1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

England Stratagy Help

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by ElliotS, Jun 15, 2013.

1. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

The only guide I found on England is Vanilla. Even though they only got the extra spy when G&K came out, it seems like the Navel re-balancing would be a major buff. It also looks like a massive amount of that guide no longer applies.

I'm pretty new to the game, so please don't assume I know anything past the very basics. I play mostly single player right now, but I also play multilayer with 1-2 friends pretty often. Even then we use AIs. I always play on Large or Huge maps, and use shuffle or continents.

To avoid wasting your time, here's what I've got so far:

England is best suited to Warmongering as soon as they hit Astronomy. (Confirm?)
    England is able to go either wide or tall. (Confirm?)

So, can anyone here give me some help learning England?

Specific Questions I'd like an answer to:
    1-What order should I research techs?
    2-Can the Longbowmen cannot get the +1 range promotion on top of their normal extra range?
    3-If not, can Gatling guns get it after I upgrade them? The result I'm looking for is 3 range Gatling guns.
    4-What Wonders should I go for? Is the Great Lighthouse worth building, or just to capture?
    5-How do you play England? Why?

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate it. -Elliot S

2. eisforeccentric

eisforeccentric Chieftain

I wouldn't consider myself an "expert" on England, but I've played as Elizabeth a few times. The highest difficulty I've played on is King, so I can't speak for the highest difficulties, but here's what I do.

I've usually started with at least 3 hills in my starting location, so I usually go mining first, then beeline optics. I would say yes, go for the Great Lighthouse. After that, start heading towards Astronomy and Navigation, but keep up with the ranged unit lines so it doesn't take forever for you to get Longbows. Be sure to pick up IW relatively early as well, as if you don't have iron you'll need to find a way to get some so that you'll be ready for SotL when you research Navigation. After that it's pretty easy: ride your navy to victory.

I've gone both wide and tall as England, but since domination is probably the best VC for Lizzy, I'd go Liberty and then Commerce. If a CS near you has iron, Patronage might not be a bad idea either.

3. Unresolved

Unresolved King

If you're on a land-heavy map(like Pangaea), then rush Longbows and take over as many civs as possible(hopefully all of them). If you're on a water-heavy map(like archipelago), then rush Navigation and use SoTL's to take over the world without breaking a sweat. I would avoid building the Great Lighthouse because the AI on higher levels usually gets it early and the movement bonus is not worth delaying your overpowered UU's.

4. Shanksie

Shanksie Chieftain

Hi there :)

Bit of a Lizzy fan myself for exactly the 2 reasons mentioned above:
    Water map: Rush Iron & SotL (and do build Great Lighhouse) if water map, warmonger as soon as you can put boats in the water.
    Land map: Rush Longbows

It's just a case of playing the map / situation and deciding to prioritise either land or sea and modifying things depending on the difficulty you play (i'm fairly new to this, so I dabble ~Prince currently).

5. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

If I can't build more SotL because of using all my iron on current ones, should I build other boats or strengthen my towns?

I'm on the one with a lot of small islands right now and taking towns every 2-3 turns with my navy, but I'm not sure what towns should be doing.

6. eisforeccentric

To fully answer your question we'd need more information, like your GPT, Happiness, etc. I assume you're not razing the cities you're capturing, but are you puppeting them or annexing them? Can you spoiler some photos for us?

7. Jelster

Jelster Prince

With England, you can really do with a good Sea Lux start, and go for the Gt Lighthouse, which should be possible up to, and including King. I tend to prefer a continents or large islands map.

I play England often, and tend to run a 1 or 2 city NC strategy, rolling out 4-5 cities in total. In the early game get your science moving so you can get up to your UU's ASAP. The Longbow with it's 3 range gets caught out in uneven ground, so keep your eye on that one.

As you get 2 spy's, keep 1 in London and the use the other you need to.

Ship of the Line - This beast can own the seas, it's faster and stronger than a frigate, and I normally have 6-8 of them, in 2 fleets each with one or two Privateers.

Get a religion to help you with gold and happiness, go take on the world....

