1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

England - Victoria Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jun 28, 2016.

1. masda_gib

masda_gib Warlord

Sooo.. at least England still is IN somewhere :)

Since all of them are dark, my guess is: So that you can easily see the GUI/Text on top of them whithout opaque windows. They are backgrounds after all.

2. JtW

JtW Prince

Regarding the whole "US vs England" discussion and the number of UAs: there is always the possibility that they let their patriotism run rampant this time around and that the US has more abilities than other civs. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the fact. I only hope they manage to balance them somewhat.

3. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

but why is there even UI/text? u should be able to just speak into the microphone whatever you want to trade and the leader should respond to you and u should right click to shake on it. I mean what do u think this is, a game?

4. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

No. That`s not the point at all. There have been many completely historical MALE English leaders in England`s history. And there is no rule for female ones exclusively in Civ games except the one you just made up. There is no reason not to have a male leader by now. Or have a choice like in Civ 4.

Let me remind you it won`t be that long before we`ll have a King in England again.

5. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

A good argument that we've not seen England's civ UA yet is the fact that Ed B said that the civ UA applies to the whole game while the Leader UA only applies to an era. The "british museum" UA would only work after you get archaeology so it can't be the civ's UA. And the video has not given us any UA that would work for the whole game. Whereas the American civ has the founding fathers bonus that works for all governments AND an extra UA AND 2 UUs and 1 UB. So if England really only has the Museum UA, 2 UUs and a UB (district), that seems a lot weaker.

6. Hajee

Hajee Prince

But we seen it in the video it explains the 4 unique components

7. JtW

JtW Prince

I think you're missing the point. The point is this: Firaxis wants diversity in their ruler roster. Most countries lack iconic/strong female rulers. England doesn't. So it's simply easier for them to pick Vicky or Elisabeth than to pick an English male ruler and search for female rulers in countries that didn't really have them. Look at Civ 5: Maria of Portugal? Boudicca?

So: your point is moot as Firaxis has other selection criteria than you do.

8. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Speaking about the Leader/Civ separation it's pretty interesting. British Museum is for culture, while Redcoats, Seadog and Royal Navy Dockyard fall under expansion category. In addition, Seadog and Royal Navy Dockyard are about naval superiority, while Redcoats and Royal Navy Dockyard are also about fighting for foreign continents.

If Victoria's ability is "Sun never sets", the most logical balance is to have British Museum to be civilization UB, while the rest belonging to Victoria. However, this separation looks very different from things we've seen for China and US. Could be interesting...

EDIT: Or it could be British Museum and Seadog to be civilization-related, on the second thought...

9. masda_gib

masda_gib Warlord

But what if I want to play at night, when my better half is asleep? Or at work? I can't speak then! :mischief:

But maybe the backgrounds get brighter the better relations you have with a civ. Direct visual feedback: friendship = brightness. Then everyone will be happy. :p

10. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

Between this & your signature I'm getting the impression you have a tendency to whine about feminists on the Internet. Where do you think that comes from?

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

England is one of the few civs that can be represented legitimately by a female leader, and even more unusual that it has several female choices. So England will pretty much always have a female leader in Civ because so many other civs are pure sausage fests in the leadership department.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

so misleading, I thought that Tom was finally going to get the recognition he deserves:( #Betrayed#NewEnglandbestEngland#downwiththeBroncos.

on a serious note: we finally got to see a Unique District (UD?) which is awesome, Victoria and the Redcoats are cool been missing those since Civ IV. I wonder exactly what the "bully" bonus is, I hope they release another video today. but lets just how they get a schedule.

13. Hajee

Hajee Prince

Right! when you think of England you think of the Queen! I dont get this whole male/female debate seems sexist IMO.

The queen is more notable than the king is today

14. Spaceturtle

Spaceturtle Chieftain

I think she's still unfinished though. You can see the eyes clipping through the eyelids in a couple of frames. Still four months until launch.

I don't mind the dark backgrounds. They make the leader stand out more, and the menus will be easier to read.

15. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Looks like Archeologist have names, the one in this screenshot is named: 'Mildgyd'

Also there is a new resource on or behind a mountain in the upper right corner that looks like a crystal or a Orchid flower.

Also there are some rocks in the river, maybe that is a river crossing where you can cross without movement penalty (or just a detail).

Attached Files:

16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Good catch on the Archaeologists.

I believe that resource is gems and it's on the mine tile being cut off at the top of the image.

17. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Again such beautiful animations. The animator responsible for them is clearly the unsung star of Civilization VI for me.

18. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Duke of Savoy

I find that the Royal Navy Dockyard is rather boring as it doesn't really seem truly unique.

19. JtW

JtW Prince

It sounds like a strong ability though.

20. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

For those making the comparison between England and America, I think the strengths are pretty comparable.

Let's really look at America to England fairly. I'm not going to bother with any of the "UU, UB, UA" labels and I'm going to focus on the bonuses each civ appears to get; since there seems to be an odd bias in breaking Teddy's bonuses into more than one type while ignoring that Victoria's bonuses affect more than one thing too, they just typically stem from one source;

Spoiler :

The unique district of England enhances the entirety of her majesty's Navy so long as you're building your fleet in your Dockyards. The +1 movement, combined with the extra Great Admiral points and the fact that one of your era units has the chance to increase the strength of your navy every time you win a battle, I think the +Stronger naver Vs. +Stronger Army bonuses is a bit of a Wash. The difference is that England's "Stronger navy" comes from more bonuses than just a flat combat increase. It's more interesting.

We don't really know the effects of the film studio, but it enhances whatever affects of the building it replaces. England has enhanced museums as a baseline, and more archeologist which means they can further increase their culture/tourism output and also deny culture tourism to other civs by generating more archaeologists (and therefore uncovering more digs; if digs are a finite resource like in civ5). I think terra cotta army will synergize well here. Without knowing the specifics of Teddy's park bonus and the film studio, I can still see how England's bonuses here could be comparable to both of Teddy's.

Both get two UUs - that's straightforward. Teddy has some sort of enhanced government effect, and Victoria will make more money off of her empire - again this bonus tied to a district which provides other things as well.

Edit; It's also worth noting;
    The Redcoat essentially has the American Continental combat bonus (though they're probably different in terms of numbers) rolled into it. The redcoats will both be a strong invasion force, but also a defensive force for the parts of your empire that are overseas.