1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

England - Victoria Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Nothing is truly unique. Good ideas get borrowed.

England was renowned for quality ship-building and put a lot of effort into having an efficient bureaucracy to provide material support for the Royal Navy. That is what is being represented here.

2. dataswallow

dataswallow Chieftain

I might be just seeing a non-specific detail on this video, but on the 1:19 mark, there seems to be a windmill (albeit a rather flimsy looking one) on the top left corner of the industrial district.

3. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

To add, the only thing that really surprises me about the video and that I find disappointing is that Victoria's Agenda wasn't touched upon. That to me is the most interesting detail of each civ. Especially since of the 3 we know, the only really interesting one is Teddy's... the other two seem generic honestly.

I'd like to see what direction they take with the bulk of the agendas or if they're all mostly going to be "You have more of that thing that I like." So they like or dislike you because of it.

4. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

Not unique? It gives them back their extra naval moving point from Civ 5 and it gives extra gold on other continents. I'm sure that couples well with naval trading routes.

This couples well with 2 passive side effects.

1. Since its unique, England will build as many as possible which means more naval units which means more dominance of the sea.

2. Bonus on other continents means England will be aggressively expansive and will try to explore as early as possible.

I think of the feeling of being a landlocked empire on another continent and loom to see red and white sails on my shore and shiver that their here to set some colonies....

5. JtW

JtW Prince

FWIW, I think Cleopatra's agenda is rather interesting.

6. Eagle Pursuit

I suspect her Agenda will be less of a "dislikes something" and more like "wants to have cities on every continent".

7. Hajee

Hajee Prince

I would think that she will dislike other civs that found cities on other continents as that is something she wants to do because of the gold bonus and red coat bonus being on other continents

8. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Prince

Certainly looks like a wind turbine.

https://youtu.be/FkIT6iMeYjE?t=1m19s

9. winddysphere

winddysphere Warlord

Oh my god...
    She is pretty much younger and that's a good thing.
    The way she acts though... She reminds me of this character.
    She seems to be the copycat version of Phoebe! (Or at least the usual rich baroness stereotype) I thought about her when I saw Civ 6's Victoria. What a coincidence. XD
    Spoiler :

10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

By the way, we have the stats for the Sea Dog:
    Ranged Strength: 50
    Melee Strength: 40
    Movement: 4
    Attack Range: 2

11. Eagle Pursuit

Interesting. I was expecting it to be melee.

12. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I'm happy they went with young Vicky for leader. And I agree in that it seems similar to America, but thats probably because they are both expansionistic civs, that said I like the idea of exploring and hunting for resources, having enclaves in every continent, and getting gold and artifacts from everywhere. I only hope the AI actually plays expansive.

As for Agenda, I imagine Vicky will like civs that she can trade with, (and don't mind having a new neighboor) and will hate civs that won't trade or tell her not to settle nerby.

13. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Prince

Can't it be both? Is the melee strength for defense? If it can capture enemy ships, I'd assume melee too.

14. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Duke of Savoy

That's fine but you could argue the same for any other Civilization that happens to have an extremely advanced navy. Perhaps something with specificity like a dry dock or wet dock which was commonly used by the Royal Navy. All I'm saying it's rather vague and dull. Gameplay wise it is quite opposite though

15. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

For the past, oh let's say two centuries or so, a year with a female monarch of England has been more common than male.

I'm also curious as to why this upsets you so much but I'll just let it go.

16. Eagle Pursuit

In civ V ranged units have (melee) combat strength for defense. I assume it is the same here.

I'm thinking the description of bullying and capturing ships described in the video is starting to make sense.

Sea Dogs were privateers who raided Spanish treasure ships.

So I'm thinking that a Sea Dog can run up next to an enemy vessel (possibly only damaged ones) and use an ability to bully the ship. It probably has a large chance to gain gold and a small chance to transfer control of the unit to the English.

17. Calyxx

Calyxx Warlord

I would argue that 'dry dock' and 'wet dock' are even more generic. And I also think that having a shipyard as a unique for England is reasonable; certainly England had outstanding dock facilities during the empire era, far better than any of their contemporaries.

Were these as advanced as US shipyards during WWII? Probably not. But the royal navy secured England's dominance as the most powerful country in the world for over a century, and the highly efficiency shipyards were a large part of that.

Did the French have shipyards during this time? Sure. Were they a strong focus of national policy? Definitely not. It is a good unique for England.

18. Haig

Haig Deity

I love we are getting an imperialistic England that encourages settling/attacking other continents.

Time to stash the museums with stolen loot. ;)

What ship type sea dog represents?

When RN.Shipyard is shown there are two destroyers(?). They almost look like grouped to a fleet.

19. Eagle Pursuit

Elizabethan-era privateers like Sir Francis Drake.

20. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I love that the unique dock creates an incentive to colonize the world and develop your colonies. In Civ 5 it always bugged me how little mid-game expansion was occurring...colonization was so rare because it just wasn't very profitable. I really hope the expansion penalties will not be too harsh and overseas empires will actually be common for civs like England.