8. eisforeccentric

I forgot to mention in my previous posts that the Longbow comes with the Range promotion, and so it can't get it again to have a range of 4. Consequently, no range 3 Gatlings :(

9. Lordleoz

Lordleoz Prince

Hi,
    Actually, England is better suited to warmongering after longbowman comes, because they are such an excellent UU. Build loads of lbms and place them three tiles away from the enemy city (better on hills). Also get one or two mounted units waiting nearby. When the health bar of the city is close to zero, use the knights to capture it. Lbms could survive with 100 health, and move on to another city. That's how I use them.

In renaissance, use amphibious invasions to attack more. SotL works extremely well with Sun Never Sets.

England could be tall in early stages, but should be warmongering after Medieval, thus be wide in the most of the game. Be peaceful in ancient and classical era, because England would be played better if it constantly gets high GPT, builds a few critical wonders like the Great Lighthouse (tech Optics asap), and gets some happiness-boosting religious beliefs like Ceremonial Burial.

10. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

This is a multiplayer game I have saved, so I'd rather not load it up without everyone in the game, that would feel like cheating.

It's turn 189. My BPT are about 110. I made 3 cities and until I got NC in cap. Then I used liberty ulti to get a great scientist and make an academy. I went from falling behind in tech to top dog.

Using Desert Folklore I have about 50 faith per turn, because I started on desert with a nice river running through it. My beliefs are the +1 Happieness per city, Cathedrals, Guruship and Just War. I've read that Guruship+Cathedrals can do great things when going wide, and it seems to be working pretty well.

I've got about 60 culture per turn, and have completed the Liberty branch and am working down Commerce. Would you use Honor with England? It seems like it could be useful for earning logistics on everything.

Happiness seems to be a non-issue this game. I've got 2 luxes next to my cap, and 5 next to other cities on my island. Not to mention all the CS that love me for saving them and workers from barbarians. It's been between 20-40 all game.

I have about 124 GPT. It used to be lower, but now that my military is earning it's keep and taking cities it's jumped up.

I've been annexing every city that's somewhat usable. The first thing I build is a courthouse, followed by a market it it's got good gold tiles. Then a harbor and maybe library depending on how many pop. I want it to have. Following that I'd build a Colosseum and then focus on making units for the most part.

Does it sound like I'm doing things right? Thanks again, you guys have been a lot of help.

11. Ra's Head

Ra's Head Chieftain

Like strategies for any civ, this varies a bunch based on difficulty. It sounds like you are winning the game you are playing now pretty solidly. Here are a few thoughts:

1 Your beakers per turn seems a touch low. I know you have a tech lead, so it doesn't matter, but I generally try for 200 bpt at turn 200 (or more). Maybe focus a little more on growing your capital and core cities earlier?

2 Only annex if you have a reason to. If you just want them to make gold, leave them as puppets. Really only annex if you need the city to strategically rush buy or build units.

3 In general, England is very strong because Frigates are very strong and SotL are a bit stronger. If possible, build Galleass and use them in a war to gain experience before upgrading them to shorten the time to logistics. Use privateers to bolster your navy and distract your enemies.

4 If you are only building 3 cities to start with and conquering the rest, you should at least consider tradition. The happiness bonus in your capital will outstrip Meritocracy for most of the early game in this situation and the growth bonuses are very strong. Honor (at least the left side) is great for England, and at lower difficulties you can start with that just fine.

5 It isn't clear if you are fighting the other humans in multiplayer or cooperating. If in conflict, you need to focus a lot more on your units because your opponents will actually understand how threatening your navy is. The AI is easily outmaneuvered and manipulated once you get practice, but humans are much less predictable.

12. EditorRex

EditorRex Master of Allusion

ENGLAND DOMINATION STRATEGY

I had played a lot as England on lower levels and have been playing as King with mixed success. I'm not an expert on overall strategy, but I can offer some good advice specifically on England. This is clearly a domination strategy, though it can probably be used effectively for other plans, such as science.

