you'd think the modding community would be all over this feature.

6. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

We would want to have a look at the actual code of what you are doing and in what "context". If in a mod, you should just add the mod as an attachment to a post whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial

Firaxis is using lua to give all the European Players the Promotion for "free", and then allowing a redrafted version of the Public School (Which they turn into a "Navigation School" within the Scenario) to remove the Scurvy promotion for units constructed in that city.

I didn't really see anything else in the Scenario's lua file that would lead me to believe there are additional implimentations for the promotion in there, but most of the Scenario Lua-files are convoluted enough it would take more time to examine what is going on in there.

Just bear in mind that the Firaxis-made scenarios are all their own special-snowflake environments, and what Firaxis wrote-into the game's LUA/DLL code is not always something the average mod-maker is able to use. A further examination shows me nothing within the Scenario's "TurnsRemaining.lua" anything they are doing within there to impliment the "attrition" effect. So I would have to say there is still something you are not doing right, or just plain old *sigh* Firaxis.

As a side note, JFD has a similar if not the same effect in his ExCE mod (Exploration Continued Expanded).

7. Frossa

Frossa Chieftain

The functions of the Promotion being delved away in some obscure or unreachable line of code somewhere is what I feared from the start. I will look into JFD's mod though, maybe there's something there I can use. Thanks. :)

8. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Without a corresponding <NeutralDamage> entry, it actually means you have a 100% chance of taking 0 HP per turn.

Which is why we ask to see the totality of what you've actually edited/written, otherwise you're asking us to guess.

9. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

His question has me even more confused now, because the New World Scenario's TechTreeUpdate.xml has:
    Code:
    	<UnitPromotions>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>PROMOTION_SCURVY</Type>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_SCURVY</Description>
    			<Help>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_SCURVY_HELP</Help>
    			<Sound>AS2D_IF_LEVELUP</Sound>
    			<CannotBeChosen>true</CannotBeChosen>
    			<EnemyDamageChance>65</EnemyDamageChance>
    			<NeutralDamageChance>65</NeutralDamageChance>
    			<PortraitIndex>57</PortraitIndex>
    			<IconAtlas>ABILITY_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
    			<PediaType>PEDIA_ATTRIBUTES</PediaType>
    			<PediaEntry>TXT_KEY_PEDIA_PROMOTION_SCURVY</PediaEntry>
    		</Row>
    	</UnitPromotions>
    	<UnitPromotions_UnitCombats>
    		<Row>
    			<PromotionType>PROMOTION_SCURVY</PromotionType>
    			<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_NAVAL</UnitCombatType>
    		</Row>
    	</UnitPromotions_UnitCombats>

But I don't see NeutralDamage or EnemyDamage anywhere.

10. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

New World (DLC-2) is G&K

Conquest of the New World (DLC-7) is BNW

BNW added the two new columns

11. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

Ah, OK, thar she blows!
    Code:
    		<Row>
    			<Type>PROMOTION_SCURVY</Type>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_SCURVY</Description>
    			<Help>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_SCURVY_HELP</Help>
    			<Sound>AS2D_IF_LEVELUP</Sound>
    			<CannotBeChosen>true</CannotBeChosen>
    			<EnemyDamageChance>50</EnemyDamageChance>
    			<NeutralDamageChance>50</NeutralDamageChance>
    			[COLOR="Blue"]<EnemyDamage>10</EnemyDamage>
    			<NeutralDamage>10</NeutralDamage>[/COLOR]
    			<PortraitIndex>57</PortraitIndex>
    			<IconAtlas>ABILITY_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
    			<PediaType>PEDIA_ATTRIBUTES</PediaType>
    			<PediaEntry>TXT_KEY_PEDIA_PROMOTION_SCURVY</PediaEntry>
    		</Row>

'Interesting' that the G&K definition of UnitPromotions has the two columns, but they weren't used in the G&K version of the scenario's promotion. Just one more helpful consistency from Firaxis, I guess. I should know by now, however, one should always play the here's a folder, there's a folder, everywhere there's another folder game when attempting to see how Firaxis used something.

12. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Or do what I do and just look in the C++ source code

Spoiler :
    Code:
    if(... getEnemyDamageChance() > 0 && getEnemyDamage() > 0)
    {
        ... apply enemy territory attrition
    }
    else if(getNeutralDamageChance() > 0 && getNeutralDamage() > 0)
    {
        ... apply neutral territory attrition
    }

13. Frossa

Frossa Chieftain

I guess looking in the pre-BNW scenario files didn't help, but I really didn't expect there to have been any difference between the Promotion in the vanilla scenario and the Deluxe one. There not being an input for the amount of damage dealt each turn just made me think it defaulted to 10, like in the New World scenario.
    But anyway, adding the EnemyDamage columns did work, so thank you so very much :D and apologies for the confusion.