[GS] England is horrible now

That's a fair point even though it doesn't seem particularly game changing. If you could start taking cities you can probably finish taking cities regardless of Eleanor. I'll try upping my aggressiveness meter next Elaenor game i go for and see what the results are like.

I played completely peaceful. I had no military to speak of really. I just find coastal cities make more money than inland cities, plus you get your trade routes up faster. I rush buy a lot of theater square buildings, then later bought a lot of great works. money is great for everything.

One thing to do is just boost the value of strategic resources. Currencies mean nothing when supply far exceeds demand. Maybe have units cost resources each turn they are outside of friendly territory. It would be nice to represent supply lines in some fashion in Civ.

And maybe give Englad an additional +1 resource generation in cities with workshops. Not sure that would make worskhops worth building though.

My major problem with Canada is that if you do not start anywhere near tundra, half of what makes the Civ unique is unavailable. You cannot build ice hockey rinks, cannot take advantage of tundra farms (meh), cannot cheaply buy tundra or snow tiles, and cannot take advantage of double resource extraction from said tiles.
And if you do start near tundra, the best you can leverage is tundra farms to make tundra into... unimproved grassland. Why not just start in grassland at that point?
I think canada should have gotten +1 food to all tundra. Russia has prod and faith; which makes their tundra like plains+. Why not let canada make tundra into farmed grassland?

I like the idea for where they are going with england, it's thematic, more production, potentially a bigger industrial era fleet. It just isn't a big boost. And with phoenecia muscling in on some of England's mechanical space around colonising it makes sense to expand on the industrial aspect...

I have no idea why they didn't give Canada more food, especially given how much they gave inca and mali.

I feel like both civs are a case of 'nice theme not pushed far enough'.

England looks good on paper, but they make continents too large.

England should get a bonus to building settlers once there is a second religion in one of its cities....Maybe a free settler if one of their cities changes religion (limit one per religion).....

God. I tried to resist posting. I really did. But just can't help myself. Sigh.

England are more fun than they were in RnF, but yeah, they're pretty weak overall. They may get better if some of the mechanics they leverage get buffed in patches or another expansion (colonialism, military engineers, and resources / power).

But even then, they'd still be really underwhelming, particularly compared to Civs that riff on the same ideas (Phoenicia in particular).

They've basically gone from being trash / super boring, to just sort of thematically fun but totally bottom tier. I more or less agree with @Victoria 's summary of their abilities.

I think the +2 yields to powered buildings is underrated.

Yeah, I've been pondering this and Tier 3 buildings generally.

I think the powered yields for Tier 3 buildings and England's additional +2 yields might be underestimated once you factor in cards like Rationalism and Opera which double building yields.

These yields are still not actually that strong, because these yields come so late in the game (which is maybe more about game pacing) and the underlying buildings are so, so, soo0 expensive.

So, "underestimated"? Yes. Actually good? No.

And that's only gold, culture and science yields. Hammers from factories are just totally rubbish. An extra +2 hammers are a joke, and you can't double those with any cards.

WotW needs a bit of a buff, if you ask me. England should get a lot more out of having factories.

I'm really hoping the next couple of patches really tweak stuff, including England and a bunch of other mechanics. Guess we'll see.

England should get a lot more out of having factories.
The standard factory workshop gives +2 and what else? For how much? Then the factory comes along and is in my view worse than it was before because you now need to spend even more friggin production getting very little addition.
You can WOTW it and it would still be rubbish and not worth doing. It is a district for the production mongers amongst us but as a good sound game mechanic the maths do not stack.
There is so much more they could have done with England, the museum was actually very handy and clearly removed for Eleanor.
England is not vanilla though. You can be a strong naval power because you suck up all the admirals amd the mausoleum is not hard to get for an extra charge. Even with the extra engineer charge I would not bother with factories.
The redcoat rush is strong but so late. It is about survival and science push but is just another Dom troop, but with embark powers.

Chuckle.

Yeah, England's +2 Hammers for Factories is just the worst, isn't it?

I mean, you start with the IZ, which is a very weak district. (I get you can boost it's hammers with the Craftmanship Card, but it's still not a great district compared to just having a few mines.) You then get a Workshop which is just awful. And then you get a Factory which is ... well, it was rubbish in Vanilla and RnF, and is now rubbish with extra steps (I mean, +5 hammers total???).

... God, the Factory is actually worse than that. Because I only get the five hammers once I purchase a flipping Powerplant in that city.

And on top of that, unlike the Tier 3 Buildings, there's no card which doubles IZ Building yields. (Which, to be clear, I think is a good choice re: gameplay, but the IZ buildings then need to reflect the fact there isn't a card that boosts them.)

And what does England get? England, which was famous for its factories?

An extra +2 Hammers.

Can't double them because no IZ building card.

So, it's really, really just +2 Hammers.

Making your utterly, completely, entirely useless Factory... still kinda useless.

Gah!

I'm not going to repeat my suggestions for the millionth time. But good grief, there's a lot of tuning needed with all these mechanics.

Last edited:
Well, buildings like broadcast tower and research lab are also powered buildings so you can get extra culture, science, etc.

Of course, this brings the problem that t3 buildings cost way too much and you'll probably only have them in your biggest 2 or 3 cities except the extreme-lategame when you won't benefit much from them anyway

@iammaxhailme England's +2 yield is slightly better for buildings that aren't the Factory, because those buildings generally provide more valuable yields (science and culture) and you can potentially double them cards like Rationalism. But yeah, even then, Tier 3 Buildings seem too expensive and too late and just aren't very interesting anyway (just yet more yields).

My point was that WotW is maybe flavourful, but is currently a bit of a damp squib generally. But the +2 Hammers for Factories is particularly damp and squib like.

Sigh.

because those buildings generally provide more valuable yields (science and culture) and you can potentially double them cards like Rationalism.
It's clean, just writing "+2 to powered buildings," but it is ironic that the districts with the most valuable yields also have the building cards. The gold buildings produce less than they "should" too, but not everyone can be Mansa Musa.
Now if it was +4, that might make it too much with the cards for FXS's liking. But I think that would qualify as a hearty boost. Everyone seems to like the idea of WotW, at least.

Of course, they do allow Newton & Einstein's bonuses to be doubled, so maybe the balance team should check themselves before they wreck themselves...

I think the best way to tune WotW will probably depend on how FXS tweak MEs, Resources and Power / Factories / Tier 3. For example, I could see FXS giving the Factory the Coal PP's adjacency, so you'd have to consider that too if they did.

Even with a buff to WotW I do think the RNDs is maybe a touch weak. Although, maybe if they just fixed the +1 Movement, I'd be happy (or better yet, made it +1 Movement for units built and or upgraded in the RND).

Overall, I think England are in a better place now, even if they still need some tweaking and maybe some buffing. That said, one change I don't like about England, is that it's gone from this Civ that had sort of very straightforward bold bonuses to a Civ with lots of bitsy bonuses. I also like how in Vanilla, England sort of had 2 unique units and 2 unique infrastructure.

Last edited:
I gave Engleanor a whirl today. As a few people had pointed out the dockyards do give you a pretty nice income from which you can buy whatever you need to hold great works in whichever cities you take. Maybe I was a bit harsh in saying there were limited synergies with her ability and England's kit. Cheap harbours are nice and money always helps.

How about districts are build 50% faster in powered cities?

Woudln't kick in until you have a coal plant or something, but the coal plant could give power to nearby cities...

Top Bottom