England - Victoria Thread

So does this maybe mean that America is not one of those three civs then, since its Teddy that has the second UU?

No. :hammer2:

In fact, someone else pointed out that they thought it was odd that this video didn't distinguish between leader and civ when discussing bonuses at all this time around.

It's entirely possible that they did that so people would stop reading into the whole multiple leaders idea.

Maybe "bully" is just a word they used to dress up the point and not a special mechanic.

We don't know whether there are melee ships at all. With the ability for cities away from the shore to have harbors, the usefulness of melee ships is greatly reduces.

Good point.

Does that mean I can sink 'em without starting a war?

In the Civ V context it meant that you could force a city-state to give something to you without going to war with the city-state, but there were still diplomatic repercussions.

I think the Sea Dog can force a naval vessel from another civ to give them money or surrender the unit to England without a declaration of war, but with diplomatic consequences.

Victoria, pirate queen.

Also, do we all think the Sea Dog replaces the Caravel, or does it mean there are Privateers again?

I think there is another piece to the England UA that they aren't discussing yet, which is fine since it's a first look after all.

I say this because Ed Beach specifically mentioned that they wanted UAs to be effective full game essentially and museums traditionally spin up late game. Some one speculated in this thread that England may have something that allows them to ignore an anti-expansion mechanic(if there is one) and that would make sense why they didn't discuss it yet since such a mechanic hasn'the really been fleshed out yet. (Outside of the need for water, amenities, housing).

Also, do we all think the Sea Dog replaces the Caravel, or does it mean there are Privateers again?

I hope the "prize ships" mechanic is exclusive to England, personally. Makes it all the more unique and powerful.

I think there is another piece to the England UA that they aren't discussing yet, which is fine since it's a first look after all.

I say this because Ed Beach specifically mentioned that they wanted UAs to be effective full game essentially and museums traditionally spin up late game.

However, their Unique District spans the entirety of the game. Harbors should come online with a relatively early technology. Also, while Archaeologists are certainly a later game things, museums appear to be mid game.

I say this because Ed Beach specifically mentioned that they wanted UAs to be effective full game essentially and museums traditionally spin up late game. Some one speculated in this thread that England may have something that allows them to ignore an anti-expansion mechanic(if there is one) and that would make sense why they didn't discuss it yet since such a mechanic hasn'the really been fleshed out yet. (Outside of the need for water, amenities, housing).

That's true, although keep in mind that the unique district probably will appear as early as sailing and be there for the whole game. :p

No. :hammer2:

In fact, someone else pointed out that they thought it was odd that this video didn't distinguish between leader and civ when discussing bonuses at all this time around.

It's entirely possible that they did that so people would stop reading into the whole multiple leaders idea.

In which case they've confused matters further with their inconsistency :p

They seem to explicitly point out both UUs this time are English UU's though in both the video and the blog. Doesn't necessarily rule out one being Victoria's, but seems unlikely

Can we get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to write these articles?

That thing about blood is actually straight plagiarism from the Wikipedia article on Redcoats.

IIRC, they went with a single color in order to prevent friendly fire and picked red because it happened to be the cheapest thing available.

That thing about blood is actually straight plagiarism from the Wikipedia article on Redcoats.

Or it's just a myth, the Wikipedia article itself says "There is no known basis for the myth that red coats were favoured because they did not show blood stains."

Yet this preview says that they were chosen for that reason.

Kind of funny that a simple wiki-search was all the fact-checking you'd need.

I think Vicky's Agenda is either:

a) have the biggest navy

b) colonize other continents/capture cities on other continents

c) balance of power, ally against strongest civ

I think her agenda is "wants to own cities on every continent".

It fits nicely with the Redcoats and the RNDs.

Top Bottom