1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

England - Victoria Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Duke of Savoy

The point I merely wanted to make is that a dockyard and a Royal Navy Dockyard seem rather similar in comparison to an Ikanda and a Barracks or a Coffee House to a Windmill and of course the aforementioned Roman Forum
    Preferably maybe something like an Entrepot or something of the sort to reflect British colonial interests within India but I do concede to the fact that most buildings are just slightly better counterparts to whatever replace and maybe I should've been much more concise in what exactly I implied.

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

What else would they get though?

In Civ 4 they literally had the Stock Exchange as their unique building.

We haven't seen what exactly the Harbor does (it replaces it right?) and from what I hear I don't think the Harbor gives either money or a bonus naval movement point, so to me it sounds liek a quite good replacement.

3. Calyxx

Calyxx Warlord

To be fair, continents seem to be more explicitly defined this time around (and actually labelled). It would make sense for pangea to not be simply a single continent, but several continents shoved together.

So on a Pangea map, Teddy might get upset about people close to him going to war but not about what happens on the other side of the pangea, which is technically a different continent. England may get the bonuses for stuff on a different part of the pangea.

Hard to say until they define what 'continent' means in the context of the game.

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

What you are proposing would limit uniques greatly because civs could only have generic uniques that apply to all maps. It would eliminate a lot of interesting uniques. Want a civ that is good at naval warfare? Nope, can't have that because it would only work on maps with oceans. Want a civ that is good at expansion? Nope, can't do that either, because it would be weaker on smaller maps.

5. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

While you certainly make a valid point, and there are definitely ways to design Civs and their bonuses without these seemingly specific considerations, I'd like to say, and I hope I don't sound condescending, that I feel it's been apparent for most of the civ series that the "continents" setting and/or some variant thereof is pretty much the base setting in the game. They probably balance with this in mind.

Again, I get what you're saying, but to go to the extremist end of your argument; It'd almost be like griping because not every civ is balanced for the "donut" Map. Sure, playing on donut can be fun and shouldn't necessarily restrict your civ choice... but It's also an obscure setting. Pangea and Archipelago are less obscure and what I consider 2 of the three "main" options... but I don't think it's necessarily poor design to have some civs function better in pangea than others, while some function better in archipelago, because the middle, "normal" game setting has always been continents.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's speculation. In Civ V, many civs had UAs that had several subcomponents. England, for example had a naval movement bonus and a spy bonus. But it all counted as one UA. Mongols only had a single weak component in its UA, but made up for it with powerful UUs. It's a holistic approach to balance.

I feel that it is the same here. It's not how many bonuses a civ has, it's how powerful all the bonuses are combined. So England has fewer bonuses that are more powerful while America has many bonuses that are less powerful.

7. Eagle Pursuit

8. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

We don't know whether there are melee ships at all. With the ability for cities away from the shore to have harbors, the usefulness of melee ships is greatly reduces.

9. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Between Victoria and Cleopatra, I've suddenly switched to the camp that wants multiple leaders. :(

10. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Duke of Savoy

I never said it was bad gameplay wise. I now understand the reasoning behind it and it is pretty decent it just seems bland aesthetically.

11. flairin

flairin Prince

It makes sense that this is announced, because "on this day" she became queen in 1838?

12. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

13. Eagle Pursuit

It was her coronation date anyway. She actually assumed the throne on the 20th. Good catch though.

14. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Still no Agenda.. Such a bummer - seems like an odd thing to leave out.

Great catch. Time to scour the dates of each upcoming week to discern the identity of all upcoming leaders. :king:

15. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

I see it differently.

UAs, as UU or UB can be very complex or simple, hard to argue with that.

In Civ V, the total amount of Uniques for each Civ was the same, even if their complexity or distribution wasn't.

While, at this point, if perfectly plausible that this has changed for Civ VI, It would be nothing short from a huge surprise.

16. paupypaup

paupypaup Chieftain

Did Firaxis ever clarify what a "continent" is? Does it need to be surrounded by ocean tiles? Is there a minimum land size?

17. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Yeah, same here :(

Also irks me a little that what we're mostly describing with Victoria's 'England' is actually 'Britain'. At least Elizabeth's England in Civ V had some aspects to it that predated the union. I get that the ships are meant to evoke Sir Francis Drake-era English Navy, but eh.

18. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Except It hasn't really changed. The language of the first video says Teddy's leader bonus gives him access to the rough riders; it also gives him a combat bonus on his continent and a bonus to national parks. All of this is part of his one bonus, yet everyone is dicing it up into 3 while not doing the same for victoria.

Victoria gets a Unique District which is one bonus; but it does 3 different things.

Her UA is one bonus; but it does 2 different things.

We don't even know the implication of America's UA.

All told, both civs roughly break down to to the following bonuses.

Spoiler :

The above bonuses just come from different sources for each civ. You can't break up Teddy's bonuses but just choose not to break up Victoria's - Ted's Leader Ability may grant 3 things, but it's still one "source", just like England's Unique Infrastructure grants three different bonuses from one source.

19. JtW

JtW Prince

20. Eagle Pursuit

If you look at the America blog, these things are more about providing historical context rather than describing the abilities.