LONGBOW EARLY CONQUESTS: Rush them within reason, but you'll also need to build a few other units, preferably Horses or Knights, and probably some Spears or Pikes. I don't always bother with Swords, but they're OK as well. I usually do a four-city start with Tradition/Liberty, going for reasonable Wonders while teching up and getting enough science. I'd often like to have Education and decent progress toward Navigation before I start my Longbow war, though the AI may not give you a choice. I've often found that the AI undervalues my longbows and DoW when they probably shouldn't.
    Taking a city with longbows, you need to position them with line of sight to attack the city and any defenders it sends out. You want to maximize experience on these units because they are going to form an elite corps of special ability troops for future conquests. Use that 3-tile range to keep them out of the cities' and ranged units' lines of fire. Use other units -- spears, etc -- to divert fire. Once you've reduced the city defenses to zilch, send in a quick unit (i.e. mounted) to take the city, usually to puppet it. Be careful about when you take a city because if you just lose it again, you are often much worse off than you would have been by not taking it. Your goal early on isn't just to take enemy cities and especially capitals, but to get your longbows advanced up to 2 attacks. I usually go for 3 rough terrain bonuses, then the extra attack, though on some maps I go for open terrain instead. Balance time to take early cities carefully without incurring much damage to yourself or risking losing them again quickly, along with sufficient experience to keep your longbows improving, against the need to keep going. If you get bogged down in any one conflict for too long, you definitely lose the advantage of this strategy. As soon as you can, try to have barracks and other experience improvement in cities that are going to be kicking out longbows. When you have a choice, try to give the shot to the unit that's going to move closer to the second attack the soonest. Depending on the opponent/map I usually treaty fairly quickly with a Civ once I take their capital, then move on to the next one.

SHIPS OF THE LINE: As great as your longbows are, they aren't great for amphibious assaults and they tend to become less useful as your opponents get better defensive units and build walls. But this is where your other UU comes into play. The strategy here is remarkably similar to what I described above. I use Caravels/Pirates to take enemy cities that I've bombarded into smithereens with my SHIPS. Keep in mind that you don't start with range, so I recommend seeking that promotion as early as possible, with 2nd attack being the next priority. You will usually kick out some Great Admirals rapidly when playing with this strategy. I've generally found that the AI is exceptionally poor at defending against this sort of attack.

SPIES: Because you've bee-lined somewhat to get your UUs, you will probably be behind a bit in some of your other techs. You want to be sure and meet civs around the world as soon as possible so you can steal from them. I usually find that the most advanced civs by this time are the once on the opposite side of the world, not the ones near me that I've been pounding into submission. You want to watch your game balance carefully here. You don't want to piss off a Civ who's about to build nukes by stealing Gunpowder -- if that happens you are already lost. Don't fall too far behind, so don't neglect your universities, public schools, great scientists, etc. Keep in mind that spies can only steal techs to which you have a path, so if you're stealing a lot, try to research/bulb techs that will open more paths while stealing the most advanced ones. I never bother much with spying on CSs and rarely play Patronage, though others may recommend those strategies.

LATER MILITARY TECHNOLOGY: Longbows advance to Gatlings and Machine Guns, for which the range bonus is 1+1=2 instead of 2+1=3, and this put them within a city's defensive perimeter. These are still valuable units and will defend better at this point. If they have 2 attacks, they are especially nice. But you have to begin using them differently. You could keep them as longbows, but unless your opponents are way behind in tech, they just don't do much damage any longer. However, your Ships of the Line advance much more nicely and you will have very powerful naval bombardment units -- just make sure you built enough when you could. It's a good idea to mix in a few Catapults/Trebuchets/Cannons/Artillery during your early rushes, more to get experience than to actually assist your longbows much. When you get into the later game, these will advance up to very powerful high-range units. Similarly, you may find your early mounted and speared units with experience more useful as they advance up later in the game. You'll also want to build muskets, rifles, planes, bombers, etc., as these new types of units become available. BUT this England domination strategy works best if you don't wait too long to knock out your foes. I recommend trying to kill your last opponent's capital before they get past Modern techs. If possible, make that an opponent with a seaside capital, because this is the part of the game in which that will be your biggest edge.

13. IAmOzymandias

IAmOzymandias Warlord

longbowmen are really OP

that is all.